• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Both Shaq and Dr. J have Karl Malone in their top 10 all-time… Are they really that off base?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take Malone.. Again Duncan didn't deal with MJ. Michael would have tore him a new arsehole
Jazz peaked at exactly the wrong time, but the fact remains Malone’s championship window was 3 years while paired with another top 50 all time player.

Sure, Duncan did not have to contend with Jordan, but his 1st and 5th rings are 15 years apart. Jordan's true reign was 7, Duncan still getting rings whether Jordan is there or not.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jazz peaked at exactly the wrong time, but the fact remains Malone’s championship window was 3 years while paired with another top 50 all time player.

Sure, Duncan did not have to contend with Jordan, but his 1st and 5th rings are 15 years apart. Jordan's true reign was 7, Duncan still getting rings whether Jordan is there or not.
beside jordan and maybe david thompson,he,s the best ever acc player i recall seeing.totally dominated every game he played in.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malone is a great player, but Duncan I’d take over Malone, he was Mr Consistency and gives you that low post threat…

I agree on that Mr. Consistency part, as Malone did have lower for him production games (still more points than Duncan and similar rebounds), but Malone was a low post threat, too. Bank shots were Duncan’s specialty and Malone’s was the turnaround fadeaway. But both had the post.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on that Mr. Consistency part, as Malone did have lower for him production games (still more points than Duncan and similar rebounds), but Malone was a low post threat, too. Bank shots were Duncan’s specialty and Malone’s was the turnaround fadeaway. But both had the post.
did,nt follow his pro seasons,but he could shoot free throws good at wake forest.shaq was awful at free throws.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my novel, I was going to add that I think Stockton would win a ring in San Antonio if he took Parker’s place but can’t say Malone would if he took Duncan’s place.

If Stockton was in San Antonio with Duncan, they'd have at least one more championship.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought Stockton made that team go.

I think Barkley once said that Malone was the best player on the team, but Stockton was the most valuable player, which ... doesn't make sense really, but ... it does.

DorianRo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malone had to deal with MJ. Duncan... Did not. As great as the 2000's Lakers were, they weren't on the level of the MJ bulls. And the Cleveland Cavs or Heat etc. weren't on the Bulls level either

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malone had to deal with MJ. Duncan... Did not. As great as the 2000's Lakers were, they weren't on the level of the MJ bulls. And the Cleveland Cavs or Heat etc. weren't on the Bulls level either

The ‘98 Bulls that Malone lost to absolutely were not better than many of the teams Duncan beat.

And Malone played 19 seasons.

He lost to MJ twice.

Blaming MJ for Malone’s failure to win titles is lazy at best.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ‘98 Bulls that Malone lost to absolutely were not better than many of the teams Duncan beat.

And Malone played 19 seasons.

He lost to MJ twice.

Blaming MJ for Malone’s failure to win titles is lazy at best.

what was the excuse for the two years Jordan was a non factor

But I've said it before those Jazz teams were nice but their depth wasn't there to title teams imo

95 Rockets 3 through 8 was

Cassell
Kenny Smith
Horry
Vernon Maxwell
Mario Ellie

Whereas Jazz were

Hornacek
Eisley
Russell
Shandon Anderson
their centers were offensive non factors and maybe 10 minutes from way over the hill Antoine Carr

The above group is much better and can get you a bucket over the last one

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean...Stockton averaged 11 a game in those playoffs. This is why the Stockton Isiah debates are crazy to me in terms of who am I winning a title with?

it's a no brainer.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what was the excuse for the two years Jordan was a non factor

But I've said it before those Jazz teams were nice but their depth wasn't there to title teams imo

95 Rockets 3 through 8 was

Cassell
Kenny Smith
Horry
Vernon Maxwell
Mario Ellie

Whereas Jazz were

Hornacek
Eisley
Russell
Shandon Anderson
their centers were offensive non factors and maybe 10 minutes from way over the hill Antoine Carr

The above group is much better and can get you a bucket over the last one

I don’t disagree.

Just saying, it is crazy for people to say MJ is the reason Malone didn’t win a ring.

Playing his entire career in Utah where they couldn’t get the depth needed is the main reason.

But still.

Play your entire career alongside another all time great and you make 2 Finals together?

What happened the other 16 years?

Can’t blame Jordan there.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t disagree.

Just saying, it is crazy for people to say MJ is the reason Malone didn’t win a ring.

Playing his entire career in Utah where they couldn’t get the depth needed is the main reason.

But still.

Play your entire career alongside another all time great and you make 2 Finals together?

What happened the other 16 years?

Can’t blame Jordan there.

They were a very good but not great team

we are seeing it even more lately with two stars together

Clippers
Sixers

are examples...Sixers strike me as similar in that their depth off the bench wasn't great. Although I think Oubre was a nice add for this year. And I of course say this with the idea Harden will be back.

PPhan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Karl Malone is the better player but Tim Duncan is greater.