• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Barely Cuddas Vs tropical depression

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
By the way, I think I mentioned a while back that I spoke to doug wilson at a season ticket holders meeting over the summer. i asked him point blank about the hamilton trade and the eventual seemingly low return that Boston got, and he sort of shook his head and say something like "We had conversation and I was pretty surprised at the eventual deal... he is a new GM in boston, so you never know."

basically, it was clear to me that dougie took a stab at landing hamilton at the draft and made a solid offer that was turned down. he obviously was in lots of contact with Sweeney because he eventually got Jones, but I think plan 1A was hamilton and plan B was martin.

Dougie obviously made improving the D and goaltending his #1 offseason priority, landing Jones before july 1 and martin on the first day. Ward came a little last after the D and G were set. He knew the D was a big problem last year and with the martin injury early, I gotta figure dougie knows that D is still a big problem, one injury from blowing up the season. I cant imagine dougie is satisfied with the current D corps, so I gotta figure that if one of the top young dmen in the league like hamilton, vatanen, lindholm, Murray in CLB, or the like became available, then dougie would come calling. I should mention as well that mueller would also clearly be on the table, and dougie has never blinked in making the big move and trading lots of top prospects for who sees as the right guy.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would swap straight up in a millionth of a second. I could not disagree more. I think Dillon has a ceiling of a #5/6 Dman. he is slow, offensively inept, and if he figures out the defensive side, then MAYBE be can be serviceable matching up against opposition 2nd and 3rd lines and maybe a shift or two on the PK.

Hamilton has an upside of a bona fide #1, 50-60 pts, PP captain and 25+ mins per night. Right now, with calgary, he blows. the whole team blows right now. They are playing horribly and along with ANA, they are the biggest downward surprise this whole season thus far. I still fully expect they will make the PO's when they figure it out. No reason monahan should suddenly suck with 1 goal in the first 9 games after 31 last year, frolik scoreless thus far after a 20-20 year last year, Kris russel is pointless and -9 thus far after a 34 pt +18 year last year, etc. Simply put, the talent is there, they just havent figured it out yet. hell, their goaltending has also been embrassingly bad with a team save % of just .873 (28th in the league) and GAA of nearly 4 (also 28th) and they even waived ramo though hiller has been just as bad and ortio sucked today giving up a pretty awful goal again. its bad skaters and bad goalies right now there.
Hamilton was riding a
Dougie hamilton has been a big part of the struggles, but he has shown incredible potential in Boston. he's only just barely 22, so he has lots to improve, but I see him as a likely top pairing Dman playing gigantic minutes a few years down the line. Maybe Calgary will get desperate and will move him. I would be SO happy to flip Dillon, Nieto and a 2nd rounder for hamilton in an instant. I can't see it happening, but if it did, I would jump for joy. In fact, id be willing to flip dillon and just about anyone with a few exception for him. Dillon+(any one of: wingels, nieto, karlsson,Tierney, or maybe even Hertl for him). Or any of the prospects including either meier or roy. Dillon would have to go the other way for $$$ sake (and maybe a guy like torres or brown too) but if doug got hamilton, Id feel amazing about the D right away.

the other thing to consider is that if dougie got hamilton, they wouldnt need to rush him. He could play on the 2nd PP unit, but wouldnt need 25+ mins/night. they could give him 19-20 for a year or two and not match him against opposition top guys and allow him to develop. he is on a 6-year deal, so the sharks could afford to be patient, and then when martin is older, they can drop his mins to 18-20 and have hamilton into the 21-23 minute range as a clear top 4. if he develops well, then within 2-3 years or so, at age 24 or 25, he'd still have 3 years left on the deal at a very reasonable 5.7M per and could be good for 24+ mins and top pairing matchups.

id be nothing short of shocked to see calgary give up on him in year one of his 6 year deal, but if they did, I have no doubt that dougie would be in the conversation.
if he's not riding shot gun with a top tier defensive d man he's a 6 million dollar albatross of a contract. No thanks

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if he's not riding shot gun with a top tier defensive d man he's a 6 million dollar albatross of a contract. No thanks

Poor mans Brian Campbell as of now -- But I really wanted Hammy in the offseason. Very disappointed by him this season.