• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big payday for playing Bama

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate Obama's policies and where he is trying to lead our nation, does that make me unAmerican?
No different than saying that you're not a true Mountaineer fan if you are more excited playing Kansas & Iowa St than playing Pitt.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No different than saying that you're not a true Mountaineer fan if you are more excited playing Kansas & Iowa St than playing Pitt.

No, saying one is not a WVU fan because he dislikes Luck and Holgorsen is like my statement, your statement is more along the line of saying someone is un American because they dislike the EPA and OSHA. AND yes I would MUCH rather play sPitt than IAST and Kansas.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate Obama's policies and where he is trying to lead our nation, does that make me unAmerican?

Is Dana the head coach of WVU football? Do you hope that WVU has success on the football field?

Your comment is not analogous.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, I love Coach Nehlen, and I guess I could ask him about his comments regarding the 1998 team. Personally, I don't understand his logic. He talks about what a great win his 1982 team enjoyed on the road in Norman when they knocked off OU, and attributed that win to placing WVU's name and recognition on the national stage.

But, he feels in 1998 the team needed to open with some pansies to get their confidence built? The '98 team was loaded with talent…. they proved it by dominating inferior opponents. Yet, this wasn't even good enough for them to beat a ranked team all year.

Injuries occur no matter the opponent. Would you want to face a superior opponent later in the year when kids are already beat up? Or at the start of the year when most kids are as healthy as they will be the entire season?

Last year, WVU lost a couple of kids for the year playing William and Mary in the first game.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the build up to the stronger teams. The BE did a good job for several years when WVU, UL, Rutgers, and USF all had good teams of having those games all toward the last of the season. By the second half of the season, the younger players have hopefully got in some game time against those inferior opponents and are capable back ups by the time the better teams come around. I also like how the SEC teams save one of their ooc games for a home breather in the middle of the conference games. Young kids gain confidence by winning, and a lopsided loss at the beginning of the year can wreck that confidence, just as a big win can boost the teams moral.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, I love Coach Nehlen, and I guess I could ask him about his comments regarding the 1998 team. Personally, I don't understand his logic. He talks about what a great win his 1982 team enjoyed on the road in Norman when they knocked off OU, and attributed that win to placing WVU's name and recognition on the national stage.

But, he feels in 1998 the team needed to open with some pansies to get their confidence built? The '98 team was loaded with talent…. they proved it by dominating inferior opponents. Yet, this wasn't even good enough for them to beat a ranked team all year.

Injuries occur no matter the opponent. Would you want to face a superior opponent later in the year when kids are already beat up? Or at the start of the year when most kids are as healthy as they will be the entire season?

Last year, WVU lost a couple of kids for the year playing William and Mary in the first game.

I may be out to lunch, but I think in 1982 no one ANYWHERE expected WVU to do anything against anyone outside the patsies, and Nehlen, speaking in hindsight, said that that win was great for the program for years to come, there was no hype, no media, no expectations. 1998, WVU and OSU started the season highly ranked, the first game of the season, at home with a LOT of media, a ton of hype, and #1 coming to Morgantown. I think he was meaning the hype as much as the fact that they were playing a team that was physically stronger, and used to the hype.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the build up to the stronger teams. The BE did a good job for several years when WVU, UL, Rutgers, and USF all had good teams of having those games all toward the last of the season. By the second half of the season, the younger players have hopefully got in some game time against those inferior opponents and are capable back ups by the time the better teams come around. I also like how the SEC teams save one of their ooc games for a home breather in the middle of the conference games. Young kids gain confidence by winning, and a lopsided loss at the beginning of the year can wreck that confidence, just as a big win can boost the teams moral.

When dealing with a young, inexperienced team like that from the 1994 season, I agree with you. A tough loss could hurt one's confidence, and take some time to recover. It did not affect them though, as their team regrouped and had a successful year.

The 1998 team was a veteran team. That is why it received so much hype, and why so much was expected from them.

There is absolutely no way one can predict how any loss may affect the team's psyche. A huge loss can also get a kid's attention, make them work harder, study more film, buy-in to the program.

Following WVU's embarrassing loss to Maryland last season, the team played one of its best games the next weekend… using their 3rd different starting QB in 5 games.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When dealing with a young, inexperienced team like that from the 1994 season, I agree with you. A tough loss could hurt one's confidence, and take some time to recover. It did not affect them though, as their team regrouped and had a successful year.

The 1998 team was a veteran team. That is why it received so much hype, and why so much was expected from them.

There is absolutely no way one can predict how any loss may affect the team's psyche. A huge loss can also get a kid's attention, make them work harder, study more film, buy-in to the program.

Following WVU's embarrassing loss to Maryland last season, the team played one of its best games the next weekend… using their 3rd different starting QB in 5 games.

You are right, you never know what a young guys reaction will be, I think it was 1996 when Miami beat us on the blocked punt, and the team gave up on the season, I went to the 'Cuse game that year, and it was ALMOST comical watching as they blocked several punts, then 2007, the horrible loss to sPitt, Fraud bolts, and they manhandle OU. A respectable showing against 'Bama could mean good things for the year, a terrible loss like we have seen too many of the past few years could mean another losing season, especially if there are some key injuries.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well... if Dana is to be believd, this past year's team had great resiliency. Except for the Texas loss, the team was able to focus and practice well in preparation for its next opponent following a disappointing outcome. WVU will be huge underdogs for the Bama game, and one cannot predict injuries.

Personally, I am excited to see WVU go up against Bama. Bama has a ton of returning starters back on both sides of the ball. But, they have struggled against uptempo. Hopefully WVU will have a QB capable of going uptempo this fall to take advantage.