• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big12 to David Boren:

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the big 12 schools would actually lose money if the LHN was rolled into a conference network. Boren is about 3yrs too late on wanting a conference network. With cord cutting the big 12 schools should be looking at the WWE network model, a monthly pay app. Or each school should do their own, look to the future instead of the past.

I agree with ya.

Just think they're never gonna shut up about it until they find it out for themselves.

As long as Texas gets the money as per the contract, I don't care if they roll it over.

I will miss all the Texas stuff I get to watch, but I imagine they would still have a bunch of it.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good Gawd Almighty

List the teams that had to leave to 'get out from Texas' shadow/control/bossiness/power/just panties in a wad.

Geez maybe Texas should just go Independent and do like Notre Dame, pick a conference they can latch onto for a group of games every year. The whining over the past 15 or so years is tiresome.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good Gawd Almighty

List the teams that had to leave to 'get out from Texas' shadow/control/bossiness/power/just panties in a wad.

Geez maybe Texas should just go Independent and do like Notre Dame, pick a conference they can latch onto for a group of games every year. The whining over the past 15 or so years is tiresome.
IMHO that goes back to Dodd's personality more than anything else....even more than the LHN. But, that is just my view from what occurred.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see any reason why the SEC would want OKLAHOMA anytime soon.

The SEC doesn't need a 12th member (NEBRASKA), and it doesn't need expansion to avoid imminent death (WVU and TCU).

For a stable league already at 12 members, the only reason to expand is for a team that hits all the marks.

Other than name recognition, OU hits none of the marks the SEC wants.
It doesn't add a timezone. It doesn't add a recruiting base. It doesn't improve academics. It doesn't offer a big new TV market.

Yes, OU has a big name. But, you need a lot more than that these days.
Teams like North Carolina and Virginia Tech offer so much more.

The SEC will go that way long before they remotely consider OU.

If UNC were to ever leave the ACC, I believe it'd be in a partnership with UVA to go to the B1G, not the SEC. The SEC would probably take VT and Duke instead.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see any reason why the SEC would want OKLAHOMA anytime soon.

The SEC doesn't need a 12th member (NEBRASKA), and it doesn't need expansion to avoid imminent death (WVU and TCU).

For a stable league already at 12 members, the only reason to expand is for a team that hits all the marks.

Other than name recognition, OU hits none of the marks the SEC wants.
It doesn't add a timezone. It doesn't add a recruiting base. It doesn't improve academics. It doesn't offer a big new TV market.

Yes, OU has a big name. But, you need a lot more than that these days.
Teams like North Carolina and Virginia Tech offer so much more.

The SEC will go that way long before they remotely consider OU.

Stop it. You're acting like the pretty girl who thinks absolutely everybody wants to date her and nobody would ever want to break up with her. Two schools have already left the conference because of hard feelings against Texas. Saying Oklahoma couldn't leave the Big 12 even if it wanted to is hubris.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop it. You're acting like the pretty girl who thinks absolutely everybody wants to date her and nobody would ever want to break up with her. Two schools have already left the conference because of hard feelings against Texas. Saying Oklahoma couldn't leave the Big 12 even if it wanted to is hubris.

truth-bomb.gif

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's probably right though. Someone posted an article saying the only way the SEC would make more $$$ on expansion is to get into Virginia and north Carolina. Expansion for the Big ten and SEC comes down to tv sets in your state, so if either of these conferences expand they'll do so in these states, or for the big ten Texas would be huge.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's probably right though. Someone posted an article saying the only way the SEC would make more $$$ on expansion is to get into Virginia and north Carolina. Expansion for the Big ten and SEC comes down to tv sets in your state, so if either of these conferences expand they'll do so in these states, or for the big ten Texas would be huge.

Lance, with all due respect, what you are missing is not just people in Oklahoma watch OU play football. It wouldn't be a decision based just on the number of TV sets in Oklahoma City and Tulsa. Oklahoma is a national brand. Football fans all over the country (OU and non-OU supporters) like to watch Oklahoma play college football. That is the reason why a low population state like Oklahoma has won a hard earned reputation as one of the top 2-3 programs in the country. OU brings a viewership to the table that extends far beyond what you are giving us credit for. That's what the SEC would be judging.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance, with all due respect, what you are missing is not just people in Oklahoma watch OU play football. It wouldn't be a decision based just on the number of TV sets in Oklahoma City and Tulsa. Oklahoma is a national brand. Football fans all over the country (OU and non-OU supporters) like to watch Oklahoma play college football. That is the reason why a low population state like Oklahoma has won a hard earned reputation as one of the top 2-3 programs in the country. OU brings a viewership to the table that extends far beyond what you are giving us credit for. That's what the SEC would be judging.

Yup, I don't buy the argument that OU would have a hard time finding a conference if they really COULD leave the Big12 on their own ( I DONT buy that for a second FTR, they won't be going anywhere until the GOR is up/Big12 contract renewed or the conference dissolves).

BTW if VT brings the DC market at 270 miles and many a cow pasture away then WVU brings DC,Baltimore,Pittsburgh,Columbus, Cincy, parts of NC and the state of WV such as it is....Guess who also was on the doorstep of the SEC east when the SEC took Mizzu for St.Louis/KC? Guess which 2 presidents have been most vocal about expanding?

OU/WVU to the SEC, you heard it here first....:lol:

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sorry, but what you're missing is tv ratings don't matter as much as you think. Their is a reason the big ten took Rutgers and Maryland. The big ten and SEC get paid per tv subscriber in the state they have a team in for their networks. So in order to make it worth it, both conferences want to add teams that have a ton of population in the state. Maryland doesn't bring ratings, but it brings a highly populated state. The pac 12 might go for OU since they're just trying to get their network off the ground, but OU would be taking a pay cut.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but what you're missing is tv ratings don't matter as much as you think. Their is a reason the big ten took Rutgers and Maryland. The big ten and SEC get paid per tv subscriber in the state they have a team in for their networks. So in order to make it worth it, both conferences want to add teams that have a ton of population in the state. Maryland doesn't bring ratings, but it brings a highly populated state. The pac 12 might go for OU since they're just trying to get their network off the ground, but OU would be taking a pay cut.

I totally agree OU would be taking a pay cut on the athletic side of the equation....... at least in the short term. But that isn't the main consideration. Oklahoma has to find a way to break out of the rut it's in on the academic side. Academics are a secondary consideration to some fans but for most OU alums it is the main impetus for making a move. If all we wanted was to win conference championships there is no way we would leave the Big 12. OU does that fairly often already. However, a temporary cut in income is sometimes worth the sacrifice if you are moving up to a better situation overall. Boren is playing the long game here.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree OU would be taking a pay cut on the athletic side of the equation....... at least in the short term. But that isn't the main consideration. Oklahoma has to find a way to break out of the rut it's in on the academic side. Academics are a secondary consideration to some fans but for most OU alums it is the main impetus for making a move. If all we wanted was to win conference championships there is no way we would leave the Big 12. OU does that fairly often already. However, a temporary cut in income is sometimes worth the sacrifice if you are moving up to a better situation overall. Boren is playing the long game here.

If that's the case, like many have said then the Big ten is your only real option. Get that CIC money, but I'm not sure if the Big ten would take a non AAU member.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO that goes back to Dodd's personality more than anything else....even more than the LHN. But, that is just my view from what occurred.

yeah that could be. I have an old friend, who for years always called him 'DeLois'...always made be chuckle, but I never knew if he really though that was his name? or was just making fun.

It was hard, because my friend is such a serious, contemplative type and is about a decade older, I just could never tell and never asked.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's the case, like many have said then the Big ten is your only real option. Get that CIC money, but I'm not sure if the Big ten would take a non AAU member.

No, the B1G isn't the answer. First of all, the AAU hurdle is problematic since we don't have it yet and the B1G thinks that requirement is sacrosanct. Second, we kind of like being a football powerhouse and going to The Great White North would kill us in recruiting Texas talent. And third, the OU fan base shudders at the thought of going there. A better answer (if we make a move) is to the Pac 10 where our academics could improve, we would be given some time to attain AAU status, our sports would flourish with California recruiting and the fans would get to experience some new rivalries. Of course we would do everything to keep the RRSO. It's likely OU would even play a frequent game, other than the RRSO, in Jerry World to augment our recruiting efforts in Texas.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, the B1G isn't the answer. First of all, the AAU hurdle is problematic since we don't have it yet and the B1G thinks that requirement is sacrosanct. Second, we kind of like being a football powerhouse and going to The Great White North would kill us in recruiting Texas talent. And third, the OU fan base shudders at the thought of going there. A better answer (if we make a move) is to the Pac 10 where our academics could improve, we would be given some time to attain AAU status, our sports would flourish with California recruiting and the fans would get to experience some new rivalries. Of course we would do everything to keep the RRSO. It's likely OU would even play a frequent game, other than the RRSO, in Jerry World to augment our recruiting efforts in Texas.

How does going to the PAC improve academics? In the BIG ten you get CIC money, in the pac you just get to say you're in a conference with CAL and Stanford. Please explain, I don't see how it brings in academic dollars.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does going to the PAC improve academics? In the BIG ten you get CIC money, in the pac you just get to say you're in a conference with CAL and Stanford. Please explain, I don't see how it brings in academic dollars.

Good question. Adding 2-4 Nobodies to the Big 12 conference doesn't solve OU's academic problems. The answer is this: if we did make a move to the Pac 10 there would be a completely new mindset at OU. Even the Oklahoma state legislature would sit up and say "damn, we need to improve and if that takes money then we'll just have to find it somehow". Our donor base would get stronger because there are a LOT of OU alums in Pac 10 states that would feel an even deeper affinity for "their school" that was playing the local infidels in football, basketball, etc. Lastly, if you want to grow in anything you always compete with and against those who are better at something than you are. Cal and Stanford are remarkable. But don't forget the status of schools like USC and Washington too. We wouldn't be the best academic school in the conference but we'd certainly have a shot at improving ourselves to reach far beyond where we will likely be if we stay right where we are now. That's not just me saying it. There are a lot of OU alums who are saying the same thing. And everyone agrees we need to keep our presence in Texas with the RRSO.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually because of the current model TV sets in Oklahoma are exactly what they will be looking at because that is where they can charge the premium for the network package. A dye hard fan that would pay any amount to get the network in Michigan just doesn't matter and if he does get it he will pay about 50 cents a month instead of $2.50 a month.

That is just the way it works. The whole state of Texas pays extra for the SEC network not just the aTm fans.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if OU/okie state KU/Kstate go to the pac, the 4 Texas schools could go to the ACC. The 4 ACC pods could look like:
Texas/tech/Baylor/TCU
BC/ND/Pitt/cuse
WV/Duke/L'ville/
Clemson/ga tech/Miami/FSU
Good question. Adding 2-4 Nobodies to the Big 12 conference doesn't solve OU's academic problems. The answer is this: if we did make a move to the Pac 10 there would be a completely new mindset at OU. Even the Oklahoma state legislature would sit up and say "damn, we need to improve and if that takes money then we'll just have to find it somehow". Our donor base would get stronger because there are a LOT of OU alums in Pac 10 states that would feel an even deeper affinity for "their school" that was playing the local infidels in football, basketball, etc. Lastly, if you want to grow in anything you always compete with and against those who are better at something than you are. Cal and Stanford are remarkable. But don't forget the status of schools like USC and Washington too. We wouldn't be the best academic school in the conference but we'd certainly have a shot at improving ourselves to reach far beyond where we will likely be if we stay right where we are now. That's not just me saying it. There are a lot of OU alums who are saying the same thing. And everyone agrees we need to keep our presence in Texas with the RRSO.

So, no the pac 12 doesn't really help unless your donors say "oh man this is cool, lets give more money for academics". I'm curious, has it helped the Arizona schools gain AAU membership? I honestly don't know

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OKLAHOMA fans get so protective.
YOu cannot change the size of your TV market or its location.
The only league that makes any sense is the PAC-12....mostly because they cannot realistically grab ACC schools.

The SEC already controls Dallas-Fort Worth which is at least 30% of the core OU market.
Adding Oklahoma only brings in OKC and Tulsa.

Why in God's name would they pick that over getting into Md/Dc/VA? or getting both Charlotte and Raleigh with all those recruits available. Both with better academics.

OU is not adding academics.
There are no recruits to mine in Oklahoma.
The TV market is tiny.

It would be stupid as hell for the SEC to invite Oklahoma over those ACC teams.
There is a reason shitty programs like Rutgers and Maryland got picked.

Missouri gave you academics and two giant TV markets.
Texas A&M gave you academics and the entire freaking state of Texas.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OKLAHOMA fans get so protective.
YOu cannot change the size of your TV market or its location.
The only league that makes any sense is the PAC-12....mostly because they cannot realistically grab ACC schools.

The SEC already controls Dallas-Fort Worth which is at least 30% of the core OU market.
Adding Oklahoma only brings in OKC and Tulsa.

Why in God's name would they pick that over getting into Md/Dc/VA? or getting both Charlotte and Raleigh with all those recruits available. Both with better academics.

OU is not adding academics.
There are no recruits to mine in Oklahoma.
The TV market is tiny.

It would be stupid as hell for the SEC to invite Oklahoma over those ACC teams.
There is a reason shitty programs like Rutgers and Maryland got picked.

Missouri gave you academics and two giant TV markets.
Texas A&M gave you academics and the entire freaking state of Texas.
All of this is theoretically correct but I do think the SEC would take Oklahoma if they showed interest but they wouldn't take OSU also. However I do not think OU would have any interest in the SEC and the PAC is the only destination that makes true sense.