• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big12's best days are ahead

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will never be expansion or a network.

Conference networks are not exactly all that successful outside of the SEC......the B1G is doing better but without a list of marquee programs in the conference the network lags.

Unless the B12 can get another blue blood or two, there will be no expansion. Every team that's been proposed does not move the needle, or eyeballs to TV sets.

Let's be realistic here. The B12 will not go away UNTIL Texas/OU want it to go away. Plain and simple.

This is where someone like Arkansas comes in. Any chance of that?

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would also mean way less money (instability) for the current members of the Big12 because the TV folks told us that they wouldn't pay any more money for those G5 schools you mention when we were seriously considering expanding last year.

Probably right. But that's now. Get them in a major conference and once they start winning, things will change for the positive.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will never be expansion or a network.

Conference networks are not exactly all that successful outside of the SEC......the B1G is doing better but without a list of marquee programs in the conference the network lags.

Unless the B12 can get another blue blood or two, there will be no expansion. Every team that's been proposed does not move the needle, or eyeballs to TV sets.

Let's be realistic here. The B12 will not go away UNTIL Texas/OU want it to go away. Plain and simple.

I agree, I could see the Big12 taking in some schools from the PAC/merger before the Big12 folds at this point.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would get better players if they were in a major conference.
At this point it is a race against the clock....OU will leave without Texass say so, texass has looked like ass. The big12 is hangin on by a thread and a prayer right now....

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where someone like Arkansas comes in. Any chance of that?

if it's not a major program it's not going to happen. Arky would fit the bill, but they're unlikely to leave the SEC.

Our best shot was FSU in the first year after Neb/Colorado left. But our idiot commissioner blew it by not jumping on the chance.

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point it is a race against the clock....OU will leave without Texass say so, texass has looked like ass. The big12 is hangin on by a thread and a prayer right now....

Yeah I believe Oklahoma would leave. That's why they have to act quickly.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if it's not a major program it's not going to happen. Arky would fit the bill, but they're unlikely to leave the SEC.

Our best shot was FSU in the first year after Neb/Colorado left. But our idiot commissioner blew it by not jumping on the chance.

I only mention them because the geography fits and there is no buyout in the SEC. less hoops to jump through.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's actually not true. Payouts by conference place the B12 in the top 3.

The B12 is doing WELL financially. This myth that the conference is dying is based on bias, not fact.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably right. But that's now. Get them in a major conference and once they start winning, things will change for the positive.

Meh, if they dominated until the next contract then maybe but to date I don't think any of them would do much in the Big12 or any other P5 TBH. The move hasn't seemed to have helped Rutgers, Syracuse ect..

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's actually not true. Payouts by conference place the B12 in the top 3.

The B12 is doing WELL financially. This myth that the conference is dying is based on bias, not fact.
LoL i dont think i was making this about the $$ all it takes is for a "deserving" ou to be left out of the CFP a few times (and lets face it, it will happen) OU then gets tired of beating the same team a 2nd time or maybe even losing to the team they already beat because of the CCG being what it is.... but financially i wasnt making any indication

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LoL i dont think i was making this about the $$ all it takes is for a "deserving" ou to be left out of the CFP a few times (and lets face it, it will happen) OU then gets tired of beating the same team a 2nd time or maybe even losing to the team they already beat because of the CCG being what it is.... but financially i wasnt making any indication

An undefeated OU this year ain't getting left out. (I know you weren't just talking about this year) an most times they wouldn't ethier.

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, if they dominated until the next contract then maybe but to date I don't think any of them would do much in the Big12 or any other P5 TBH. The move hasn't seemed to have helped Rutgers, Syracuse ect..

Ok, good point. There always has to be losers. Are Syracuse and Rutgers itching to leave their conferences?

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An undefeated OU this year ain't getting left out. (I know you weren't just talking about this year) an most times they wouldn't ethier.
Maybe, maybe not... we'll see, even still when you get into the 1 loss discussion.... it changes drastically

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, maybe not... we'll see, even still when you get into the 1 loss discussion.... it changes drastically

I agree on the 1 loss scenario. In that case it really depends on the perception (unfortunately) of the conference. I hate the thought of having to nutswing off other members for the good of the conference.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on the 1 loss scenario. In that case it really depends on the perception (unfortunately) of the conference. I hate the thought of having to nutswing off other members for the good of the conference.
That is the reality of it now a days though... At that point it will be a race of which 1-loss team is unhappy and leaves conference or the CFP expands to 8

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will go so far as to say if the CFP expands to 8 the Big12 is likely goign to expand and stay forever...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its ALWAYS about the money, ANY move/non move as far as schools changing conferences/conferences inviting ect. is always about money and how to make more.

Big12 has made moves to make more money. Conference was getting zilch when we were missing the playoff and not having a CCG. Now the conference gets the CCG money regardless of the playoff and if we make the playoff then even better.

If OU and Texas are what they SHOULD be under those new coaches then you get the RRS in October then Texas/OU in the CCG in most years for a spot in the playoff as long as they handle their business during conference play. If they DON'T then they don't deserve to go to the playoff anyway. Everybody should be pretty happy.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, good point. There always has to be losers. Are Syracuse and Rutgers itching to leave their conferences?
If the BIG invited SU they would be gone ASAP (If the ACC didn't have a GOR that is), a lot more money to be had in the BIG than the ACC.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor and TCU got passed over because they were not named Ohio State
That had nothing to do with the Big 12 being inferior.

If TEXAS or OKLAHOMA were the schools in 2014-15, the Buckeyes are sitting at home.
And in reverse if it was Purdue as the Big 10 champs, 2014-15 TCU/Baylor would have went.

And that is fair.
College Football was built on the backs of ND, Texas, OU, USC, Alabama, Nebraska, and Michigan.
Those schools have done so much for the sport that they have all earned a little leeway.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would also mean way less money (instability) for the current members of the Big12 because the TV folks told us that they wouldn't pay any more money for those G5 schools you mention when we were seriously considering expanding last year.
Uh....not sure if that is completely accurate.

Actually the current members of the Big XII would have pocketed the same amount as always, due to the existing clause in the TV contracts that guaranteed equal payment in the event of expansion, by adding teams. Those added teams would maybe not make the full amount however...depends on how the contracts were drawn. The networks were hamstrung, that's why all Big XII members enjoyed a little contractual bump FOR NOT expanding.

We all basically got paid more for sitting in the sinking boat until the water gets higher.

Makes OU no diff honestly. We will be fine no matter how the wash comes out. You guise however........