• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big12 talking with Cincy

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JMO, but I understand why FSU and Clemson remained a part of the ACC. For altruistic reasons… the ACC is a much more prestigious conference from an academic standpoint. The reality of this is easy to understand, there is a ton more money coming into universities from research and grants each year than anything football revenues may bring. As long as the ACC can remain competitive with TV contracts, schools like FSU and Clemson would be foolish to leave for the Big 12 solely for football money.

The ACC currently provides the easiest path to the NC. Just as the BE once offered this to its members, the torch has been passed. Why would any ACC school want to move to a tougher conference and decrease its chance to make the playoffs?

The Big 12 presents one of the most difficult paths for its teams due to the round robin. No unbalanced schedules… no opportunity for one or more of its members to miss playing the best from the other division. No Big 12 team has been able to go through the conference undefeated since round robin play began.

I am not sure if a current P5 school will choose to disapprove funding of student athletes or not. I read all the internet chatter about what schools might choose not to do so, but I personally have trouble believing that would be the choice.
I agree with your first paragraph, the $20-$30 M brought to each school is a drop in the bucket compared to the shared research money brought in by these leagues. The B11 brings in hundreds of millions for each school, the ACC and PAC are up there too. THAT is one of the reasons I do not see the ACC imploding as some feel it will. The triangle park area gives the ACC schools tons of research money, and remember, most schools athletic departments are not self sustaining like ours is, they share in the general budget.
In its current form, as witnessed by this year, the B12 will have to rely on the favorite losing in the other leagues CCGs, in order to get there. I do not think the football is harder in the B12, but the path is harder due to the round robin. I actually think the B11 has an easier path to the "playoff" their divisions are even more lopsided than the SEC, OSU, UM, PSU, MSU all on the East side, Wiscy and Nebraska on the West.....

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC is the weakest conference among the Power 5. There is not a great divided between it and the B1G, but currently Mich St provides a much stiffer challenge to tOSU than any team from the ACC does for FSU.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC is the weakest conference among the Power 5. There is not a great divided between it and the B1G, but currently Mich St provides a much stiffer challenge to tOSU than any team from the ACC does for FSU.

I agree 1000%....

It is amazing really that if a Program like BC is making significantly more money than they did in the BE why haven't they upgraded any of the infrastructure?.......

The same can be said about PITT and Miami...two teams that pay rent for their primary football facility...and pocket the rest!!...must be nice........

Yet they can't seem to pay coaches to stay...or provide a more than competitive wage to the Asst. Coaches..........

And all this money coming in and not a single program shows potential of being on the rise..the only one that has shown improvement is .....Duke just by winning 5 games a year is light years from where they were...and those programs that were brought in to provide strength..ie VT and Miami...are in complete reverese!

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 1000%....

It is amazing really that if a Program like BC is making significantly more money than they did in the BE why haven't they upgraded any of the infrastructure?.......

The same can be said about PITT and Miami...two teams that pay rent for their primary football facility...and pocket the rest!!...must be nice........

Yet they can't seem to pay coaches to stay...or provide a more than competitive wage to the Asst. Coaches..........

And all this money coming in and not a single program shows potential of being on the rise..the only one that has shown improvement is .....Duke just by winning 5 games a year is light years from where they were...and those programs that were brought in to provide strength..ie VT and Miami...are in complete reverese!

That's my take on the ACC as well. What will those teams be in the future as coaches salaries go up, paying players goes up insurance for players ect. ect..? The cost of having a CFB team is going to get even more expensive, at some point someone is going to say enough is enough at one of these schools that don't support their programs like some of the have's do imo.
I mean, you let FSU have a down year or two or for a stretch and that conference looks hideous unless one of the others step up soon.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my take on the ACC as well. What will those teams be in the future as coaches salaries go up, paying players goes up insurance for players ect. ect..? The cost of having a CFB team is going to get even more expensive, at some point someone is going to say enough is enough at one of these schools that don't support their programs like some of the have's do imo.
I mean, you let FSU have a down year or two or for a stretch and that conference looks hideous unless one of the others step up soon.

I think we know the answer to some degree...OSU reported that they are running in the red...now that's a program that also benefits from its own television network...scary...

Could be why the Big12 sees growing the conference as a financial burden and not an increase of revenues...

If you think about it, its easy to see how flawed the business model is...take Oklahoma State..Their Budget is approximately $70 million, they pay their two HC's for their primary revenue sports a combined 4 million dollars.. ..by comparison the CEO for American Airlines makes 5.5 million to run a 4 billion dollar per year business...it just doesn't add up...

I could be wrong , but the television revenue pay outs will have to hit a ceiling at some point...