• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best College Football Coaches of the last 10 years

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say

1. Nick Saban
2. Urban Meyer
3. Pete Carroll
4. Bob Stoops
5. Chris Peterson
6. Chip Kelly
7. Jim Tressel
8. Gary Patterson
9. Les Miles
10. Bret Bielema

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dayum! I can't believe that no one has mentioned the guy that made a football powerhouse out of a school whose best sport was Cornhole. Have you people not noticed what Steve Spurrier has done in South Carolina? Fuck Meyer. He was just in the right place at the right time. Let's see him build a major program from the ground up.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? We're not talking about most ethical coaches, we're talking about the best. Tressel's achievements on the field more than put him in the top 5.

Best succeed without putting their universities at risk. If you velieve differently than fine, but I have a different view of the world

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dayum! I can't believe that no one has mentioned the guy that made a football powerhouse out of a school whose best sport was Cornhole. Have you people not noticed what Steve Spurrier has done in South Carolina? Fuck Meyer. He was just in the right place at the right time. Let's see him build a major program from the ground up.

Ground Up?

Did you forget he took over for Lou Holtz who was actually the one who put them on the map.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is just TEXAS hatred to remove Mack Brown from a list that goes back 10 years.

If you are judging from 2004-present

That would include:
a national title
a national title runner up
3 BCS bowl wins
and maybe 8 bowl wins out of 9 tries if Mack wins again

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best succeed without putting their universities at risk. If you velieve differently than fine, but I have a different view of the world

He would've succeeded mightily either way. Here's what would've happened if he played it 100% compliant -

The players are reported and miss the start of the 2009 season for 3 games, where we would've still gone 2-1. We still would've won the B1G, still went to the Rose Bowl, and still beaten Oregon. The following year would've also gone the same, with all of the players playing. His successes at OSU were very well-documented and numerous, that can't be argued. He has a national title and 5 BCS wins. He was unquestionably more achived that Stoops. Besides, don't act like Oklahoma never has had discipline issues under Stoops.

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

South Carolina is as much of a powerhouse as Texas Tech

and Meyer did pretty well at Utah...

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is just TEXAS hatred to remove Mack Brown from a list that goes back 10 years.

If you are judging from 2004-present

That would include:
a national title
a national title runner up
3 BCS bowl wins
and maybe 8 bowl wins out of 9 tries if Mack wins again

If Mack is thar, Tressel is ahead of him.

In his 10 seasons:

8 10+ win seasons
1 national title
2 national title runner-ups
5 BCS bowl wins
7 times winning the B1G or tied for lead

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tressel unquestionably belongs over Stoops. The guy has 1 BCS win in the last decade and it's over arguably the worst team to ever play in a BCS game. He is remarkably overrated.

My bad, totally forgot about Tressel. I would put Tressel and Stoops at 3A and 3B.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mack is thar, Tressel is ahead of him.

In his 10 seasons:

8 10+ win seasons
1 national title
2 national title runner-ups
5 BCS bowl wins
7 times winning the B1G or tied for lead

I thought somebody mentioned 2004-present. If so, Tressel has not won NC in that timeframe. Just saying, not being a smartass.....

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Nick Saban - Agreed....
2. Urban Meyer - Yeah, he was given stacked programs, but he coached them right. Can't argue here.
3. Pete Carroll - Last 10 years? Left USC in 09' it's 13'. Good College Coach, even though caught cheating and ditched his program.
4. Jim Tressel - Left his program a couple of years ago. BCS era, a good argument for one of the great coaches.
5. Les Miles -Really Les Miles...are you sure about that?

IMO....Past 10 years with current coaches. I guess I think of longevity. Coach's that have had a large influence on their school and their university would be devastated if their coach left. Other than Urban Meyer who has had success jumping programs while taking a year off.

1) Nick Saban
2) Urban Meyer
3) Bob Stoops
4) Bill Snyder
5) Mack Brown/Steve Spurrier

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say

1. Nick Saban
2. Urban Meyer
3. Pete Carroll
4. Bob Stoops
5. Chris Peterson
6. Chip Kelly
7. Jim Tressel
8. Gary Patterson
9. Les Miles
10. Bret Bielema

This is so stupid. During this timeframe, 6 of the coaches listed have less wins than Mack Brown and have not won a NC. Mack has won a NC and played for another one and went 3-1 in BCS bowl games, while winning the Big 12 title twice. Bret Bielema, are you fucking kidding me :L

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is so stupid. During this timeframe, 6 of the coaches listed have less wins than Mack Brown and have not won a NC. Mack has won a NC and played for another one and went 3-1 in BCS bowl games, while winning the Big 12 title twice. Bret Bielema, are you fucking kidding me :L

Wow, I didn't even notice that. He is a horrible coach. Jesus, jerms. Get yer head outta yer ass.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously not as accomplished as the guys on that list, but it seems to me that Kevin Sumlin has been pretty remarkable. Making TAMU competitive in its first years in the SEC was no small task. He also did a very good job at Houston before taking the A&M job.

"Making TAMU competitve in first years." I did a quick calculation, so I may be off, but haven't they lost 4 conference games out of 13 when looking at 2012 and so far in 2013? That's losing 31% of your conference games. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, but the jury is still out.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Making TAMU competitve in first years." I did a quick calculation, so I may be off, but haven't they lost 4 conference games out of 13 when looking at 2012 and so far in 2013? That's losing 31% of your conference games. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, but the jury is still out.

I interpreted the thread differently than did those who are simply emphasizing BCS Bowl wins as the criteria for measuring the best HCs of the past ten years. Again, that's why I qualified my post by pointing out that Sumlin "obviously hasn't accomplished as much" as the coaches listed in the OP.

I think that how much a coach improves the teams that he coaches is a legitimate measure of performance. I did not expect A&M to be at all competitive in the SEC, since it wasn't even among the top Big 12 teams prior to switching conferences. Sumlin also did a lot to improve UH before he took the A&M job.

You are absolutely right, though, that "the jury is still out".

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I interpreted the thread differently than did those who are simply emphasizing BCS Bowl wins as the criteria for measuring the best HCs of the past ten years. Again, that's why I qualified my post by pointing out that Sumlin "obviously hasn't accomplished as much" as the coaches listed in the OP.

I think that how much a coach improves the teams that he coaches is a legitimate measure of performance. I did not expect A&M to be at all competitive in the SEC, since it wasn't even among the top Big 12 teams prior to switching conferences. Sumlin also did a lot to improve UH before he took the A&M job.

You are absolutely right, though, that "the jury is still out".

To be fair, and don't take this personally A&M homers, you guys have the one upset vs. Bama and that's it. Otherwise, your best victory in the SEC is over Ole Miss. If not for that upset, people would be talking about Johnny Manziel playing for a middle of the road team. I'll give some credit for blowing out Oklahoma, but getting spanked in bowl games is kind of becoming their MO. Sumlin is a good coach and they've definitely improved since coming to the SEC, but not as much as people seem to think IMO.