• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Biggest surprise teams so far

Who ya got?

• Minnesota Twins

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Arizona Diamondbacks

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Colorado Rockies

• Houston Astros

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New York Yankees

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Other

• Total voters

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Discuss

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id have to go with the Twins, only team there i really see as a last place ballclub

Astros were heavy favs to at least be a postseason team

Yankees are a huge surprise, but not as much as the Twins

Dbacks have had the talent, just underachieved last season big time

And me personally, loved the Rockies this season, so no surprise

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id have to go with the Twins, only team there i really see as a last place ballclub

Astros were heavy favs to at least be a postseason team

Yankees are a huge surprise, but not as much as the Twins

Dbacks have had the talent, just underachieved last season big time

And me personally, loved the Rockies this season, so no surprise

I agree with the Twins ... The Yankees started retooling last year and it looks to be paying dividends ... the White Sox are doing the same thing and are going to be a huge threat.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the Twins ... The Yankees started retooling last year and it looks to be paying dividends ... the White Sox are doing the same thing and are going to be a huge threat.

if the White Sox can hit it big with their trades of Frazier and Quintana, they are really gonna be building something special

Rumors are the Red Sox want them both, and Rafael Devers is about all the Sox have left as far as really high end guys in the minors...That would be a really good get

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the White Sox can hit it big with their trades of Frazier and Quintana, they are really gonna be building something special

Rumors are the Red Sox want them both, and Rafael Devers is about all the Sox have left as far as really high end guys in the minors...That would be a really good get

Dombrowski is definitely a "Right Now" General Manager ... that is killing us here in Detroit. We will be selling off in July if we are not in the thick of things. JD Martinez would be a great fit with the Yankees, he is a good role model for the Yankees youngsters and a student of the game.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dombrowski is definitely a "Right Now" General Manager ... that is killing us here in Detroit. We will be selling off in July if we are not in the thick of things. JD Martinez would be a great fit with the Yankees, he is a good role model for the Yankees youngsters and a student of the game.

Thats definitely Dombrowski's MO...He has gutted the Sox system in record time, seen as the best in the bigs less than 2 seasons ago, now meddling near the bottom I believe

Love JD Martinez, not sure if they could find the room for him, with the development of Hicks, they now have 4 OF's for 3 spots.....Not that JD isnt better than Ellsbury, Gardner and Hicks, but ya know how it works, big money contracts prevent teams from throwing those guys on the bench

DweeberAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 928.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona Diamondbacks

Really wasn't expecting much of a season since pitching looked like to be the issue again. Pleasantly surprised, pitching has been quite good, even gotten past a few injuries and offense has been good enough.

At this point, 11 games over .500 at home (something new) and only 3 games below on the road which really could have been better if not for some defense issues.

Fun season quite unlike last year where after the first month we were completely out of it already.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah they still have 2 guys in the top 36 in Devers and Groome. But that's it. 3 others in the top 21 (Moncada, Kopech, and Espinoza) were traded in the last 10 months. Now, two of those got Sale so I'm not gonna complain.

But while the farm system isn't great anymore, they've graduated Betts, Bogaerts, Bradley, Rodriguez, and Benintendi over the last few years. And none of those guys are free agency eligible until 2020 at the earliest (and only Bogaerts then). Plus, Dombrowski does have a history of trading away prospects, but how many have actually come back to bite him? Carl Everett was probably the best prospect he traded away.

Now, that doesn't mean that Moncada and Kopech aren't going to be studs, because I think they are. But, they got Sale in that deal and I'll take that any day. The biggest one that I think they could regret, is the Espinoza for Pomeranz one. I can't pretend that I wasn't excited about this kid, but he's 19, going through growing pains and experiencing some elbow issues. So we'll see.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart people had their eyes on the Twins young talent last year

If they could just get some decent pitchers, they will be dangerous

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you told me before the season with that rotation that neither Arcia or Villar would be hitting and Feliz would implode and that they'd be in first place in that division near the end of May, I'd've said you were mental.

Happy for Travis Shaw, though...Sox could really use him.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you told me before the season with that rotation that neither Arcia or Villar would be hitting and Feliz would implode and that they'd be in first place in that division near the end of May, I'd've said you were mental.

Happy for Travis Shaw, though...Sox could really use him.

Shaw and Thames have been welcome surprises that is for sure

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't mind Quintana on the Red Sox but I do want the Sox to actually hold onto good quality prospects and build there team too...

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind Quintana on the Red Sox but I do want the Sox to actually hold onto good quality prospects and build there team too...
I feel that with the 3rd base problem we have, there's no way they can get rid of Devers. So at that point, they don't have enough to get Quintana anymore. And they won't have the money to sign a free agent at 3rd if they decide to trade Devers. That is if they want to stay under the luxury tax. Considering they have no big contracts coming off the books next year, and they're going to want to execute the options on Kimbrel/Sale obviously, plus Mookie now hitting arbitration next year.

It is however possible that the reason they wanted to stay under the luxury tax this year was because they knew they were going to have to go over next year no matter what.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel that with the 3rd base problem we have, there's no way they can get rid of Devers. So at that point, they don't have enough to get Quintana anymore. And they won't have the money to sign a free agent at 3rd if they decide to trade Devers. That is if they want to stay under the luxury tax. Considering they have no big contracts coming off the books next year, and they're going to want to execute the options on Kimbrel/Sale obviously, plus Mookie now hitting arbitration next year.

It is however possible that the reason they wanted to stay under the luxury tax this year was because they knew they were going to have to go over next year no matter what.

True next year I am thinking they have to go over the luxury tax... I don't want them to trade Devers either... But you are right it most likely would take him and someone else to get Quintana... Pablo and Price terrible signings!

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True next year I am thinking they have to go over the luxury tax... I don't want them to trade Devers either... But you are right it most likely would take him and someone else to get Quintana... Pablo and Price terrible signings!
I won't knock the Price signing. I was for it when they did it so I can't just look back in hindsight. I will always be fine spending money on pitchers, especially this franchise who has demonstrated a lack of ability to develop good pitching. The reason the Sandoval signing is stupid is because you aren't going to spend money on another 3rd baseman to replace him, and if he's at least marginally healthy, you're going to play him because of the money he makes.

With Price, if he's healthy enough to pitch, he's going to certainly be better than any replacement level guy. It may look bad to see an ERA above 3.50 for a guy making $30 million, but in the end you still get a good pitcher and it's not my money. If Price wasn't there last year, we don't win the division. If Sandoval isn't there last year...oh wait he wasn't.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SF Giants, in a bad way.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Frazier wouldn't add much imo. The random jog around the bases.

But whoever trades for Quintana should try to get years when they get him. Solid part of a rotation right there till he's done playing baseball. An under appreciated pitcher to say the least. This seasons results not withstanding.