• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BPA versus need

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting article with some history behind it. I for one do not want to see us go down the road of only looking at one or two positions. However, I hope we keep our needs in mind if a couple of different players are of the same value when we are on the clock.

Broaddus: Cowboys Wise To Avoid Trap Of Drafting Need

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the cell so I did not open the link. In my opinion you must look at both BPA and need equally. You take BPA of a needed position. Now there are exceptions. If there is no talent at a needed position worth taking at that spot, you should go BPA. Other exception is a team with no major needs should simply go BPA.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shouldn't be a problem at 16 in this draft with 3 QB's, 2 WR's and 2 to 3 oline guys off the board when we pick. I like our chances for an impact player at a position in need.
take the best DT, De, LB, S, or even CB and plug um in day one starter

going to need a minimum of 3 impact players to this defense from this draft and we can't miss in rounds one or two

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft the best players available, fill holes through free agency/trades. If you find yourself with too much talent on one group, trade someone for a need. When you draft for need you reach. When you reach you tend to fail.

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shouldn't be a problem at 16 in this draft with 3 QB's, 2 WR's and 2 to 3 oline guys off the board when we pick. I like our chances for an impact player at a position in need.
take the best DT, De, LB, S, or even CB and plug um in day one starter

going to need a minimum of 3 impact players to this defense from this draft and we can't miss in rounds one or two

:agree:

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a tradedown will happen if the bears take Donald at 14. Rumors going around that the bears are smitten with Donald

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the Claiborne and Carr fail in this new defense I kind of think CB is as big of a hole as the DL. Gilbert may be a good idea if he is still there. Carr should be released IMO.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the Claiborne and Carr fail in this new defense I kind of think CB is as big of a hole as the DL. Gilbert may be a good idea if he is still there. Carr should be released IMO.

Not me on either. They sure need to play a lot better than they did, but I think they will. Claiborne hasn't been through a TC yet because of his offseason injuries and then separated his shoulder week 1 last year and played with it all season. Then misses a lot of time with a pulled hamstring. Carr just needs to be used differently. If both play as poorly as they did in 2013 I'll agree with you. Whether due to injury, lack of skill or just a poor fit for this D, if they aren't going to play the way we need them to we need to change things up. I think they can still be a strength, but hopefully looking back on this thread it doesn't just seem like me putting my head in the sand and making an excuse for them. Maybe I'm wrong, but I give them 2014 to see how it goes. A year from now I think we look at the trio we have and think it's a strength, or at least a solid part of our team. This doesn't mean I wouldn't take a CB...I just wouldn't do it early or with the intention that we need to find a 2014 starter (including nickel) at that spot. We need another CB badly, but to me it's a #4 guy. On the DL and at S we need starters. So that is how I see it as very different.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Carr and Claiborne both have ball skills. Improve the DL and they should be more than OK at CB. Heath and to a lesser extent Wilcox have shown no ball skills. I doubt the steel curtain could keep them from being toast. Wilcox might improve enough but I don't want to go into 14 having him as the #1 option at FS.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Mo I don't think you draft a guy that high give him one year switch schemes and expect a player to be good. Especially when he was hurt most of the year.
Scheme changes take time with every player..... All you have to do is look opposite of him at Carr

Now with Carr to me it's different. His contract is way more than what he is or was ever going to be worth. He's been a good corner but not a shut down corner. But he's getting paid like a shut down corner.
Which isn't his fault ... That's Jerry over paying someone. As always.

All of that said .... I don't think you have a choice like them or not. Gotta stick with them this year.
D-line and Free Safety need the most attention.
and D-line needs several picks major attention.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carr and Claiborne both have ball skills. Improve the DL and they should be more than OK at CB. Heath and to a lesser extent Wilcox have shown no ball skills. I doubt the steel curtain could keep them from being toast. Wilcox might improve enough but I don't want to go into 14 having him as the #1 option at FS.

Agree on Heath completely. Wilcox was very, very bad, but if you take everything into account it is too early to write him off. I think he did show more ball skills than the other safeties. I think he was often lost and wasn't ready to play, but for a rookie that has barely played safety in his life and as a rookie because of a combination of injuries and personal reasons had very little time to learn, I do hold out hope for him. He did make some plays that showed me the ability could be there - he had a good game against Philly before getting hurt. I don't see Church as much more than an "in the box" guy. So, if we get a guy like Dix, I could still see Wilcox playing along side of him down the road. Whether that means starting over Church, or rotating, I don't know...but I do know even if we get a stud FS in the draft there is still room for more than just Church to play.

On your main point. If nothing else, the skills that the safeties have shown is well below that of our top 3 CBs. I don't count Webb because I refuse to accept he may be on the team next year. I also agree that a pass rush will help these DBs greatly, just like having good DBs gives the front 7 more time to get there for a sack.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Mo I don't think you draft a guy that high give him one year switch schemes and expect a player to be good. Especially when he was hurt most of the year.
Scheme changes take time with every player..... All you have to do is look opposite of him at Carr

Now with Carr to me it's different. His contract is way more than what he is or was ever going to be worth. He's been a good corner but not a shut down corner. But he's getting paid like a shut down corner.
Which isn't his fault ... That's Jerry over paying someone. As always.

All of that said .... I don't think you have a choice like them or not. Gotta stick with them this year.
D-line and Free Safety need the most attention.
and D-line needs several picks major attention.

I agree his contract is too much. But I also think he gets redone to save money. We can do much worse.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was starting to get psyched up for the draft and then I remembered it's not until May!!! Oh well, at least more snow is expected next week...

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was starting to get psyched up for the draft and then I remembered it's not until May!!! Oh well, at least more snow is expected next week...

HAHAA that's cause it's combine time

Now this board will really be funny. Especially after players run their 40s