• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bowl Games By conference (W/ Teams ranked by in Conf records)

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got Duke-in-a-Bowl
0000f6gr

boxedlunch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not true. Just going by conference record, there are 6 teams that did better than Cuse. They own the tie-breaker over one of them (BC) and the other one (UNC) wasn't on their schedule. That means they're tied for 7th with UNC.

Conferences don't break ties, outside of the top teams. That's why this kind of list is ludicrious. The criteria is not official and made up by the person doing the list. Nor does it pick the best teams in order, it's an arbitrary position.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those numbers after the conference for bowl games isn't the rank in the conference. It's their place in the pecking order of when they get to take a team.

For instance, the Capital One: Big 10 #3 VS SEC #4. They get to choose from the Big 10 third and the SEC fourth. If this was all set by ranks in conference, teams wouldn't be allowed to get past over and there wouldn't be a selection committee for each bowl game. They would all be tied to whatever teams were ranked in the conference whether they liked it or not.

That's what I always thought.

Stampede is also correct, that Bowls want particular teams that will assure the biggest number of fans in attendance and in their hotel rooms. The Cotton could have taken South Carolina, but Missouri fans are closer and would probably turn out better for that game. Carolina fans travel well, but there's going to be a lot more of them in central florida than there would be in Dallas.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that it matters much, but believe you have the TT, KSU and UT conference rankings wrong. UT, OU and OSU were 7-2. Baylor 8-1.

KSU and TT were both at least 5-3, TT was at least 4-4.

**EDIT** Okay, I saw the clarification. Disregard this post.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I always thought.

Stampede is also correct, that Bowls want particular teams that will assure the biggest number of fans in attendance and in their hotel rooms. The Cotton could have taken South Carolina, but Missouri fans are closer and would probably turn out better for that game. Carolina fans travel well, but there's going to be a lot more of them in central florida than there would be in Dallas.

Yep. People have to remember that bowl games are around to make money. They don't care about fairness to teams or college football. They are going to pick what they think will get them the most money. I think the only teams that are required to take certain teams are ones that have the conference champions in them.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those numbers after the conference for bowl games isn't the rank in the conference. It's their place in the pecking order of when they get to take a team.

For instance, the Capital One: Big 10 #3 VS SEC #4. They get to choose from the Big 10 third and the SEC fourth. If this was all set by ranks in conference, teams wouldn't be allowed to get past over and there wouldn't be a selection committee for each bowl game. They would all be tied to whatever teams were ranked in the conference whether they liked it or not.

I realize that, but they want the best available and the best travelers.

Capital One obviously felt S. Carolina fans would travel better than Missouri fans.

Buffalo Wild Wings took the 6th ranked Big 10 team (Michigan) over #4 Nebraska and # 5 Minnesota.

They want a desirable match-up for ratings (future tv contracts), but they probably figured that the turmoil in the Nebraska fan base wouldn't travel as good as Michigan's.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize that, but they want the best available and the best travelers.

Capital One obviously felt S. Carolina fans would travel better than Missouri fans.

Buffalo Wild Wings took the 6th ranked Big 10 team (Michigan) over #4 Nebraska and # 5 Minnesota.

They want a desirable match-up for ratings (future tv contracts), but they probably figured that the turmoil in the Nebraska fan base wouldn't travel as good as Michigan's.

All those Florida NYD bowls LOVE them some Gamecocks. That feeling is pretty much mutual. Carolina fans LOVE the Outback and Capital One bowls, too.

The Gator Bowl? Not as much...but we would still pack that stadium if that's where we were headed.

I'd really, really like to see them in a Cotton Bowl someday, but that will probably never happen unless it's part of that playoff rotation thing-a-mummie - and we're actually IN the playoffs. They'd rather have LSU, Arkansas, or now A&M/Missouri.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've got to admit, it pretty much laid out like would be expected.

Taking the BCS At Large bids out of the picture, it lays out like this.

Cotton Bowl: SEC #3 Missouri (11-2) VS Big XII #3 Oklahoma St (10-2) both 2 losses

Capital One: Big 10 #3 Wisconsin (9.8-2.2) VS SEC #4 South Carolina (10-2) 2.2 loss VS 2 loss
Outback:..... Big 10 #4 Iowa (8-4) VS SEC #5 LSU (9-3) 4 loss VS 3 loss
Gator:.........Big 10 #5 Nebraska (8-4) VS SEC #6 Georgia (8-4) both 4 losses

They do want as many fans as possible in seats and hotel rooms for their local economy, but they also want potential close match-ups so people will tune-in and they have viewer data for future tv and sponsorship contracts.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've got to admit, it pretty much laid out like would be expected.

Taking the BCS At Large bids out of the picture, it lays out like this.

Cotton Bowl: SEC #3 Missouri (11-2) VS Big XII #3 Oklahoma St (10-2) both 2 losses

Capital One: Big 10 #3 Wisconsin (9.8-2.2) VS SEC #4 South Carolina (10-2) 2.2 loss VS 2 loss
Outback:..... Big 10 #4 Iowa (8-4) VS SEC #5 LSU (9-3) 4 loss VS 3 loss
Gator:.........Big 10 #5 Nebraska (8-4) VS SEC #6 Georgia (8-4) both 4 losses

They do want as many fans as possible in seats and hotel rooms for their local economy, but they also want potential close match-ups so people will tune-in and they have viewer data for future tv and sponsorship contracts.

Yep, I think those are four really good matchups. Whomever wins any of those games, I won't be surprised, and this is the way bowl games SHOULD be.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Syracuse is tied for 7th in the ACC, not 9th.

They're tied with UNC and BC though, so he just put them in random order I think. I think Cincinnati and Houston and Washington State and Washington are the only ones that are out of order, because they got flipped around by mistage.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cue all of the SEC fans to say how their #4 is playing our #3, etc. Ignoring the fact that the SEC has more teams.

Please tell me that this is a joke!

Big 10 vs SEC

So now your #3 should be playing the SEC team #3.5. Thus, the BIG is playing a lower caliber SEC team than they "should" by 0.5 rank number instead of 1 rank number. Similarly, your #4 should be playing the SEC team #4.667. Thus, the BIG is playing a lower caliber SEC team than they "should" by 0.333 rank number instead of 1 rank number. Finally, your #5 should be playing the SEC team #5.833. Thus, the BIG is playing a lower caliber SEC team than they "should" by 0.167 rank number instead of 1 rank number. Happy? The numbers still say that IF the SEC and Big Ten are equivalent conferences then the Big Ten "should" win all 3 games!

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that it matters much, but believe you have the TT, KSU and UT conference rankings wrong. UT, OU and OSU were 7-2. Baylor 8-1.

KSU and TT were both at least 5-3, TT was at least 4-4.

**EDIT** Okay, I saw the clarification. Disregard this post.

Actually, you are right! Somehow, in my spreadsheet I managed to switch TT and UT. Texas should be #4 and TT #6 in Big 12.