• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big XII

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So as families do, we had a little discussion after Thanksgiving dinner about college football. I threw out a question about the Big 12 teams in the top 12 currently (OKST, OU, Baylor); are those teams actually good teams and is one really good enough to be in the playoffs? Or are they beneficiaries of easy scheduling for the first 8-9 games playing shitty teams and then the final weeks playing each other after they all have great records so they are ranked really high so the wins look good on paper?

You have OU who lost to Texas but is now in the top 4 because they beat Baylor and TCU who both had their back up QBs in. Baylor's best win before playing OU was West Virginia? Kansas State? TCU's best win before playing OU was Minnesota in the first game? West Virigina? Kansas State?

Then there is OKState who lost to Baylor, beat Texas by 3, beat Kansas State by 2, beat Iowa State by 4. Their best win was TCU which now doesn't look as great.

So how do we know these Big 12 teams are actually any good and deserve a spot in the playoffs?

Just a warning; I am not trying to bash on the Big 12 or any of the teams. Just thought it was an interesting discussion.

compared to whom? We can question pretty much every conference. There are very few inter-conference game that mean anything. Only wins of note are MSU v Oregon and Utah v Michigan

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They definitely need to expand the Playoffs (6-8 teams is what I'd like). And there are way too many god damn bowl games. There is no reason 5-7 teams should be rewarded by going to a bowl.

6-6 teams should not be eligible. Many of the 6-6 teams have losing records vs FBS. Just go to an expanded playoff and get rid of them.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me and my family talked about chickenshit teams that schedule 3 or more cupcakes every season and teams that never play outside of a 600 mile radius of their home. We talked about their pussies and how raw they must get.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So as families do, we had a little discussion after Thanksgiving dinner about college football. I threw out a question about the Big 12 teams in the top 12 currently (OKST, OU, Baylor); are those teams actually good teams and is one really good enough to be in the playoffs? Or are they beneficiaries of easy scheduling for the first 8-9 games playing shitty teams and then the final weeks playing each other after they all have great records so they are ranked really high so the wins look good on paper?

You have OU who lost to Texas but is now in the top 4 because they beat Baylor and TCU who both had their back up QBs in. Baylor's best win before playing OU was West Virginia? Kansas State? TCU's best win before playing OU was Minnesota in the first game? West Virigina? Kansas State?

Then there is OKState who lost to Baylor, beat Texas by 3, beat Kansas State by 2, beat Iowa State by 4. Their best win was TCU which now doesn't look as great.

So how do we know these Big 12 teams are actually any good and deserve a spot in the playoffs?

Just a warning; I am not trying to bash on the Big 12 or any of the teams. Just thought it was an interesting discussion.

It's kind of funny that the OP can't recognize SEC love when it's not SEC teams involved.
Happens every single year to his conference.
But all of a sudden it's Bizzaro World when its somebody else.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and weak ooc scheduling Bama excluded
So they scheduled Wisconsin, they still played 3 cupcakes including an FCS team. Weaker schedule than OU really, who will have 10 FBS teams played at the end of the regular season compared to Bama's 9. And don't give the excuse they have to play a conference championship game. The conferences that don't play 9 conference games are slackers... :D

BoomerNTX

~Boomer FN Sooner~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing one can do with the way college ball is set up is look at commonalities. If one wants to compare the B12 to the SEC this season, they must look at the common factor. OU goes to a hostile environment(Tenn), which sets an all time record for noise, and OU comes out with an OT victory. The elite team in the SEC(Bama) has Tenn come to their stadium, and Bama wins by 5. So is a road win in hostile environment better than a 5 pt home win? Tenn goes to Florida and Florida wins by 1 pt. Once again, is a win in a hositle environment better than a home win by 1 pt? These are the division leaders in the SEC.

The other inter conference matchup that I recall is TT vs Ark. TT is a mid level B12 team, currently 5th out of 10 teams. Tech goes into Fayetteville and beats Ark by 11 on the road. Ark is a mid/lower ranked team in the SEC(9 of 14).

From this limited data, I'm not willing to say that either conference is better than the other. I would say that the B12 can hold its ground against the SEC. Two B12 teams made the trip to hostile SEC country, something the SEC is not willing to do, and came out on top both times.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they scheduled Wisconsin, they still played 3 cupcakes including an FCS team. Weaker schedule than OU really, who will have 10 FBS teams played at the end of the regular season compared to Bama's 9. And don't give the excuse they have to play a conference championship game. The conferences that don't play 9 conference games are slackers... :D
I still have OU at the top.OU will have A very strong SOS come the end of the year. Had that argument with an ND fan that tried telling me ND should be in over OU. Still not sure how he thinks "A win over #16 Navy is the equivalent as a win over #6 Oklamohoma State" i almost made that my sig. the other good one was the guy arguing about 1 loss teams in the BIG not understanding his scenario would equal 2 losses for MSU :L we need you and gobig to help out with the math emergencies we've been experiencing lately :dhd:

Hoopla Cash
$ 385,552.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I read the 1st few comments and then skipped to the post part, so this has probably be posted. I will read all the comments.
I think the B12 isn't any different this season than the rest of the P5. All with a fairly typical cupcake OOC sch., Most with the easier conf. games next, before they get to the meat of their sch. Most teams look better than they probably are because of this. I think the top 2 of this conf. has just as good a chance of playoffs as the rest.

Possible exception is the P12. They are doing what I thought would happen in the SEC, teams beating each other down so no team either looks good or will make the playoffs. Parity would rule. Doesn't mean no team from that conf. couldn't prevail on a nat'l scene, just makes it difficult for one of the teams to get the chance.

This season is playing out far differently than last season, and it will be damned difficult for the CFP to pick teams, as of now. With rivalry week and CCG week to go, this could become as clear as the muddiest mud.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Damn good questions. My answer is "Who knows?" The damned P5s won't play enough OOC games with each other to get a good gauge how good/bad conferences really are. Each team may play one and that leaves three other conference they DIDN'T play!

My personal opinion is there is when conference play starts, teams seem to level out. I also think the tops of each conferences are pretty similar but injuries to key players at certain times make a lot of difference.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing one can do with the way college ball is set up is look at commonalities. If one wants to compare the B12 to the SEC this season, they must look at the common factor. OU goes to a hostile environment(Tenn), which sets an all time record for noise, and OU comes out with an OT victory. The elite team in the SEC(Bama) has Tenn come to their stadium, and Bama wins by 5. So is a road win in hostile environment better than a 5 pt home win? Tenn goes to Florida and Florida wins by 1 pt. Once again, is a win in a hositle environment better than a home win by 1 pt? These are the division leaders in the SEC.

The other inter conference matchup that I recall is TT vs Ark. TT is a mid level B12 team, currently 5th out of 10 teams. Tech goes into Fayetteville and beats Ark by 11 on the road. Ark is a mid/lower ranked team in the SEC(9 of 14).

From this limited data, I'm not willing to say that either conference is better than the other. I would say that the B12 can hold its ground against the SEC. Two B12 teams made the trip to hostile SEC country, something the SEC is not willing to do, and came out on top both times.
God, I'm not defending the SEC, but Tenn and Arkie did go to Norman and Lubbock last year. But, I agree with your point.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WVU beat Georgia southern 44-0

UGA beat them by 7 or so

WVU crushed every ooc team put in front of it this year including the BIG's Maryland yet looks very average in conference....