• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Championship Game

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the Big 12's (perhaps unwisely) adding a conference title game

So the Big 12 is going to have a Conference Championship game between teams that have already played a head to head match up.

They are using the argument that it will give another "data point" for the Big 12 Champ to get into the CFB Playoff.

How does that work? If Team #1 has already beaten Team #2, how is beating them again going to impress the committee? What happens when Team #2 upsets Team #1? IMO the risk vs. reward doesn't work out to well.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So the Big 12 is going to have a Conference Championship game between teams that have already played a head to head match up.

They are using the argument that it will give another "data point" for the Big 12 Champ to get into the CFB Playoff.

How does that work? If Team #1 has already beaten Team #2, how is beating them again going to impress the committee? What happens when Team #2 upsets Team #1? IMO the risk vs. reward doesn't work out to well.

You realize a rematch can happen in every conference right? I do agree that this isn't a great idea, but so many voters love that 13th game.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize a rematch can happen in every conference right? I do agree that this isn't a great idea, but so many voters love that 13th game.

I do realize rematches are possible in every conference. It's just going to be guaranteed in the Big 12.

Supposed Texas runs the table and has to play OU again in the CCG and loses. How are the committee members going to look at a team losing to a team it had already beat?

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait for it to be back to back games.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just see this as being more style that substance. The Big 12 can now say they have a CCG even though it doesn't really serve a purpose. The two teams will have already played head to head. There really doesn't seam to be any gain from beating a team twice, but there is potential for a big loss. What does the conference gain, other than being able to claim they have a Championship Game? Well that and the money the game will make?

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do realize rematches are possible in every conference. It's just going to be guaranteed in the Big 12.

Supposed Texas runs the table and has to play OU again in the CCG and loses. How are the committee members going to look at a team losing to a team it had already beat?

I guess the same way they'll look at it if Tenn beats bama in the rematch. I'm sure the winner of the title game gets looked at more favorably.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the same way they'll look at it if Tenn beats bama in the rematch. I'm sure the winner of the title game gets looked at more favorably.

True. However, Tenn and Bama play different schedules. That rematch is possible this year, but not every year. The Big 12 is setting themselves up for this potential every year.

Also, I haven't seen the tie breakers, but what happens when you have 3 teams with 1 loss, and the losses are all between the 3? Who was it that got screwed out of the CCG a few years back in the Big 12 when the tie breakers was BCS ranking. I want to say it was between Texas, TT, and OU (may have been OSU).

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Supposed Texas runs the table
and has to play OU again in the CCG and loses. How are the committee members going to look at a team losing to a team it had already beat?
tumblr_mdef7nimHG1r3i5of.gif

:pound:

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does the conference gain, other than being able to claim they have a Championship Game? Well that and the money the game will make?

Str8 money grab. That is ALL.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. However, Tenn and Bama play different schedules. That rematch is possible this year, but not every year. The Big 12 is setting themselves up for this potential every year.

Also, I haven't seen the tie breakers, but what happens when you have 3 teams with 1 loss, and the losses are all between the 3? Who was it that got screwed out of the CCG a few years back in the Big 12 when the tie breakers was BCS ranking. I want to say it was between Texas, TT, and OU (may have been OSU).

I agree that its dumb, but the voters have spoken. They kept referencing the 13th game, so now the big 12 thinks they need it. If Oklahoma plays a Big 12 title game last season the big 12 ends up with zero teams in the playoffs.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's basically the equivalent of the "prove it" shot in Horse.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know. It was a Texas fan I was responding to. However, what happened last year in the RRS (or whatever y'all are calling it these days)? :scratch:

Would you have preferred a scenario where OU won the regular season and lost in the CCG to Texas? At least in the one I originally proposed, you guise got the last laugh?

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just keep it like it is and have everyone add a cupcake game. Works for that one conference? :noidea:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Its a terrible idea, but its one every conference lives with. Wait until Bama has to play the SEC east champ. There is absolutely no reason for that game to take place this year or last year or the year before that

rsw626

Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, since they are permanent cross division rivals, it can happen every year, not likely, but possible.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it ain't happening this year, but if it was, it probably wouldn't even matter. I doubt there's going to be any undefeateds left at the end of the Regular.

We might end up with a two-loss Oklahoma school as the conference champ.