• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bowl Game

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its based upon us having everything that we could ever want coming back and the rest of the conference going through transition years.

The defense has to replace White and Benton but still PLENTY coming back defensively to be more than effective (if you believe in the 3-3-5) on that side of the ball.

Offense is loaded for bear, we don't need anything in that department.

Dana's 2nd year as the ST's coach should have that group finally playing at a high level.

Should be the most talented/well balanced team Dana has had and the league is in transition, no excuses, NONE!

I cant wait, we will either have a great year and move forward OR the wheels to move on from what will be proven a mediocre at best HC will be in high gear. Either way.... very exciting times ahead.

We have ALL the parts in place? So our OL & DL will be CCG caliber? Our LB core? We can plug and play our front 5 and front 3?

So you’re betting the farm on Dana all on next season and a league in transition. I’m not so sure the league is in a major transition. I say that the talent lost on OU brings them almost down to our level, but they still have the horses up front on both sides of the ball. You say if he doesn’t make the CCG, then we move on from a “mediocre” HC, but if he makes it to the CCG, his status elevates? Does he go to “slightly above” mediocre and his clock resets? He gets another 5 years to make a CCG? What happened to that guy who said coaches should be on a year to year contract and ushered out of here if he doesn’t make it to the NC in 3 years?

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a TON coming back and like you say, OU will take a step back, OSU will also, TCU, Texas is still in transition The rest of the conference will be in a transition year, no question about that, perfect timing for a program like ours to make a move IF we have the parts in place and...we do.

If Dana cant make it happen in a window like this (barring major injuries ect. to our team)then its not going to happen, its the best scenario WVU could ask for.

He goes out and wins 7-8 games vs mediocre teams again....then its proof positive for anyone with a brain that 2016 was a fluke and he will never get us to the Big12 CCG, much less where Luck hired him to get us. Time to move on.

He goes out and wins 10-11 games and we go to the CCG, all sins are forgiven and he proves that he CAN get us there at least. Not unreasonable at all imo.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU takes a slight step back but still has the weapons. They lose 1 on their OL but I’m sure they have the talent there to continue. Baker is going to be a big lose but most of their weapons are intact. I wouldn’t sleep on Texas as they bring back a young, experience team. I wouldn’t sleep on KSt. It appears that they could be bringing back their entire offense.

Way to early predictions based off of the teams we lost to this year: We should beat TCU and OKSt, jury is still out on KSt & Texas, and OU will beat us. For me, 2018 rests on the development of the OL & DL. If they are improved and we have depth, then I can see what you’re saying.

My question, that never gets answered, who are you guys bringing in? I know you want Doc, but we will be starting over again in another 3 years when Doc gets his ass handed back to him. Missed out on Jimbo. Maybe convince Bob Stoops to come out of retirement like OSU did with Urban?

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU takes a slight step back but still has the weapons. They lose 1 on their OL but I’m sure they have the talent there to continue. Baker is going to be a big lose but most of their weapons are intact. I wouldn’t sleep on Texas as they bring back a young, experience team. I wouldn’t sleep on KSt. It appears that they could be bringing back their entire offense.

Way to early predictions based off of the teams we lost to this year: We should beat TCU and OKSt, jury is still out on KSt & Texas, and OU will beat us. For me, 2018 rests on the development of the OL & DL. If they are improved and we have depth, then I can see what you’re saying.

My question, that never gets answered, who are you guys bringing in? I know you want Doc, but we will be starting over again in another 3 years when Doc gets his ass handed back to him. Missed out on Jimbo. Maybe convince Bob Stoops to come out of retirement like OSU did with Urban?

"IF" a change is made...I would suggest Kevin Sumlin

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Only Gordon Gee and Shane Lyons can answer that. Gee has ties to Ohio State, Lyons Alabama, both have ties in athletics all over the place. If it’s ever needed I think they could produce a very good hire for WVU.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not holding my breath for next year. We look to be better and much of our conference brothers lose key players. Depth will still be a big issue. Oklahoma, Texas and OSU have lots of 4-5 star players ready to step in.

We will need a monster Heisman type year from Grier if we are even to sniff the CCG next year. We can always count on Dana letting a couple of close ones get away.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not holding my breath for next year. We look to be better and much of our conference brothers lose key players. Depth will still be a big issue. Oklahoma, Texas and OSU have lots of 4-5 star players ready to step in.
Totally agree. We can’t plug and play. Looking at the 2nd string on the OL, we may have some players depending on their development. These boys need to be ready to punch their opponents in the mouth and wear them out. Right now I don’t see that happening. I’m not going to even address the DL. Hopefully we find some JUCO talent there because it is needed.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only Gordon Gee and Shane Lyons can answer that. Gee has ties to Ohio State, Lyons Alabama, both have ties in athletics all over the place. If it’s ever needed I think they could produce a very good hire for WVU.
So you’re alright with bringing in a “hot shot” OC or DC again? We already have one. If Gee had all of these connections, why didn’t he bring a big fish in? To me, Gee doesn’t have the connections to do this. After all, Gee had a say in Dana’s hiring. After you bitching about this hiring, all of a sudden Gee is a genius? Alrighty then.

As for Lyin’ Shane Lyons, let’s just say I’m waiting on the next progress report for the stadium and Coliseum. I can’t even get updates on this let alone find out the state of WVU’s athletic program. Maybe I need to sign up for Tony Caridi’s podcasts or something.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"IF" a change is made...I would suggest Kevin Sumlin
Interesting suggestion. I once thought he would be a good hire but not sure right now. Seems like he was giving up late game leads. Definitely a big name but I hope he would be able to bring in talented recruits. He definitely knows the conference but if we go to Conference USA, then Doc would be a lock. :L

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you’re alright with bringing in a “hot shot” OC or DC again? We already have one. If Gee had all of these connections, why didn’t he bring a big fish in? To me, Gee doesn’t have the connections to do this. After all, Gee had a say in Dana’s hiring. After you bitching about this hiring, all of a sudden Gee is a genius? Alrighty then.

As for Lyin’ Shane Lyons, let’s just say I’m waiting on the next progress report for the stadium and Coliseum. I can’t even get updates on this let alone find out the state of WVU’s athletic program. Maybe I need to sign up for Tony Caridi’s podcasts or something.

Gee wasn’t the president when Dana was hired IIRC. Who said it had to be an assistant? And if it is, as long as it’s the right fit who cares?
Think Georgia likes their hot shot assistant? Think Miami likes their retread HC?

Think Clemson regrets letting Tommy Bowden go and hiring Dabo?

Sure not all hires work out but let’s be not act like they all fail either.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gee wasn’t the president when Dana was hired IIRC. Who said it had to be an assistant? And if it is, as long as it’s the right fit who cares?
Think Georgia likes their hot shot assistant? Think Miami likes their retread HC?

Think Clemson regrets letting Tommy Bowden go and hiring Dabo?

Sure not all hires work out but let’s be not act like they all fail either.
You mentioned the ties with ‘Bama and OSt. If they go that route you surely don’t suggest they could get Urban or St. Nick. So from those 2 programs, it would have to be an asst. Unless you think they could get Sweater Vest or Bo Pellini.

Do you think your dynamic duo could get either one? What about Sumlin? Are you going to impose your year by year contract for all the coaches again or the 3 year and you’re out rule?

By the way, Dabo was already on Bowden’s staff and you are correct, Clements was President when Dana was hired.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mentioned the ties with ‘Bama and OSt. If they go that route you surely don’t suggest they could get Urban or St. Nick. So from those 2 programs, it would have to be an asst. Unless you think they could get Sweater Vest or Bo Pellini.

Do you think your dynamic duo could get either one? What about Sumlin? Are you going to impose your year by year contract for all the coaches again or the 3 year and you’re out rule?

By the way, Dabo was already on Bowden’s staff and you are correct, Clements was President when Dana was hired.
Saban or Meyer? C'mon man that's crazy talk. The point is that those are two of the best programs in CFB with some of the deepest connections to possibly draw from for a possible coach for your program. We have an assistant on our staff right now that just came from the Alabama program. UGA got one from Bama,UT just got one... and ALMOST had one from tOSU before that... for about 24 hours in Schiano (who I think would be a good fit at WVU FTR) :laugh:, Texas indirectly got theirs from tOSU, Dantonio came from tOSU under Tress, Pitt has one from the Dantonio/tOSU tree. that's what I was talking about. I think Pelini in Morgantown would be an interesting fit too if it ever comes to that.

IMO we basically have Kevin Sumlin already in Dana.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban or Meyer? C'mon man that's crazy talk. The point is that those are two of the best programs in CFB with some of the deepest connections to possibly draw from for a possible coach for your program. We have an assistant on our staff right now that just came from the Alabama program. UGA got one from Bama,UT just got one... and ALMOST had one from tOSU before that... for about 24 hours in Schiano (who I think would be a good fit at WVU FTR) :laugh:, Texas indirectly got theirs from tOSU, Dantonio came from tOSU under Tress, Pitt has one from the Dantonio/tOSU tree. that's what I was talking about. I think Pelini in Morgantown would be an interesting fit too if it ever comes to that.

IMO we basically have Kevin Sumlin already in Dana.
Go back through some of you other posts where you felt that WVU should be able to bring in a big name HC. What bigger names than St. Nick and Urban. If Schiano and Doc are your big honchos, well I’ll stick with Dana. Never thought that Schiano was a good HC. He is a better Coordinator than HC. He’ll get another shot as a HC somewhere. I just hope not here. You’d want Pitt’s HC and then say I’m crazy!?!? Would you take Butch Jones?

As far as Kirby Smart, he followed Saban for most of his career except when he went to Georgia for 1 year, then jumped on Saban’s jock again. He obviously learned a lot from the time he left Bobby Bowden to now.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go back through some of you other posts where you felt that WVU should be able to bring in a big name HC. What bigger names than St. Nick and Urban. If Schiano and Doc are your big honchos, well I’ll stick with Dana. Never thought that Schiano was a good HC. He is a better Coordinator than HC. He’ll get another shot as a HC somewhere. I just hope not here. You’d want Pitt’s HC and then say I’m crazy!?!? Would you take Butch Jones?

As far as Kirby Smart, he followed Saban for most of his career except when he went to Georgia for 1 year, then jumped on Saban’s jock again. He obviously learned a lot from the time he left Bobby Bowden to now.

I don't understand how you are getting we should get Saban or Meyer by saying Gee and Lyons have connections from those schools. Never said or implied that unless I was making fun of someone that did. I'm also not calling for Schiano or Narduzzi ect to be the HC, just that those might be along the lines of what/who WVU would realistically be able to hire IF our situation ever comes to that should the administration decide to make a change at HC and that maybe they would be better fits that's all. Maybe a coach that stresses defense and special teams a little more, perhaps a football coach more in the Bob Huggins mold:noidea: That's up to the AD and president.

Not sure why anyone wouldn't think Schiano wasn't a good CFB HC, I thought what he did at Rutgers was very impressive. Pro coach... meh not so much but you can say that about coaches like Saban and Spurrier ect. as well.

Last edited:

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We will need a monster Heisman type year from Grier if we are even to sniff the CCG next year. We can always count on Dana letting a couple of close ones get away.

This says a lot and I don't think you are alone in your line of thinking.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand how you are getting we should get Saban or Meyer by saying Gee and Lyons have connections from those schools. Never said or implied that unless I was making fun of someone that did. I'm also not calling for Schiano or Narduzzi ect to be the HC, just that those might be along the lines of what/who WVU would realistically be able to hire IF our situation ever comes to that should the administration decide to make a change at HC and that maybe they would be better fits that's all. Maybe a coach that stresses defense and special teams a little more, perhaps a football coach more in the Bob Huggins mold:noidea: That's up to the AD and president.

Not sure why anyone wouldn't think Schiano wasn't a good CFB HC, I thought what he did at Rutgers was very impressive. Pro coach... meh not so much but you can say that about coaches like Saban and Spurrier ect. as well.
As I said, from previous posts, but if you say you never said or implied, then ok. You did allude to coaches coming off of OSt and ‘Bama coaching trees. Narduzzi looked promising at first but not so hot now. Some of his interviews are laughable. We can agree to disagree about Schiano. Maybe he learned more from his time with Meyers. Time will tell. For all the talent in NJ alone, unlike in WV, I would have expected better teams at Rutgers.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I told y’all... Shane should have fired Dana’s ass after the ‘15 season. Now the offensive guru is gonna have a Heisman and Biletnikoff winner next year.
No Heisman winner is coming from a 7 or 8 win team.........we were told that Holgorsen's system is so great that it didn't matter who the QB was, wonder what happened there. By the way, the good HOF coach down the road has the roundballers ranked in the top 10, has won 12 in a row, and getting better as the season goes.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I will be interested to see what OU does next year. Is Riley for real, or are the kids so well coached from the Stoops era that it bled over? I don't think the talent will drop at OU, sure it will be hard to replace Mayfield, but they have the cast around the new QB to let him build into the job. Texas?????? What to think, they have a great recruiting class EVERY year, but can't get back to winning. I have not been sold on Holgorsen from the start, last year I actually started thinking he was learning to be a HC, but he took a huge step back this year. People want to call out our defense, but folks, the offense, even with Grier, was very streaky this year, our offensive line was manhandled a lot,and our offensive gameplan sucks, throwing the dice on plays hoping for your number to come up is no way to play call a football game. When you have first and goal at the five, throw three incomlete passes, and kick a FG it is beyond ridiculous!!!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I told everyone before the season started that Will Grier had to stay healthy in order to win 7 or 8 games this year. Chugs is a statue... and he has balls of steel... but, no one could perform well behind our patched OL going down the stretch. Losing Bosch for the OU game was huge. Losing both Bosch and Cajuste for the Utah game was even huger...

When you're forced to put immature underclassmen on your OL, they are going to take a whipping. The group should continue to develop... similar to the '88 and '93 OL's of our past.

Everyone who thinks you can just recruit any ole 3 star lineman and turn them into rock steady OL is seeing this isn't reality of big boy football. The wear and tear on the body... psyche... and execution are at a totally different level than playing in a CUSA like league.

WVU lost some kids from the OL who transferred elsewhere... who just didn't develop... and we were left with a thin bunch this year. We've been very lucky until the last two years with the injury bug for those boys.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13 in a row, #6 ranking, it's time to change gears guys!! Tough stretch coming up!