• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blue Beetle (2023)

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poster:

2s0gotr4jt4b1.png

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a piece of somewhat good news for Blue Beetle, James Gunn is now saying that this movie is part of the new DCU. That Blue Beetle will be the first new DCU character.

Maybe it will result in better box office returns, with people seeing this if it's not part of a dead universe.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a piece of somewhat good news for Blue Beetle, James Gunn is now saying that this movie is part of the new DCU. That Blue Beetle will be the first new DCU character.

Maybe it will result in better box office returns, with people seeing this if it's not part of a dead universe.
But if he is the first character, wouldnt that presume that he will be a key character moving forward? Ironman was the first character introduced in the the MCU and was the anchor character for 15 years. Ironman wasn’t a Spiderman/Superman/Batman level character, but he was known. Is Blue Beetle enough of a character to become a key for the universe moving forward?

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if he is the first character, wouldnt that presume that he will be a key character moving forward? Ironman was the first character introduced in the the MCU and was the anchor character for 15 years. Ironman wasn’t a Spiderman/Superman/Batman level character, but he was known. Is Blue Beetle enough of a character to become a key for the universe moving forward?

It's weird... IMO they are just trying to generate some interest and avoid a Shazam 2 kind of bomb.

Even if it's a good movie and a cool character, it's very difficult to see BB as anything more important than say, Ant-Man.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's weird... IMO they are just trying to generate some interest and avoid a Shazam 2 kind of bomb.

Even if it's a good movie and a cool character, it's very difficult to see BB as anything more important than say, Ant-Man.
They have done the Antman character dirty in the MCU. Pym was a baller in the comics and in the cartoons. Why relegate him to an aged old has been? And why handle Yellowjacket as just another Obadiah Stane? Yellowjacket, handled traditionally, could have been a great movie and advancement of the story.

All that to say that Antman and Antman 2 were decent enough movies, but overall failures, imho (3 shouldnt even be discussed). But if that is the best case scenario for BB, I fear for the future of the rebooted DCEU.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have done the Antman character dirty in the MCU. Pym was a baller in the comics and in the cartoons. Why relegate him to an aged old has been? And why handle Yellowjacket as just another Obadiah Stane? Yellowjacket, handled traditionally, could have been a great movie and advancement of the story.

All that to say that Antman and Antman 2 were decent enough movies, but overall failures, imho (3 shouldnt even be discussed). But if that is the best case scenario for BB, I fear for the future of the rebooted DCEU.

Yup, they were unfair to Pym, and replacing him with Scott resulted in Ant-Man being a minor level character.

I'm not familiar with the comics, but I don't think Blue Bettle is a major character in DC, and considering that they intended to introduce him this late, I don't think they envisioned him as a major DCEU character. Now that they are rebooting, I think they just need to generate interest and move him to the new universe even if he's going to be a minor character there.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, they were unfair to Pym, and replacing him with Scott resulted in Ant-Man being a minor level character.

I'm not familiar with the comics, but I don't think Blue Bettle is a major character in DC, and considering that they intended to introduce him this late, I don't think they envisioned him as a major DCEU character. Now that they are rebooting, I think they just need to generate interest and move him to the new universe even if he's going to be a minor character there.

People forget that IronMan was a B level superhero for Marvel before the 2008 movie that catapult him into the mainstream.

Now I’m not saying this movie’s gonna do that for Blue Beetle who might be a C level character but why not start with a lower tiered guy to pique people’s interest knowing they will get the big names right around the corner?

The DCEU tried to start off their franchise with Superman and I’m not saying that’s the reason it failed but James Gunn is definitely trying to give us a different outlook.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People forget that IronMan was a B level superhero for Marvel before the 2008 movie that catapult him into the mainstream.

Now I’m not saying this movie’s gonna do that for Blue Beetle who might be a C level character but why not start with a lower tiered guy to pique people’s interest knowing they will get the big names right around the corner?

The DCEU tried to start off their franchise with Superman and I’m not saying that’s the reason it failed but James Gunn is definitely trying to give us a different outlook.
It failed because they threw all their heavyweights in the ring at the very beginning. None of their big roundhouse swings connected because no one was invested in anything yet. The first Avengers movie was like the 6th MCU movie. Not the 2nd.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It failed because they threw all their heavyweights in the ring at the very beginning. None of their big roundhouse swings connected because no one was invested in anything yet. The first Avengers movie was like the 6th MCU movie. Not the 2nd.

It failed because BvS was shit, which led to several overreactions and overcompensations from WB's leadership. If BvS was a good movie, everything would have had a much higher chance of working.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont be fooled first doesnt mean cornerstone... it just means first... and the only reason its first is becasuse it was being made already... it would have been more dumb to just say this movie doesnt exist in our universe!!!...

if they want to make him a recurring character they can, but he will never be as big as Superman, batman, wonderwoman, flash...(left aquaman off,on purpose)...

With all that said, you also have to remember that he is the FIRST live action latino superhero... being the first, is something whether we want to give it credit or not!!! But it all will depend on whether the movie is going to be good or not... if it is bad, then it will damage the universe no matter what...

as for the shazam 2 failure, that one is sad to me... the movie was decent... not great, but decent enough... but it bombed because of the Rock and Black Adam, that should have not been ever made outside of the shazam universe...

If Shazam 2 was instead a black adam story... both would have done much better...

I truly think the Rock was the last straw of the old DC universe regime...

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Final trailer:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imax poster:

06mgpur1wifb1.jpg

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graduation poster:

dzmyrrzkvjfb1.jpg

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back profile poster:

gjef4mh3blfb1.png

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never wanted a movie to succeed more than this one... WOW do i really hope it is a good movie... I love the idea of a lesser known superhero to be showcased in a movie... just hoping DC and WB promote this movie enough!!!

ThereIsNoPlace

The New Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the actor playing beetle is going to be an annoying brooding teenage boy. Not expecting him to make this movie fly.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hispanic directors have made some of the best movies of the past 20 years. Coco and Spider-verse are some of the coolest looking movies ever made. Encanto maybe has the best themes of any kids movie of the past decade and is a subversion of the super hero genre.

I feel like Blue Beetle is channeling none of that.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they actually advertise this. The "first" whatever identity is not really that meaningful tbh (I'm Latino), but it has to be good.
Yeah the angle of "first" is just bullshit IMO.

Will not support the movie at all and I go see these dumb movies with kids. Lopez movies or shows will not get my support.

Sucks as I love these campy action hero movies.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the projections for this movie it’s gonna bomb hard, which is a shame because it’s a damn good movie. Definitely way better than I expected going in. One of the funnest and best origin stories I’ve seen in a long time.

I know James Gunn has said this isn’t the first movie in his universe but he’s open to using the character again in the future and I definitely think he will based on the positive critic response and the extremely positive average movie goer response.