• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bravo, O-line!

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a million years, I never would have dreamed this to possible 10 games into the season. But it is:

The Detroit Lions OL is ranked #1 in the NFL in sacks allowed. Only 12.

And the OL is ranked #10 in the NFL in QB hits. Only 45.

Stunning, really. Especially considering all of the turnover in the off-season. Outstanding job. Big credit to all the players on the unit and the OL coaches. Very happy to be proven wrong.

*Maybe next, Stafford can prove that he's worthy of this elite title. ;)

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the flip-side, however... The Lions defense is ranked 30th in sacks, with 16. Only the Jags and Giants have fewer. Ten teams have 30+, and twenty teams have 25+.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions defense is ranked 30th in sacks, with 16. Only the Jags and Giants have fewer. Ten teams have 30+, and twenty teams have 25+.

That one is the bigger mystery, though part of the problem may be Gunther's almost comical refusal to blitz. With questionable coverage in the secondary, pressuring the QB is an absolute must for the Lions D, especially vs. the better teams in the league.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That one is the bigger mystery, though part of the problem may be Gunther's almost comical refusal to blitz. With questionable coverage in the secondary, pressuring the QB is an absolute must for the Lions D, especially vs. the better teams in the league.

I think you answered your own question. Poor coverage is preventing the extra guys required for a blitz.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think Gunther is a great DC, but if he had autonomy over the defense, you'd see A LOT more blitzing.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor coverage is preventing the extra guys required for a blitz.

True statement. But I think you have to at least blitz enough so that the opposing offense respects the possibility.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you answered your own question. Poor coverage is preventing the extra guys required for a blitz.

I have become less and less pissed each week I don't see blitzing. I've just come to the fact that it ain't gonna happen.

However, do u think the 10-yd cushions presnap hinder our blitzing? I mean, if we're 10-Yds off receivers and the blitz is coming, the opposing qb has plenty of time to adjust and make a throw. But if we move guys into press coverage, even a couple yards off receivers, it makes it much tougher to get a good throw in there. Just my ideas.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add to that. A lot of where we got beat was underneath. Playing scared to get beat deep so they give up the underneath that the Wr's took deep anyways. I'd like to see some more press with some LB's blitzing.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Levy getting absolutely broken off by Bell hurt us yesterday. That play and the Quin/Houston non-tackle TD by Brown were the biggest disappointments to me defensively.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But in the spirit of this thread: another very solid job from the OLine. Warford continues to impress and I think we have two other young fellas that could bookend a good line for years. Very solid job by the unit as a whole this season.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great thread.

Who would have thought our O-line would be so dominant, while our D-line struggled so much?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They are both quite baffling.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We played a lot closer to the line earlier in the year at the curve position and kept allowing huge plays. I honestly thin the regression of Houston is the biggest problem on the team. He went from a decent number 1 or good number 2 to awful.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyhow jayfan I agree. The oline has been brilliant and levy has been as well. Two things I was way wrong about this offseason.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or maybe a blitz would make it so the secondary doesn't have to cover for as long a time?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or maybe a blitz would make it so the secondary doesn't have to cover for as long a time?

You make a good point, they allow the one 80 yard pass play per game anyhow, why not blitz? If it happens, it was going to happen anyhow. They are wasting suh and fairleys ability to disrupt too often by only rushing four. You are supposed to use you strengths to overcompensate for your weaknesses and thats one reason the lions defense is so awful.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who would be doing the blitzing though? Delmas, Quin, Tully or Levy? To me, Levy blitzing leaves Tully with responsibility that are over his head. Sending Delmas and/or Quin leaves an already bad secondary without a safety net. Tulloch is the only option that I see as someone who doesn't leave the defense worse off in coverage with him coming after the QB. But im not sure that he's much of a blitzer. Idk, I just don't see a great benefit to blitzing more given the options we have. (A pass rushing OLB would be nice) When I hollered for us to draft a safety, after Quin was signed, Delmas being able to blitz more was on my mind. (Same thing every time a safety is available on waivers)

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make a good point, they allow the one 80 yard pass play per game anyhow, why not blitz? If it happens, it was going to happen anyhow. They are wasting suh and fairleys ability to disrupt too often by only rushing four. You are supposed to use you strengths to overcompensate for your weaknesses and thats one reason the lions defense is so awful.

Good post, laker. You are 25th in total defense WITHOUT blitzing. You are DEAD LAST (32nd) in the NFL this year with 12 sacks WITHOUT blitzing. You gave up the most 40+ yard plays in the NFL last year WITHOUT blitzing. And we are worried about possible negative effects of blitzing?

Whatever you think about our DBs abilities to cover during a blitz, allowing the QB to sit back there and scan the field for "5 mississippis" or more clearly is not working, either.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree....though smitty makes some good points against. But this week would be a good week to experiment with some blitzes. We should be able to beat the Bucs even if they burn it once or twice. Then if they torch the blitz at least we know we're stuck with what we have.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defensive ends are among the worst in the league.. That's the reason for the low sack total.. They are about as bad as the secondary.