• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Basketball ACC Play Week 1: @WF (1/7 noon), FSU (1/10 7pm), @BC (1/14 3pm)

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Davila is on track today scoring wise. Any idea how long Green will be out with a knee sprain?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With no Green to bail us out hitting an outside shot, it's even more apparent just how bad our offensive sets are. There were times where the first option wasn't there and all 5 guys just stood around looking confused.

Fortunately, Greenberg noticed that Davila isn't that bad of a player when you actually get him the ball in a position where he can do something with it (the post...you know, cuz it makes sense to post up a post player). Davila has played well and since getting him going, they're attacking the basket more off the pick and the pick setter (Raines or Davila) are actually rolling to the basket and getting some looks. For the love of all things Hokies, I hope they continue this. Play inside out. Good things come when you attack the basket. Fouls, offensive putbacks, etc ,etc. Just stop taking outside shots. I don't want to see any more plays run where they 5 man is catching the ball the 3 point line all by himself.

We should still win this game without Green. Hopefully we will

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hokies basketball is tough to watch right now. Have DFS and Brown hit a wall or what? Rankin can't shoot worth shit.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wildturkey, I retract my freshman argument. Seeing that BC is using more freshman than VT it clearly holds no weight.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait. The Hokies just lost a close game they should have won?? Say it ain't so!

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wildturkey, I retract my freshman argument. Seeing that BC is using more freshman than VT it clearly holds no weight.

Lol. It's all good.

So yeah, that game. I'm seriously struggling at coming up with new things to say. I feel like if you take all VT's games over the last 4 years and just have an automated post that says "Damn it. Why can't we run a functional offense, why does X keep jacking up bad shots, why do we look so lost" after every game, then it would actually sum things up well 95% of the time.

BC stinks. Even without Green, we should have won. For the third game in a row, we've played very poorly yet had a chance to win. This time we got back to within 5 (maybe 6) with about 2 mins left yet we took some awful rushed shots down the stretch. Wasted opportunities. I think I said that here for another game. That's VT Basketball's motto.

Why don't we run plays for people to put them in spots to succeed? The announcer said today that Eddie is shooting 89% from the FT line. I was stunned by this and looked it up. It's true. But do you ever see any thing drawn up for him to attack the basket to draw fouls? Nope. I know we have plays like this. That's all Delaney did his last 2 years. He's also shooting 52% from 3. Combine those two stats. You know what? He's a perfect candidate for pick and rolls and pick and pops. He can draw fouls when he rolls or hit shots on the pop. Yet I NEVER see him in this situation. He's usually on the perimeter and only gets to shoot whenever there's a defensive lapse.

Same goes for Davila. Despite his clumsiness, he actually has a good percentage when he gets the ball where he's comfortable. Problem is, he only gets the ball there about 5 times a game. Most of the time, he's setting a pick (without rolling) or receiving the ball at the 3 point line. His defender just stays in the paint knowing he can't shoot it out there. Poor offensive design. Both he and Raines have some decent post moves. Get them the ball where they can do something with it. We did that some today and we had some success. Problem was, we didn't do it enough and sometimes, the guards gave some awful entry passes.

Toss DFS into the Davila/Raines group as well. He's in a funk. Can't hit an outside shot yet that's all we give him. You can visibly see his lost confidence when he misses. You HAVE to get this guy going. He's too good of an athlete to be wasted. We need to draw up plays to get him some easy, short range shots to get his confidence back.

Also, someone please explain to Rankin and Hudson that in transition, it is NOT a good idea to go 1 on 3 or 1 on 4.

BTW, do yourselves a favor and DO NOT look at our next 5 games. You'll just be depressed even more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can say a lot about our offense as bad as it is but our defense has been costing us games. We do not have any good on ball defenders. We might have to switch back to the 2-3 if this continues.