• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big payday for playing Bama

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the new arguement is we can only have good seasons by playing crap teams in the first game? I guess DH and Ollie should be fired for this? :deadhorse: Always want to look at the negative in any situation....it is the first game...if we lose it does not mean we are going to have a terrible year, just like if we win it does not mean we are going to win the NC!!!

Please how does Nehlans opinion of his teams from the early 90's have anything to do with upcoming season or team? Maybe Nehlan didn't know his team that well, maybe the were not conditioned they way they should have been because everyone thought they would be so good...either way it really don't mean sh$t!!!!

DC… don't you know… a tough loss to Bama could be disaster!

We seen it before… in '94 and '98.

Let's forget that the '94 team was very young and inexperienced. Let's forget that the '98 team failed to live up to its hype. After the disaster of losing to tOSU, that team crushed its next 4 opponents… beating them by 22, 23, 21 and 30 points respectively.

Yeah… that looks like a team that must have been physically and mentally beaten from losing to tOSU. :lol:

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avg Margin of victory that year was 23 pts, all four L's came against ranked opponents...Missouri and Miami were 3 pt tough losses...

1998 Miami team featured some good players Santana Moss, Ed Reed, Dan Morgan, Reggie Wayne, Edjerrin James.

Instead of blaming a loss on Ohio St I think they just got beat by better teams.

Hard to blame a bowl loss on your first opponent of the year.

I didn't read the book so I have no clue what context he said whatever he said....

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He never mentioned the game in his book.

He highlighted the '88 and '93 teams.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be where DAD is getting Nehlen's thoughts on playing tOSU in 1998…

No. 23: Ohio State, 1998 - WVU Athletics

Years later, Nehlen thought it was a mistake opening the season with No. 1-ranked Ohio State. Had the ‘98 team opened with a much lesser opponent and been able to gain some confidence and momentum, he believes it was talented enough to achieve another undefeated regular season as his 1988 and 1993 teams did.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I love Don Nehlen, I don't agree with him here.

Had WVU won that game, no telling how the rest of the season would have unfolded.

A team talented enough to go undefeated, had no business losing to Mizzou in its bowl game. Right coach?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I love Don Nehlen, I don't agree with him here.

Had WVU won that game, no telling how the rest of the season would have unfolded.

A team talented enough to go undefeated, had no business losing to Mizzou in its bowl game. Right coach?

I was in school in 98, this team was good except for the fact they went 1-4 against ranked teams...it was a solid team, but lacked a big time playmaker IMO

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duck fan hoping for a WV vs Oregon home and home down the road.

Always wanted to see these teams play. A lot of parallels through the BCS era.

Plus, would love to tailgate in Morgantown. My kinda people I am thinking.

#DucksvsMoutaineers home and home. Make it happen!

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:
I would be down with that, I have heard that is a great place for a game.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nike would probably come out with some new uni's for an OU vs WVU game… don't you think?

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nike would probably come out with some new uni's for an OU vs WVU game… don't you think?

Absolutely. I live right around the corner from Nike World a headquarters. Wifey works there. So I get some inside peeks at the employee store and campus once in a while. Some of the coolest uni prototypes are WV. They have some that will be on the field this season or next that are mind blowing.

Florida has some sick ones as well coming out.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:
I would be down with that, I have heard that is a great place for a game.

Ya, it is pretty wild. Nearest NFL team is Seattle, 5 hours from Eugene and lil less than 3 hours from Portland. So, we are a loud and passionate bunch.

Knight is making the place visually stunning. The Aut(ZEN) project will be done in a couple years and will be like nothing else out there. A PAC NW old growth forest on the north end of the stadium. So when you walk to the game, you are right outside the stadium and walking through Doug Fir old growth trees, vine maples, Cedar, and running streams.

Crazy. Lotta cash to uproot giant trees and put them by the stadium.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man we need to go back to the Big East or AAC or whatever it is called now. We need not play Bama. To quote Dad, "they are going to hurt our boys" I guess we should back down and except we don't belong with the big boys. Lets play Marshal, Cinci, UConn, ect. they won't beat us up. Plese Luck get them out of this game before they get beat up. I bet we could win the conference championship every year in the AAC. I think the travel would be easier to. Only 2 teams in FL, 1 team in OK instead of 2 1 team in LA. and only 1 team in Texas. Hell with that 2 million a year TV contract we would be saving all sorts of money................... Damn that luck had to put us on this Island that 27 million a year looks like shit now compared to where we could be in the AAC. ...........It is a wonder that OK didn't kill our players, the way they man handled that far superior Alabama team....... Fuck I sound stupid typing this shit.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, it is pretty wild. Nearest NFL team is Seattle, 5 hours from Eugene and lil less than 3 hours from Portland. So, we are a loud and passionate bunch.

Knight is making the place visually stunning. The Aut(ZEN) project will be done in a couple years and will be like nothing else out there. A PAC NW old growth forest on the north end of the stadium. So when you walk to the game, you are right outside the stadium and walking through Doug Fir old growth trees, vine maples, Cedar, and running streams.

Wow that sounds awesome...

Now if I can just hit it big and build a new WVU stadium nicknamed "The Shaft" honoring on mining brethen i will be set.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't let DAD read that.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Don Nehlen's Tales from the West Virginia Sideline…

A chapter titled DISAPPOINTMENTS, has a section… THE BOWLS… pg 70

The 1994 squad was a very average football team--it was a miracle that we were even bowl eligible. We started the season with a loss to Nebraska in the Kickoff Classic. We were 1-4 by the end of September when our young guys finally started to catch on. We monkeyed around with Eric Boykin and Chad Johnston at quarterback before we finally decided on Chad' that helped settle the team. we were 7-5 at the end of the regular season and were scheduled top play South Carolina in the Carquest Bowl

I still think that we should have won that game…

Looks like Coach Nehlen remembers things a little differently than DAD…

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like!

both cut from the same cloth imo from a recruiting standpoint both have to go out of state a lot to the crazy home fans. We need a big time backer like Nike but hey, who don't L?
I very much enjoyed watching the black mamba play for the Ducks and Id love to see him end up with the Rams along side Tavon and Stedman :hope:, that would be freggin sick..

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nebraska beat the :censored: out of our team that year, I remember people talking about how they didn't just beat us in one game, they beat us in 3-4 games because players were so beat up for weeks after. However, as I remember, all lived.....:yahoo:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:wtf2: Is your reading comprehension REALLY that poor, My post::

Looks like BB has forgotten what Nehlen said was one of his better teams going into the season, a team that he said would have competed for the "title", yet finished 8-4, because they started out playing OSU and taking a physical thumpin. By the way, when did 7-6 become a good season, I thought 9-4 was pure failure.

See anything about Nebraska there???