• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BJ Daniels to get equal reps

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry if this has already been posted but I didn't see it anywhere. This is very exciting to me because things were looking pretty grim at back up, Daniels came in and showed arm strength, speed and poise. I'm thinking McCoy and Daniels make the team and Tolzien gets cut. McCoy due to his starting experience is a good asset and allows Daniels to get more practice at QB before taking over the #2 spot.

B.J. Daniels climbing up San Francisco 49ers' quarterback depth chart - ESPN

B.J. Daniels to see more snaps

Updated: August 18, 2013, 6:56 PM ET
Associated Press
Email
Print

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- B.J. Daniels' NFL preseason debut at quarterback has forced the San Francisco 49ers to alter their plans a bit.

The former South Florida star was impressive while directing the winning touchdown drive late in the fourth quarter of San Francisco's 15-13 victory at Kansas City on Friday night -- the 49ers' only touchdown in two preseason games.

That performance has bought Daniels more time and a more serious look at quarterback after the team experimented with the seventh-round draft pick at other positions and on special teams during training camp this summer.

Coach Jim Harbaugh said Sunday that the backup snaps in practice this week behind starter Colin Kaepernick will be evenly distributed between Daniels and veterans Colt McCoy and Scott Tolzien, both of whom have struggled so far in the preseason.

Daniels stepped up when finally given an opportunity at quarterback late in the third quarter against the Chiefs. His only previous action had been a few snaps at wide receiver near the finish of San Francisco's opener against Denver on Aug. 8.

"Going into what he did the other night, it was very positive," Harbaugh said Sunday after the 49ers returned to practice. "It was an encouraging performance, and he's done some encouraging things in practice as well. So, he continues on his process and he competed well and made plays. And when somebody does a good job, you give them a little more."

The 49ers have yet to establish who will be Kaepernick's backup this year after the team traded veteran Alex Smith to Kansas City in March.

San Francisco acquired McCoy from the Cleveland Browns in April, then drafted Daniels later that month to join the competition with Tolzien, San Francisco's No. 3 quarterback behind Kaepernick and Smith the past two seasons.

McCoy and Tolzien received most of the backup snaps throughout training camp as the 49ers gave the versatile Daniels a look at receiver and running back, among other positions. Daniels finished his career at South Florida third in Big East history with 10,501 yards of total offense, including 2,068 yards rushing.

Neither McCoy nor Tolzien performed well in San Francisco's first two exhibitions. McCoy threw an interception in each game, completed just 46 percent of his passes and has a preseason passer rating of 25.3. Tolzien, who has thrown 21 more preseason passes than any other quarterback, has completed 53 percent of his throws and has a passer rating of 57.0.

Daniels didn't follow that trend against the Chiefs. He displayed a strong arm and quick feet while leading the 49ers with 72 yards passing and rushing for 13 yards.

He also displayed poise in the pocket while guiding the 49ers 90 yards on 13 plays to the winning touchdown. Daniels completed all six of his passes during the drive, threading a perfect spiral to Chuck Jacobs in the corner of the end zone to cover the final 14 yards. That left Daniels with a 128.0 passer rating for the night.

"I'm growing every day," Daniels said. "I mean, I've been playing quarterback all my life. So that's what I've always considered myself to be. There was something that they saw that they liked, so really I'm just trying to continue and improve and get better."

Daniels has thrown himself into the mix for the backup role behind Kaepernick, who has played just two series during the preseason. Kaepernick has been a standout in practice throughout the summer, and the 49ers don't feel they need to see much from him until the real games begin.

It's a different situation behind him.

"Scott and Colt had been getting the same amount of reps (this summer), B.J. a little less than those two," Harbaugh said. "And this week, plan on evening it up across the board."

Daniels says he's not concerned with where his snaps come. Like most rookies, he's just trying to make the team. The 49ers will make their first roster cuts after Sunday's exhibition against Minnesota.

"I'm flying around the field and doing special teams and things like that, so it's not even something I'm really focused on," Daniels said. "I'm a competitor. As long as I can compete, whatever coaches ask me to do as a quarterback or any other position, I'm just going to try to master my techniques and fundamentals so I can be a good player and become a better quarterback."

Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Why not just go with BJ Daniels as the backup.

We can probably run the exact same read option offense with him. With McCoy or Tolzien we cannot.
Also he's a carbon copy of Russell Wilson so he can be our scout team QB.

Keep Tolzien as 3rd string QB. He's cheaper than McCoy. Cut McCoy and save $1.5M and use that towards locking up one of our upcoming free agents.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't get too excited yet about this guy after one 4th quarter drive against the K.C. 4th stringers.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm excited about his arm strength, accuracy, and mobility. He flashed more than McCoy and Tolzien have combined. I really hope to see him next game against stiffer competition.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm excited about his arm strength, accuracy, and mobility. He flashed more than McCoy and Tolzien have combined. I really hope to see him next game against stiffer competition.

He did. Its too hard to maintain a consistent attack with "an athlete" playing QB though.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking Harbaugh will only keep 2 QBs on the 53 man roster.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm thinking Harbaugh will only keep 2 QBs on the 53 man roster.

counting Daniels as a QB, or counting him as a slash?

for me, just let the next two Pre-season games play out. Daniels did look good considering his very first QB action, but not letting a series or two make the decision. if this pattern CONTINUES, then he'll earn a spot as a QB.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
counting Daniels as a QB, or counting him as a slash?

for me, just let the next two Pre-season games play out. Daniels did look good considering his very first QB action, but not letting a series or two make the decision. if this pattern CONTINUES, then he'll earn a spot as a QB.

In my opinion the amount of tie he spent in the game nor the type of talent that he played against should make any difference. What is impressive is his arm strength which is vastly superior to McCoy and Tolzien. He also showed mobility that neither of the other two QB's possess. He has tools that neither of those other guys have and he makes us better than either of the other two.

Daniels needs a bit of polishing and experience but his ceiling is much higher than either of the other two and he is more ready to play right now.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
I agree Daniels' ceiling is higher than McCoy and Tolzien. But I think we should keep Daniels as a #3 and either McCoy or Tolzien as #2. Daniels needs a lot more time in the offense and show a lot more of what he did on Friday to be considered an option as the backup. He's gifted with athleticism and arm strength but I want to see him go against the second team this week.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would still stash him on the practice squad as it's unlikely a team is going to pick him up or even if they try we can offer him the promise that his best chance to succeed in the NFL is sticking with us and he'll make the roster soon.

McCoy has the experience and it's been documented that Tolzien helps out by being another set of eyes which is why he beat out Josh Johnson last year.

If CK gets injured you can simply bring up Daniels to the active roster and sort out who should start than.

If McCoy and Tolzien still look terrible I might reconsider my stance on this one though.

willtalk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would still stash him on the practice squad as it's unlikely a team is going to pick him up or even if they try we can offer him the promise that his best chance to succeed in the NFL is sticking with us and he'll make the roster soon.

McCoy has the experience and it's been documented that Tolzien helps out by being another set of eyes which is why he beat out Josh Johnson last year.

If CK gets injured you can simply bring up Daniels to the active roster and sort out who should start than.

If McCoy and Tolzien still look terrible I might reconsider my stance on this one though.

He does not have a choice of refusal until he clears waivers to make it on the squad. This would never happen. Seattle would grab him in a heart beat. Their third QB is Brady Quine. A run/option QB like Daniels is at a premium in today" NFL. Daniels was always a lock for the third QB position. He was never going to see the practice squad. Either he was active or just cut. Harbaugh said right after the draft that he wanted his #3 QB on the active roster, but that he also needed to be able to back up other positions to justify that.

That Daniels was going to make the team was never a surprise to me. I said that right after the draft. You have to think like Harbaugh. He had plans for Daniels when he drafted him just like he did for Kaep. What was a surprise was the troubles Colt McCoy is having. I also didn't think Daniels would be far along enough to be considered the back up yet. I did think he would get that spot before the season was over. Tolzien was never really in the mix. He just became so because of Mc Coys problems difficulty. Tolzien was always just considered a third string level QB. That's really his ceiling.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He does not have a choice of refusal until he clears waivers to make it on the squad. This would never happen. Seattle would grab him in a heart beat. Their third QB is Brady Quine. A run/option QB like Daniels is at a premium in today" NFL. Daniels was always a lock for the third QB position. He was never going to see the practice squad. Either he was active or just cut. Harbaugh said right after the draft that he wanted his #3 QB on the active roster, but that he also needed to be able to back up other positions to justify that.

That Daniels was going to make the team was never a surprise to me. I said that right after the draft. You have to think like Harbaugh. He had plans for Daniels when he drafted him just like he did for Kaep. What was a surprise was the troubles Colt McCoy is having. I also didn't think Daniels would be far along enough to be considered the back up yet. I did think he would get that spot before the season was over. Tolzien was never really in the mix. He just became so because of Mc Coys problems difficulty. Tolzien was always just considered a third string level QB. That's really his ceiling.

I really think comparing him to Kaep is apples and oranges. A 2nd Rd QB is always given a roster spot and a plan. A 7th Rd QB is given a life raft. They brought him in as a system fit and so far he's done great things, but if he didn't play well last week he'd be pretty much hanging onto his NFL life right now. We'll see if he can keep it up. I really try not to get too excited about QB's late in preseason games. Tolzien absolutely lit us up a few years back, and Nate Davis flashed some very good things when he first came around.

Physically he's definitely got something. If Daniels earns the backup spot this year, he'll need to show command of the full offense. It could happen (especially with how bad the other QB's has been), but ideally I think they want a vet to fill in as the backup and then they can develop him in the #3 spot. Tolzien better turn it around real fast or he'll be out. I wasn't a fan of the McCoy signing, but was hoping either Tolzien or McCoy could show something.