• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Basketball ACC Play Week 1: @WF (1/7 noon), FSU (1/10 7pm), @BC (1/14 3pm)

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've calmed down a little bit. We played better in the 2nd half than the 1st, but that's not saying much considering how utterly dreadful we were in the 1st half. 2nd half was pretty much all Eric Green, although Eddie and DFS got some good looks with some good moves the basket a few times. We played poorly and still could have won the game had we bothered to run any semblance of a play with our final possession. With 17 seconds left, surely Greenberg can get something better than Green going Iso into the line and shooting a contested jumper.

Oh, who am I kidding. No he can't. We're blowing winnable games and we haven't even reached the toughest part of our schedule. Mr. Weaver, I suggest you start typing up a coaching candidate's wish list.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so through the first 2 games of ACC, i must say....we looking fucking terrible.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
129156051954645220.jpg

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
In defense of SG, he's set this program up for a brighter future than any coach we've had in my lifetime, possibly forever if we make the right moves as a program. The media attention, facilities upgrade, and build up with the students has been remarkable. I was there in the BE days- it's a different world now. The program has an upward momentum, despite our set backs.

With that said, it is indeed true that SG's skill set is better suited for what we have done, rather than what we want to do in the future. That of course is only my opinion. I want to see him exceed our largest expectations here, but I'm not sure it's going to work out that way. With our programs situation relative to others in the conference, a serious change might be worth the risk to climb the ACC quickly, but it must be done correctly. If a change is to be made, it needs to work for the best for all parties.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Greenberg needs to step up his game.

VT can't make the dance losing winnable games in a down year for the ACC. I really don't want to hear Greenberg crying if VT doesn't make it in for the what, 5th year in a row? He's got great recruits. He needs to win some games.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In defense of SG, he's set this program up for a brighter future than any coach we've had in my lifetime, possibly forever if we make the right moves as a program. The media attention, facilities upgrade, and build up with the students has been remarkable. I was there in the BE days- it's a different world now. The program has an upward momentum, despite our set backs.

With that said, it is indeed true that SG's skill set is better suited for what we have done, rather than what we want to do in the future. That of course is only my opinion. I want to see him exceed our largest expectations here, but I'm not sure it's going to work out that way. With our programs situation relative to others in the conference, a serious change might be worth the risk to climb the ACC quickly, but it must be done correctly. If a change is to be made, it needs to work for the best for all parties.

i absolutely agree. greenberg has done a FANTASTIC job getting the program to where it is now, but i dont see him getting us any further than a bubble team year in and year out. he has made the program respectable which is impressive, but we have been treading water ever since dowdell and his group graduated. its a travesty that with all the talent we had with delany and allen's class that we didnt make a tournament. again, greenberg has done very well to get us where we are now, but i think its time for us to head in another direction if we truly want to continue improving our basketball program

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, since the topic has been brought up, if you had your choice of guys that VT could realistically get for the head coaching job, who would you want to see in that spot if Seth was fired?

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take Smart from VCU or Stevens from Butler!

why would stevens leave butler for us? it would be a tremendous step down considering they made it to the final 2 years in a row. smart would be great, but im not sure he would jump ship at vcu for us either.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They might consider leaving given the resources they would have here. I feel like it wouldn't be that hard to sell the state-of-the-art training facility.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take Smart from VCU or Stevens from Butler!

If either were to leave their respective schools - which they have both shied away from, I would think they would have to be for much bigger jobs than VT

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wanted Sean Miller from Xavier, before he went to Arizona. I think it would be tough to pull from there now.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Stevens didn't leave Butler after his huge success there, what makes you think he'd leave them for us now? He's staying put unless a major school threw a ton of money at him (think UConn once Calhoun retires).

I wouldn't take Smart either. IMO, he's a one hit wonder. VCU barely made the tournament last year and just happened to get on a hot streak. They've already lost 2 conference games in CAA so could end up as a bubble team just as they were last year, only this time coming up short.

If I had to make the call. I'd look for coaches within the region. We're very close to talent rich areas in the DMV and in Carolina so it would be nice to have a HC already familiar with recruiting here. So I'd look at (in no order):

Blaine Taylor (ODU). Has made the tourny in recent years and won a couple of CAA titles.

Chris Mack (Xavier). Two tourn appearances last two years. Also a couple of A10 regular season titles. Plus, he use to be an assistant at Wake so he's familiar with the ACC

Chris Mooney(Richmond). Couple of tourny appearances. A10 champ last year.

I'd also probably look into Gary Waters (Cleveland St) though their recent success may just be a flash in the pan.

I'd also consider some long time assistants from major programs from the Big East and ACC (think Chris Collins from Duke) or possibly steal a HC from a major conference that doesn't focus much on basketball (Big 12) or is close to falling apart (Big East).

I'll finish by saying this. If Greenberg doesn't turn it around, it is in the best interest of the program to fire him now. Many ACC schools, including traditional powers like NC State and Wake and Maryland, are rebuilding as well so we won't fall that far behind. Plus, most of our team is still young so they will have time to learn and grow with a new coach. It would set the program back if you fired your coach and graduated a bunch of seniors, then you'd struggle while you waited on recruiting to pick up. Right now we can avoid that.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
blaine taylor is a good coach but he is in the same mold as greenberg. great defenses, not so great offenses.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
We all know, and have opinions on Smart, Moody, and Taylor. He also can assume that Stevens, Marshall, Mack, and other hot name guys would be in the mix, even if Tech won't be their ultimate goals. Although they'd easily be the top two for me, I doubt we pull Stevens or Mack.

Just for fun, throwing some outside-the-box names that a school at our level might gamble on:

Mike Rice - Rutgers HC - Under the radar
Mike Davis - UAB HC - The second chance
Orlando Antigua - Kentucky AC - Unique background
Jim Obrien - former BC and Ohio State HC - The huge risk
Steve Prohm - The surprise unknown (but from VA and suppossedly LOVED by players)

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Greenberg deserves to get a fair chance with his recruiting class. This year his stars are still pretty young. Next year, they need to make the NCAA for sure, and do well there.

I think there is plenty of room for improvement this year, and I'd like to see some more positive movement. The two ACC losses were both very close, and might serve to help Greenberg improve the team.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greenberg deserves to get a fair chance with his recruiting class. This year his stars are still pretty young. Next year, they need to make the NCAA for sure, and do well there.

I think there is plenty of room for improvement this year, and I'd like to see some more positive movement. The two ACC losses were both very close, and might serve to help Greenberg improve the team.

He gets to the end of the season in my book. This year's recruits are no different from Delaney's class and he blundered away countless games with them. He's had enough time at the program. What's this, his 9th season? After year 3, everything has pretty much stalled. All the same problems persist and going off the games I've seen this year, are still there. If he can't turn it around by season's end, I would fire him (my guess is Weaver won't).

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when is greenberg's contract up?

I did a lazy google search (just skimmed headlines), and he signed a 2 year extension in 2010 to the 4 years he had remaining. If that's correct, he's locked up to 2016.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Greenberg gets all of next season and if he doesn't make the tournament he's out. I didn't expect much out of the team this year. Too many freshman. I can't blame Greenberg for Hudson's lackluster season either, but the overall poor offense is his fault. I don't think he will get fired this season no matter what, because he is working with a lot of freshman and he will be given the benefit of the doubt by Weaver for taking this program from nothing to... something.

All of the freshman look promising and you see the most improvement in the sophomore year. If he doesn't produce a NCAA tournament bid next season I think he's out.