• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Barry Bonds Out After..

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He couldn't convince Marlins hitters to take steroids in the ass.

Hopefully he will be gone from baseball.

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He couldn't convince Marlins hitters to take steroids in the ass.

Hopefully he will be gone from baseball.
Mattingly told the Marlins if they bring Bonds back I'm gone. Mattingly had a little sit down with Barroid in the summer and told him to get his lazy ass to work, Bonds didn't listen. This was his one chance and he won't get another one , nor should he.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not his fault Stanton got hurt and their offense went to shiat

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Marlins were fourth in the league in batting average at .263, but that didn't translate into runs -- Miami was 27th with 655.

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not his fault Stanton got hurt and their offense went to shiat
this has nothing to do with anyone getting hurt. If you've read anything about this you would know this is about Bonds and his refusal to get off his lazy ass and work. Bonds looked at this as "I'm Barry Bonds and I do wtf I want when I want if I want". Those days are long over for him and he just got reminded. The good news is we won't see that asshole working in the game again. He just reminded everyone why he's hated and has made it easy for everyone to ignore him.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or, you know, Bonds' hitting instruction may have contradicted what Mattingly wants his hitters to do at the plate. This is one of the most patient hitters of all-time (Bonds) versus a very aggressive hitter (Mattingly).

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, it could be Bonds just knowing that the hitting coach is a joke, and he treated the position as such.

NY7

Kill HIllary
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, it could be Bonds just knowing that the hitting coach is a joke, and he treated the position as such.
Kind of agree with this statement, kind of don't. Hitters should already know how to hit when they get the show. Certainly Barry's job isn't teaching guys how to hit. But fixing swings and coaching adjustments are what hitting coaches are supposed to do. Minor adjustments saw Jose Bautista's career sky-rocket. In Boston, Chili Davis has Mookie hitting 30+ homeruns and JBJ's shortened swing has made all the difference in his career.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elite players almost are never successful in coaching. Doesn't really matter the sport. There's a reason utility guys and half time catchers end up managing. Elite guys rarely have the patience to deal with players who aren't capable of doing what they did.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this has nothing to do with anyone getting hurt. If you've read anything about this you would know this is about Bonds and his refusal to get off his lazy ass and work. Bonds looked at this as "I'm Barry Bonds and I do wtf I want when I want if I want". Those days are long over for him and he just got reminded. The good news is we won't see that asshole working in the game again. He just reminded everyone why he's hated and has made it easy for everyone to ignore him.

oh i know. Just saying he can't be blamed for Stanton

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elite players almost are never successful in coaching. Doesn't really matter the sport. There's a reason utility guys and half time catchers end up managing. Elite guys rarely have the patience to deal with players who aren't capable of doing what they did.
you're half right in that the real good athletes rarely make good coaches. We have tons of evidence of this in every sport we watch. The reason why isn't patience , has nothing to do with it. The great ones find it hard to teach something they never had to work at to be successful. The great ones were born great, they're naturals and the game came much easier to them. They don't understand why everyone else isn't the same, therefore have trouble teaching what should be easy in their eyes.
The guys who had to grind to hang on to a part time job are the ones who get it, I doubt that will ever change.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you're half right in that the real good athletes rarely make good coaches. We have tons of evidence of this in every sport we watch. The reason why isn't patience , has nothing to do with it. The great ones find it hard to teach something they never had to work at to be successful. The great ones were born great, they're naturals and the game came much easier to them. They don't understand why everyone else isn't the same, therefore have trouble teaching what should be easy in their eyes.
The guys who had to grind to hang on to a part time job are the ones who get it, I doubt that will ever change.

That might be part of it, but I think an overlooked reason is that the 'star' players often don't start from the bottom when going to coaching and is thrown in there (without ever learning from other coaches or learning what works and what doesn't, etc). I mean, the great player moving into coaching often doesn't begin in A ball or as an assistant coach somewhere for a few years...they're thrown right into the majors/pros.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of agree with this statement, kind of don't. Hitters should already know how to hit when they get the show. Certainly Barry's job isn't teaching guys how to hit. But fixing swings and coaching adjustments are what hitting coaches are supposed to do. Minor adjustments saw Jose Bautista's career sky-rocket. In Boston, Chili Davis has Mookie hitting 30+ homeruns and JBJ's shortened swing has made all the difference in his career.

Yeah, just look at Justin Turner.

Justin Turner, Marlon Byrd, and an Education in Hitting | FanGraphs Baseball

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's known to be a dick. Not a big surprise there'd be a personality clash eventually.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or, you know, Bonds' hitting instruction may have contradicted what Mattingly wants his hitters to do at the plate. This is one of the most patient hitters of all-time (Bonds) versus a very aggressive hitter (Mattingly).

The roids made the ball seem like it was moving in slomo.

NY7

Kill HIllary
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I read, the more it seems Barry wasn't taking the gig serious. He treated it more like an ambassador role and you know Donnie Baseball didn't appreciate it much.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If he believes that, fine, but it was his only chance to get back in the game and he screwed it up. Why even take the job in the first place if you weren't going to take it seriously?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he was 'special' h/c assistant for the giants in spring training 2014 (maybe 2015, can't remember). several of the players credited him for helping with their approach at the plate. really got belt off to a good start (and then he reverted to his old ways.... :(

no way could bonds keep up a coaching gig for a full season. as a spring training assistant .. maybe. best eye in the game in recent memory and he seemed engaged for a short spring session....