• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Boston's "predicament"

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could not agree more. The Celtics are not going to compete this year with a trade. Maybe only westbrook could come in here and make them better than they are with just 30 games to go. They have amazing karma already with each other, and the bench is 5 deep. So there is no magical solution and they need a defensive big who still allows them to space and run this high scoring offense. Boogie Cousins is really what they need, like him or not. Boogie with this team and you are going to the finals
As others have said... I think Paul George also has to be a consideration, esp. because George can play some 4.

Boston could put some absolutely sick offensive line-ups on the floor with George... and still be a rock solid defensive club. Rebounding would be the obvious deficiency, but it's hard to be a great team in every aspect.

Imagine this line-up?

PG - IT
SG - Avery Bradley
SF - Jay Crowder
PF - Paul George
C- Al Horford

Bench - would include Marcus Smart, Kelly Olynyk, Amir Johnson (if not part of PG trade) along with Rozier, Jerebko, Green, Rozier and Zeller. (I assume Jaylen Brown would be gone in PG trade).

^ This is a club that could realistically beat Cleveland and compete for an NBA title this year.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron James is avergaging a career high in assists and is still the best player in the game- and his sidekick Irving has not even entered his prime years yet.

If Boston doesnt wait they will wish they would have.

No matter who Boston gets the Cavs will have the 2 best players in the series.

Irving thinks the Earth is flat.:pound:He better get his head checked. Maybe next he'll say the moon's made out of 100% swiss cheese?

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston is fucking insane if they refuse to move a Brooklyn pick for George or Butler

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston is fucking insane if they refuse to move a Brooklyn pick for George or Butler
I think it's fair to look at it from the other perspective, too... because a trade takes at least two to tango.

Would Indiana and/or Chicago be insane if they refused to trade George or Butler for a hypothetical package that includes Jaylen Brown and next years New Jersey pick?

Because, from what I've read and been able to put together, it's not necessarily Boston that would hold up such a trade. It's Indiana and/or Chicago.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw the following report this week. Sting, even since you started this the predicament is more fascinating. They are one of the best teams even without the super high value draft picks being used.

Since December 15, the Warriors are the only team in the league with a better record than Boston’s 23-7 mark. The way things currently stand, the Celtics are on track for an ECF matchup with Cleveland. However, there’s a good chance the final outcome of that series remains the same regardless of whether or not Ainge makes a major trade. At the moment, Boston is teetering on the brink of title contention. Rather than push to make the leap right now, why not try to keep the window open for as long as possible?
Boston has the best young coach in the NBA. He has known nothing but success in his short career.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's fair to look at it from the other perspective, too... because a trade takes at least two to tango.

Would Indiana and/or Chicago be insane if they refused to trade George or Butler for a hypothetical package that includes Jaylen Brown and next years New Jersey pick?

Because, from what I've read and been able to put together, it's not necessarily Boston that would hold up such a trade. It's Indiana and/or Chicago.

Chicago is pretty desperate

Everything I've read is boston won't move the pick

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As a Boston fan, I would hope Ainge and co. would seriously consider any reasonable trade offer that includes Butler.

That being said... out of all the star guys we are mentioning, Butler is the least likely to put Boston over the top this season. Not because Butler isn't a great player, but because of the position he plays... the C's are already strong at the wing with guys like Bradley, Crowder and Smart. There would be a bottle neck for playing time... and if a guy like Crowder was moved as part of that deal, the C's would be better... but not enough to beat Cleveland, IMO.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Boston fan, I would hope Ainge and co. would seriously consider any reasonable trade offer that includes Butler.

That being said... out of all the star guys we are mentioning, Butler is the least likely to put Boston over the top this season. Not because Butler isn't a great player, but because of the position he plays... the C's are already strong at the wing with guys like Bradley, Crowder and Smart. There would be a bottle neck for playing time... and if a guy like Crowder was moved as part of that deal, the C's would be better... but not enough to beat Cleveland, IMO.

I still think if they packaged both Nets picks + Brown and Smart, that could get the Pelicans to at least consider moving Davis. They are going nowhere fast and will be even worse next year assuming Holliday walks.

Really though, they need a skilled 4/5 a lot more than they need Butler or even George. I agree George would be preferable to Butler though.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dammit, Ainge!... looks like you could have gotten Boogie Cousins for Jaylen Brown and a bag of peanuts.

:gaah: :lol:

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think if they packaged both Nets picks + Brown and Smart, that could get the Pelicans to at least consider moving Davis. They are going nowhere fast and will be even worse next year assuming Holliday walks.
Well this all changed in the blink of an eye.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think the Celtics are sold on Butler as the answer. I'm pretty sure they have their eye on Hayward in FA, which would be a much better fit in Boston. They have held onto these picks for so long, and the picks continue to appreciate in value. I don't think it's necessarily smart to give them up in a deal that keeps Boston as the no2 seed in the East and really doesn't make them a title contender.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Celtics are sold on Butler as the answer. I'm pretty sure they have their eye on Hayward in FA, which would be a much better fit in Boston. They have held onto these picks for so long, and the picks continue to appreciate in value. I don't think it's necessarily smart to give them up in a deal that keeps Boston as the no2 seed in the East and really doesn't make them a title contender.

Last year's pick did not appreciate in value.

the second the lottery didn't go their way it dropped off tremendously.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year's pick did not appreciate in value.

the second the lottery didn't go their way it dropped off tremendously.
This is a much different draft.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a much different draft.

Yes but if it falls to 4, it's the same situation as 3 last year.

The true prizes are 1-3 this year, whereas last year they were 1-2.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but if it falls to 4, it's the same situation as 3 last year.

The true prizes are 1-3 this year, whereas last year they were 1-2.
Better odds all around this year, considering the sorry state of the Nets. Clear cut last place in the NBA team.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't think the Celtics are sold on Butler as the answer. I'm pretty sure they have their eye on Hayward in FA, which would be a much better fit in Boston. They have held onto these picks for so long, and the picks continue to appreciate in value. I don't think it's necessarily smart to give them up in a deal that keeps Boston as the no2 seed in the East and really doesn't make them a title contender.

This.....................

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Celtics have a great culture. They need more players willing to give their all. If the dont get Hayward I then can see them making moves with those picks. The top 4 or 5 in this draft have star potential. But, it all comes down during 2017. Dany will make moves by year end

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can you expand on hayward being a better fit with the C's than Butler?

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you expand on hayward being a better fit with the C's than Butler?
He's a better shooter. Same reason PG makes more sense than Butler. I'm not saying Jimmy doesn't work, but I'd rather have Hayward or George.

Look. You don't stockpile assets like the Celtics have to trade them for a player that doesn't make you significantly better when you look at all you have to give up. If the price is right on Butler, I'm all for giving up the picks, but I don't think the price will be right. I.e. Butler really only makes the Celtics a half ass contender if you add him to the roster as-is. To give up Crowder or even Smart plus the Nets picks is too much imo. We will have to see what Chicago is asking.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a better shooter. Same reason PG makes more sense than Butler. I'm not saying Jimmy doesn't work, but I'd rather have Hayward or George.

Look. You don't stockpile assets like the Celtics have to trade them for a player that doesn't make you significantly better when you look at all you have to give up. If the price is right on Butler, I'm all for giving up the picks, but I don't think the price will be right. I.e. Butler really only makes the Celtics a half ass contender if you add him to the roster as-is. To give up Crowder or even Smart plus the Nets picks is too much imo. We will have to see what Chicago is asking.

Their TS% are really close career wise. And Butler is clearly the better defender.

Their problem right now is defense.

They really need to see high on Thomas.