• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big12 to David Boren:

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Boren is hastening the inevitable...whatever that may be.

You can dislike the man or fear the man but you will respect the man and realize that he's brokered more deals than you will ever see. As a legislator, as a University President...this isn't some johnny-come-lately regent who just won a popularity contest. It's David Boren...he has quite a bit of stroke with quite a few folks. Don't doubt what he can get done.

Only two inevitabilities at play here:
The Okla./Kansas schools w/Iowa St and WVU on one side.
texico, TT, Baylol, TCU and two expansion teams on the other.

Or

OU doing what it needs to do on it's own, for itself. Best of luck to the rest of you.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Boren is hastening the inevitable...whatever that may be.

You can dislike the man or fear the man but you will respect the man and realize that he's brokered more deals than you will ever see. As a legislator, as a University President...this isn't some johnny-come-lately regent who just won a popularity contest. It's David Boren...he has quite a bit of stroke with quite a few folks. Don't doubt what he can get done.

Only two inevitabilities at play here:
The Okla./Kansas schools w/Iowa St and WVU on one side.
texico, TT, Baylol, TCU and two expansion teams on the other.

Or

OU doing what it needs to do on it's own, for itself. Best of luck to the rest of you.

:dhd: OR, he's a delusional old fart from the good ol boy days that just got put in his place by the people that have his schools TV rights...

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:dhd: OR, he's a delusional old fart from the good ol boy days that just got put in his place by the people that have his schools TV rights...

Yeah maybe, but serving 1 term as the Governor of Oklahoma and 2 terms as a United States Senator, I would imagine he knows what he's doing and who to talk to, to get some things done.

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You know better. WVU came into the Big XII from the same fucked up situation that OU is facing now.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU ran their mouths and were not expecting to get hit back in the teeth hard by a little guy.
OU is getting hit back with freaking K-state leading the charge.....and it is very entertaining.

How the hell do you let K-State sit you back into the corner for a timeout like a Mom yelling at a 4 yr old??
It is funny. Why shouldn't we laugh at our rivals.

If K-state did the same thing to Texas, the Sooners would be laughing as well. I would expect no less.
It was funny.

The very first post in this entire thread sums it up.

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU ran their mouths and were not expecting to get hit back in the teeth hard by a little guy.
OU is getting hit back with freaking K-state leading the charge.....and it is very entertaining.

How the hell do you let K-State sit you back into the corner for a timeout like a Mom yelling at a 4 yr old??
It is funny. Why shouldn't we laugh at our rivals.

If K-state did the same thing to Texas, the Sooners would be laughing as well. I would expect no less.
It was funny.

The very first post in this entire thread sums it up.

I like typing in bold, because it makes my internet posts seem more important.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh man it would be hilarious if OU went to the Pac 12, got way less tier 3 money, and played their games on west coast time.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Big XII would eventually fold and get carved-up by the other P-5 conferences, I believe Iowa State, K-State, and Texas Tech would be in trouble and would not get a position in a P-5 conference.

Here is a hypothetical Big XII dismemberment scenario... unrealistic.... sure.... but just for funsies, let's increase the B1G, SEC, ACC, and PAC to 16 members at the expense of the Big XII:

-Oklahoma and Kansas to the B1G West Div. (Purdue slides over to B1G East Div.)

-Texas and Houston to PAC (sorry Texas Tech, but metropolitan Houston is much more attractive to the PAC than the Lubbock area)... to get the PAC to 16, possibly add Notre Dame and Boise State and create a PAC Eastern Div consisting of ND, Texas, Houston, Colorado, Boise St, Utah, Arizona, ASU.... the PAC West Div would then consist of the 4 Cali teams, 2 from Ore, and 2 from Wash.

-Oklahoma State to SEC West and West Virginia to SEC East

-ACC is comfortable including small private schools as it already has 5 of them (Miami, Wake, Duke, Syracuse, BC).... so, the ACC gets into the Texas market by adding both Baylor and TCU as travel partners.

Again, Iowa State, K-State, and Texas Tech get screwed.... Sorry, but Ames, IA, Lubbock, TX, and Manhattan, KS are just not attractive enough to the P-5. So.... Iowa State to the MAC.... and K-State and Texas Tech to the MWC.

Again.... this was just for funsies.... not for realism.

TTECH will be going wherever TEXAS would go. Lubbock may be a major shit hole of a city and smell like pure ass, but the Techsters have some alum in the TX State Legislature with some major clout who will ensure TEXAS will not go anywhere without our stoned, drunk all the time little brother TTECH.....

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the old saying goes, "it's not personal, it's just business". OU can't sweat what Kansas State wants. It can't really care what anyone else wants when we have finally come to a crossroads in the history of the University. Either OU starts climbing out of the hole it's in due to money worries that revolve around our desire to improve our academic reputation or we accept our fate and stay right where we are.........which is being bogged down in a crappy conference while watching other Universities around the U.S. get fat feeding at the trough of huge research grants, etc. We would probably prefer to stay right where we are now if the money for academics could somehow greatly improve but that is not possible. So.......we have to make a move to salvage our situation. If that leaves Kansas State, Iowa State, Whoever in a pickle that's too bad. We're Oklahoma; we've known our own share of misfortunes over the years too. It's called Life.

So Goldbug, it seems to me OU's problems are lying with the individuals who are in charge of money making decisions and not the conference. I mean, if KU and WVU signed more lucrative 3rd tier deals than OU, somebody needs to be fired in Norman. If you're worried about research grants and funds, then he department at OU responsible for that are not doing their jobs. Looks like a lot of people need to be fired in Norman, IMO....If you go to the Pac, your academic reputation might improve, but OU takes a major paycut. And today, it's all about money....

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping they were coming last time. Its A perfect fit imo. And i would love to see A rivalry form with the tradition and success of the USC and Oklahoma programs. Its good for the game imo. And I agree rrso doesn't get cut off regardless. Texas would be losing A lot if they dropped it. It carries on as an out of conference rivalry no different than USD/Notre Dame if Oklahoma shifts conferences

Texas doesn't lose a thing if the RRSO were to end. OU has everything to lose. Now as fans and alumni, both will be the major losers if that were to happen, as one of the best rivalries ever will come to an end.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas doesn't lose a thing if the RRSO were to end. OU has everything to lose. Now as fans and alumni, both will be the major losers if that were to happen, as one of the best rivalries ever will come to an end.

It doesn't matter. That game ain't going anywhere no matter what happens.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter. That game ain't going anywhere no matter what happens.

that's all I care about. All this conference crap really means nothing to me, just don't want to lost that damn game.

hell, already lost the a&m game on thanksgiving. The RRSO is the big enchilada, if the suits lose me that game, damn.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reading through this, I see the refrain "it's all Texas' fault" still rings loud and clear.

I say, blow it all up, everybody go their separate ways (just keep the RRSO) and let everybody stand where they are big enough to stand.

Then, when it's no longer "Texas' fault", we can measure d#@&$.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reading through this, I see the refrain "it's all Texas' fault" still rings loud and clear.

I say, blow it all up, everybody go their separate ways (just keep the RRSO) and let everybody stand where they are big enough to stand.

Then, when it's no longer "Texas' fault", we can measure d#@&$.
I agree. 4 mega conferences are what the powers that be want anyway. I'd ready to see which schools don't have a chair when the music stops.

And let's be honest. There are only a handful of teams/schools "big enough to stand" in the place you are inferring. A bunch think they should be allowed to stand there by association (and are), but they can't truly stand there on their own.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Goldbug, it seems to me OU's problems are lying with the individuals who are in charge of money making decisions and not the conference. I mean, if KU and WVU signed more lucrative 3rd tier deals than OU, somebody needs to be fired in Norman. If you're worried about research grants and funds, then he department at OU responsible for that are not doing their jobs. Looks like a lot of people need to be fired in Norman, IMO....If you go to the Pac, your academic reputation might improve, but OU takes a major paycut. And today, it's all about money....

Exes, you're partially right. There should be some heads roll at OU. Stability is nice to have but OU has let some people stay in jobs for 20-30 years who are not bringing "A" team results. We have some good people too so we aren't a lost cause. On the other hand, all the talk about Tier 3 rights doesn't touch the potential $$$ from becoming an AAU member and being able to upgrade our academics to feed at the Federal trough of grants, etc. That's the real priority although it's sure hard to say football should not be since I'm also a huge football fan. But Boren's right; we need to stir things up to get things moving. OU has a severe case of academic atherrosclerosis right now.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because NOBODY wants Oklahoma's TV market and the smallish Oklahoma recruiting pipeline by itself.
The academics are not helping either.

1) The SEC already has the SEC NETWORK as "in market" for the greater OU fan base market.
It makes little sense for them to pick OU over the more lucrative options in North Carolina and Virginia/DC.
There are millions and millions better reason for the SEC to go NC and VA first.

2) The ACC makes zero sense for either side. It would actually lose money for OU.

3) The Big 10 will not take any non AAU schools.

4) So, the only option is for the Sooners to go West.
But, they need a TV market partner as well for the PAC-12. OKC is not enough for the PAC Network and travel.
Luckily for OU, the states of VA and NC are not competitors for the PAC-12.
So, the Sooners need to bring along Texas, Texas A&m, or maybe Kansas.
A&M - no chance
Kansas - who knows?? They seem more likely to be a Big 10 holdout eventually.
Texas - Only if the LHN doesn't exist.

Which brings us all the way back to the REAL reason Boren is on a one man crusade to get rid of the LHN.

I don't know how true that is anymore. I think the B1G would definitely consider OU, especially if it was a package deal with KU (or, obviously with Texas). They would not, however, accept OU in a package deal with Okie St.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Times are hard at OU. And David Boren is not screwing around. Bottom line, OU absolutely must find a way to increase revenues to the University and improving our academics is the best long term way to do that. Athletics will play a big part too but stories like this illustrate how serious the situation is at OU. OU president to recommend pay cuts for himself, other top administrators

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Then, when it's no longer "Texas' fault", we can measure d#@&$.[/QUOTE]

I do not agree with this post, AT ALL.

I AM short and white.