• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big12 to David Boren:

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boren is going to do and say whatever he wants.
Just like Gee at WVU.
They don't like the direction the Conference is going, behind closed doors, so they talk to the media.

And of course the other programs in the conference won't say anything. They make more money now than they ever dreamed of. And know that if the Conference breaks up, they are fucked, because none of them will make that kind of money again unless they are the tag along team with a Texas or Oklahoma, going somewhere else.

Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, WVU are the only teams that will make it to a better place if the Conference implodes.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the practice of not airing the dirty laundry in public, that needs to stay in house but you may be correct about them being frustrated. Sounds like the B12 members are at least getting CLOSE to getting on the same page moving forward.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boren is going to do and say whatever he wants.
Just like Gee at WVU.
They don't like the direction the Conference is going, behind closed doors, so they talk to the media.

And of course the other programs in the conference won't say anything. They make more money now than they ever dreamed of. And know that if the Conference breaks up, they are fucked, because none of them will make that kind of money again unless they are the tag along team with a Texas or Oklahoma, going somewhere else.

Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, WVU are the only teams that will make it to a better place if the Conference implodes.
They'll need to go to the ACC.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question: Who do you guys think they should invite to join the conference? I can't find one that brings enough revenue in order to keep from reducing each school's current share.

However, if they are willing to take a reduction... WTH am I talking about? That'll never happen. Money is king in CFB. And it is amazing how some of the coattail schools are getting so much money and still lose to lesser moneyed teams like Houston, Memphis, etc.

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 12 died back when A&M, Nebraska, Mizzou, and Colorado walked out.
The Big 12 died when the Longhorn Network was created
The Big 12 died when the SEC, PAC12, and the BIG were gobbling up good teams and the Big 12 just sat idly by
The Big 12 died because no one told Texas to shut the fuck up and NO

Anyone who thinks the Big12 will survive, is delusional.
Bringing in WVU, Baylor, and TCU was just a band aid.
The ONLY way the Big12 can survive is to reach into the ACC and start doing a power grab.
Picking up BYU, or Houston, or UCF ect..ect... will not be enough, they need to grab teams with names and bring teams a little closer to home for WVU.
IF and thats a big IF the Big12 survives past 2020, it wont make it to 2025.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question: Who do you guys think they should invite to join the conference? I can't find one that brings enough revenue in order to keep from reducing each school's current share.

However, if they are willing to take a reduction... WTH am I talking about? That'll never happen. Money is king in CFB. And it is amazing how some of the coattail schools are getting so much money and still lose to lesser moneyed teams like Houston, Memphis, etc.

It has been said that TV money would increase if the Conference took in new members. Each team gets X amount of dollars times 10, each team gets the same X amount of dollars times 12, etc. Don't know if this is the actual truth. If it is, then adding any team would seem to pay for itself almost.

If P5 teams are off the table to add, then I would think adding BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, something like that maybe.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 12 died when the SEC, PAC12, and the BIG were gobbling up good teams and the Big 12 just sat idly by

The ONLY way the Big12 can survive is to reach into the ACC and start doing a power grab.
Picking up BYU, or Houston, or UCF ect..ect... will not be enough, they need to grab teams with names and bring teams a little closer to home for WVU.

This is where my thinking is actually.

It has been said that academic/research dollars dwarf anything that football can bring in. And almost sounds like Boren is using the Oklahoma Football Brand as leverage in an attempt to align the University with a Conference that has those research dollars. The Football team will survive anywhere they go. The University needs the money from research to move forward.

It's what I would be doing.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boren just wont shut the fuck up.

He is the drunken uncle leftover from a different era that has been there too long.
All his old friends and allies are gone as the other schools have changed leadership.

Less than 2% of all university presidents in the entire 400+ years of higher education serve 20+ years.
And very few have done so in the modern era.

The Big 12 is doing just fine.
Yes, it could be a lot better no doubt. But, his rabble rousing "look at me" style is not helping at all.
When you have this old geezer Boren constantly spouting off, it is just a bad look for the Sooners.

The other 9 schools (plus 99.99% of the Oklahoma people as well) have had enough and want to muzzle him.
It looks like there is a push in Oklahoma to put him out to pasture soon.

There is a strong contingent of solid young intelligent leaders in Oklahoma ready to be elevated.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. West Virginia is so scared to death about the big 12 falling apart. We're fucking Oklahoma. We do what we want, when we want. If we decide to leave, there really won't be a damn thing any of the other schools can do to stop it.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that OU has nowhere to go (by itself) and Boren knows this to be true.
OU really needs a partner or it is stuck.

Boren is doing everything in his power to simply break up the Big 12, so he can grab the only two viable partners in Kansas or Texas. It is transparent. There is a hidden agenda for Boren.

And KANSAS STATE had had enough.
KSU brought down the hammer and told Boren to Shut the Fuck up.

Texas has not said a word.
I enjoy watching OU finally get exposed as an equal bully and get bitch slapped by the KSU people.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go, David, go. Get us out of the Texas and Sons Conference and to the Pac12. Preferably with Texas but if that proves impossible then we can always keep the Horns on the schedule as an OOC game. Unless UT gets chippy like they did with aTm and "cut us off". It's time OU did what's best for OU. If the Defense Option Conference isn't in Oklahoma's best interests long term, both athletically and academically, then so be it.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks to guvnuh Ann Richards, Baylor was one of the original teams when the Big 8 and SWC merged into the Big 12.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go, David, go. Get us out of the Texas and Sons Conference and to the Pac12. Preferably with Texas but if that proves impossible then we can always keep the Horns on the schedule as an OOC game. Unless UT gets chippy like they did with aTm and "cut us off". It's time OU did what's best for OU. If the Defense Option Conference isn't in Oklahoma's best interests long term, both athletically and academically, then so be it.

Texas won't cut off the rrso. It's one of the top 3 rivalry games in all of college football. They already cut off the A&M game. They need that rivalry. Get out and give the double bird on the way.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been said that academic/research dollars dwarf anything that football can bring in.
I've heard this as well. Haven't researched it but it is said to be huge. And universities are allowed to charge up to 40% indirect costs to administer some grants. That can be a big bump in general revenue.

Do you think this may be part of the reason the PAC 12 doesn't seem overly concerned with being so far behind the B1G and SEC in football TV revenue? From what I understand, many of them attract huge research dollars.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought this was s sarcastic post quoting what dunces say. But it turns out you were serious, and the queen of the dunces.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that OU has nowhere to go (by itself) and Boren knows this to be true.

This is straight up delusional and backwards.

The SEC would take Oklahoma(by itself) without even remotely thinking twice about it. I'd be more worried that Oklahoma wouldn't leave OkSt behind which would be a deal breaker rather than going it alone.

If the SEC needed to find another team for some odd reason, it's not going to be hard and they don't need Oklahoma to do it for them.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go, David, go..

I think you have inadvertently hit the nail on the head. I think Boren like Delo$$ will be on his way out soon.

Boren is doing everything in his power to simply break up the Big 12, so he can grab the only two viable partners in Kansas or Texas. It is transparent. There is a hidden agenda for Boren.

And KANSAS STATE had had enough.
KSU brought down the hammer and told Boren to Shut the Fuck up.

Texas has not said a word.
I enjoy watching OU finally get exposed as an equal bully and get bitch slapped by the KSU people.

Reminds me of ol Delo$$ Dodds before he was shown the door. Could be looking at the same type of situation.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. West Virginia is so scared to death about the big 12 falling apart. We're fucking Oklahoma. We do what we want, when we want. If we decide to leave, there really won't be a damn thing any of the other schools can do to stop it.

:lol: Remember when OU wanted to go to the PAC? :suds: Good times

No worries though, good ol WVU rode in for the rescue..

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me explain something in a fair, honest way so those who don't know a lot about Oklahoma, other than sports, can understand where David Boren is coming from. Oklahoma is a small state with a narrow economic base --- primarily oil & gas and agriculture. We have a lot of defense spending in the state (Tinker AFB, Fort Sill, Vance AFB, headquarters for the FAA, etc.) but that is all Federal spending. State spending has been slowly eroding for university funding over the past 10 years. In fact, it has gotten to the point is was already an embarrassment but now the energy crash has decimated state finances and OU is never, repeat never, going to get enough money from the state legislature to grow and develop like it wants. So, the only and best option is to align with other schools who can provide some synergy to increase the income stream to OU's academic side. A move to the Pac12, not the B1G, is the best shot we have. It may appear to be selfish but it is also a matter of pure survival. We either get better or we will get weaker and fall further behind and never catch up. We need the grant money, we aspire to be an AAU member and we want to maintain our athletic excellence. David Boren is looking toward the future and he is playing poker with people who think they are good chess players. In ten years Oklahoma will have what it wants (and needs!) one way or the other. We have to.