• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

bob stoops not in the media this week

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's so sad about demanding the guy produce at the level he's being compensated? I pay some hellish salaries and bonuses to people and they earn those based on performance. OU fans who defend Bob Stoops for the way he's failed to win NC's three times is beyond me. He got curb stomped once and in at least one other game the coaching was an embarrassment. Anyone wishing to argue that point is delusional. I'm not claiming the guy is deserving of being fired. I am saying Bob Stoops is NOT going to win another NC at OU unless we catch lightening in a bottle. Why? Look at his record of horrible, horrible losses over the past 10 years. Not losses to teams that were just better than OU (understandable!) but losses to teams that shouldn't have been within 2 touchdowns of the Sooners. Is he better than Charlie Strong? Yes. Briles? Yes. Gundy? Yes. Saban? No. Shaw? No. Meyer? No. He's a good coach...no doubt about it. But he's not the guy to win more NC's even if he still had players like he used to have. Our talent level has fallen off and our coaching staff is weaker than it used to be. One win over Alabama, as nice as it was, doesn't change the trend that has been established over the past 10 years. Fans who claim anything is better than Gibbs, Blake, etc. are ridiculous. That's like saying any coach that doesn't match Bud Wilkinson's record is a loser. BS. Coaches are like women; never judge one by the other one.

Strong: we will find out, little early to make that call
Briles: Not sure. would be interesting to see Briles with equal resources
Gundy: yes
Saban: NO
Shaw: lets see. Way to early to make this claim. Shaw inherited a very good situation
Meyer: Closer than you think

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that pertinent? All 3 were dealing with the effects of NCAA sanctions. How about comparing to guys like Wilkinson, Fairbanks, and Switzer. Schellenberger was only there 1 yr. He was a very solid coach prior, just didnt work out. Gibbs was a buffoon. Stoops is a solid coach, but I would guess most OU fans place him #3 amongst OU coaches.

The sanctions were long gone by the time Blake got the job, and really weren't that much of an effect on Schellenberger, he was just a lush.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that pertinent? All 3 were dealing with the effects of NCAA sanctions. How about comparing to guys like Wilkinson, Fairbanks, and Switzer. Schellenberger was only there 1 yr. He was a very solid coach prior, just didnt work out. Gibbs was a buffoon. Stoops is a solid coach, but I would guess most OU fans place him #3 amongst OU coaches.

Just putting the last 4 coaches in line for perspective. IMO he's done a great job in Norman and other than his loyalty to some shitty assistants I have no issues with Bob.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sanctions were long gone by the time Blake got the job, and really weren't that much of an effect on Schellenberger, he was just a lush.

Sanctions take longer than most realize to overcome. Program was in sad shape when Gibbs took over, not that I think he would have succeeded. Pt was just that Stoops will be deemed a very good coach. On the cusp of great but I dont see him getting there

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Smellsofbourbon was a washed up, has been drunk when he got to OU. Blake was an inept buffoon as an HC. Gibbs was a solid coach, just not HC material, but way better than either of the previously mentioned.

nice try, tho....:L

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gibbs: 2-15-1 against Texas, Nebraska and Colorado. A total joke of a coach at OU. I played golf with Gary several times before he became the HC and I've never in my life seen a guy who can play 18 holes and not say more than about 50 words during that whole time to the entire foursome. His attitude toward everyone was an air of superiority and it got on people's nerves. He also welches on bets so F him.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smellsofbourbon was a washed up, has been drunk when he got to OU. Blake was an inept buffoon as an HC. Gibbs was a solid coach, just not HC material, but way better than either of the previously mentioned.

nice try, tho....:L

What did I try? I called Blake a buffoon and said Schellenberger was quite a good prior. Seems like you agree. Anyone claiming Gibbs had a better coaching career than Schellenberger gets a :L:L:laugh3::laugh3:

I see. My bad.. I meant to write Blake, not Gibbs. The Schellenberger/Gibbs comment stands though.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did I try? I called Blake a buffoon and said Schellenberger was quite a good prior. Seems like you agree. Anyone claiming Gibbs had a better coaching career than Schellenberger gets a :L:L:laugh3::laugh3:

did I claim that Gibbs had a better career than did smellsofbourbon? Uh, no I didn't, and anyone who thinks so is sorely lacking in reading comprehension.

Congrats!~:L

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gibbs: 2-15-1 against Texas, Nebraska and Colorado. A total joke of a coach at OU. I played golf with Gary several times before he became the HC and I've never in my life seen a guy who can play 18 holes and not say more than about 50 words during that whole time to the entire foursome. His attitude toward everyone was an air of superiority and it got on people's nerves. He also welches on bets so F him.

yep, he couldn't beat the big 3 but he is also not one of the 2 worst coaches in OU history, now is he?

Boo and smellsofbourbon are.....

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did I claim that Gibbs had a better career than did smellsofbourbon? Uh, no I didn't, and anyone who thinks so is sorely lacking in reading comprehension.

Congrats!~:L

"Smellsofbourbon was a washed up, has been drunk when he got to OU. Blake was an inept buffoon as an HC. Gibbs was a solid coach, just not HC material, but way better than either of the previously mentioned."

that might be where I got the idea. Just sayin

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, he couldn't beat the big 3 but he is also not one of the 2 worst coaches in OU history, now is he?

Boo and smellsofbourbon are.....

Blake recruited more than half of the 2000 National Championship team’s 22 starters, including Roy Williams, Rocky Calmus, etc. so I'd give him a little slack.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Smellsofbourbon was a washed up, has been drunk when he got to OU. Blake was an inept buffoon as an HC. Gibbs was a solid coach, just not HC material, but way better than either of the previously mentioned."

that might be where I got the idea. Just sayin

I'm pretty sure we were talking about their stints at OU....jes sayin....

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blake recruited more than half of the 2000 National Championship team’s 22 starters, including Roy Williams, Rocky Calmus, etc. so I'd give him a little slack.

considering how Boo left OU, I wouldn't cut the dude any slack. Destroying computer files, recruiting data, etc., was and is totally irresposnible. He burned any bridges to OU he had, period

He could recruit, no doubt, but being the HC was simply way over his head.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To sum up the University of Oklahoma offense during The John Blake era. It was painful. The one positive side was that you could go to the game and literally sit anywhere you wanted and it was cheap as hell to get in, because they were giving the tickets away just trying to get people to go.

Week 1: Shotgun Formation (QB, 1 & 3)
Week 2: Pro-Set (QB 1 & 2)
Week 3 Shotgun Formation (QB 3 & 2)
Week 4: Wishbone (QB 3 & 4)
Week 5: Run and Shoot (QB 4, 1 and 2)
Week 6: Wishbone (QB 4)
Week 7: Schoolyard (QB 1,2,3,4 mixed in with Patrick Fletcher and Jarred Reese)

QB's
1. Garrick McGee
2. Eric Moore
3. Justin Fuente
4. Converted WR to QB Brandon Daniels
and at least 3 other guys.