• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B10 predictions

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK so we are 1 week into December. A relatively decent sample size so give me your updated predictions for how the B10 plays out this year. Ill go...

Top tier

1. Wisconsin- OK Im sold. This team can score when they need to and can still grind it out with the best of them.
2. Michigan State- Hesitant here. I mean aside from 5 minutes of the UK game I really havent been all that impressed but this team has to get it together eventually right??
3. Iowa- A little concerned about the D the last few games but the O has been great and getting Oglesby back should just give us another shooter.
4. OSU- Id have them higher but still sketchy on their O, D is legit and D wins so even a 1st place finish wouldnt shock me.

2nd tier

5. Michigan- I dont like putting UM here at all as they have been a HUGE disappointment but they have talent. If they can figure out the PG position they should be OK but thats a big IF.
6. Minnesota- I like this team. They have some solid returning pieces and the they seem to be getting better unlike some of the other teams in the league.
7. Indiana- Again the Hoosiers have been wholly unimpressive and at times downright bad but the talent is there. Unlike UM the Hoosiers have a PG but they need to figure out how to make a shot further than 6 feet from the basket.
8. Nebraska- BIGGEST jumper in my ranking from my initial thoughts. This team is actually pretty damn alright. Could see them making a tourney run if things fall right and UM and IU cant get their shit together
9. PSU- The next 3 teams are all pretty much a tossup IMO. Nothing special about any of them so Ill go with the best player off of any of those teams, Tim Frazier, and take PSU.
10. Illinois- Read above and substitute Rayvonte Ricce for why Illini are ahead of Purdue.
11. Purdue- Eh, not much to say. They arent bad just not good.

3rd tier

12. NW- Only team in the B10 I cant see making a move. Not much size, not much quickness. Theyll beat someone they shouldnt but cant see them winning more than 2 or 3 B10 games

phantomfoul88

"Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UM is a huge disappointment thus far. UM lacks leadership, GRIII is useless, how this guy this guy thinks he's gonna make it at the next level is beyond me. Zak Irvin...where are you? Oh on the bench. I know its early but I'm not real happy with this team right now.

MSU has been unimpressive also, seems like a lack luster effort and your right despite a few good minutes in the UK game they haven't looked all that great either.

The rest of your analysis is good

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think here's how we see it finish -

1a & 1b - Wisconsin and Ohio State: Both are really good teams. I'm disappointed we don't get them at home and only travel to Madison this season, where I think we'll lose. Both teams are very good defensively, especially at the PG position, and both could definitely make a run to the FF. Jackson needs to be a more consistent shooter at Wisconsin, and LQ Ross needs to build on the momentum from the last game and get his season started. I think these are the two teams we'll see in the B1G Tourney finale.

3. Michigan State - still a really good team. UNC is talented so an upset wasn't surprising, and this may be just what Sparty needed to get out of their fog. In the end, they are gonna only lose maybe 2-3 conference games IMO.

4. Iowa - Love this team. So much experience and a solid coach. They are doing it all on the offensive side, ranking in the top 7 nationally (!!!!) in points, rebounds and assists, which is unreal. This is going to be a very difficult team for anyone to beat, and I don't just mean in the B1G.

5. Minnesota - the Arkansas loss was surprising, but I think they'll bounce back. They have something good going up there right now.

6. Indiana - Talented but really missing Oladipo. They can rebound with the best of them, but clearly showed the disparity of experience in games vs. UConn (really should've won this one) and Syracuse.

7. Michigan - The wheels are officially coming off in AA. This team clearly isn't the same without Burke. Glen Rice is not the leader they envisioned, and McGary simply isn't getting it done at the offensive end, which may cost him dearly in the draft. Stauskas has looked great...until Duke. WTF was that?? Belein needs to rein in this mess before it is too far gone.

8-12 - Line them up however you want, I don't think any of them are going to the big dance.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that 1-4 could go either way. It is gonna be another competitive year in the B1G.

Toucanbird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, mine would be...

1. Ohio State - I just think they have the athletes and senior leadership to get the job done. LaQuinton Ross (who has yet to show up), Aaron Craft, and Sam Thompson are simply studs, in their own way, shape, or form. Still, the one thing that I have in the back of my mind is that they haven't played anyone. I guess they have one quality opponent in Marquette. They've got a ton of players who can score, including Lenzalle Smith Jr., Amir Williams, and Shannon Scott. They aren't dynamic on offense, but they are balanced and they play some pretty tough D. Again, perhaps the product of not playing very high quality opponents so far, but I guess we'll see.

2. Wisconsin - I really don't like propping my Badgers up on a pedestal, but this team is REAL good. I never would have imagined they'd be 9-0 at this point, especially with games @ Virginia, @ UW-Green Bay, vs. Florida, and neutral site games against St. John's, St. Louis, and West Virginia within that stretch. I'd also be impressed if they added Marquette to that list if they can make it to 10-0 today. What I can say about the Badgers is they are dynamic and gritty. They can score right with you in an up-and-down game (see 103-85 win over North Dakota) or they can grind you out in a low-scoring defensive affair (see 48-38 win over Virginia). Another thing that makes them tough is there isn't one guy to key on. They have five guys averaging in double-figures for scoring. My biggest concern with the Badgers is that they aren't particularly deep. They only play 8 guys, perhaps 9 if we ever see George Marshall again. While I know the Badgers don't foul, they'll need their depth if they get into foul trouble.

3. Michigan State - *sigh* I feel hesitant to put them here after that lackadaisical performance against North Carolina, but I feel they have probably the best "talent" in the B1G. Gary Harris, Keith Appling, and Adreian Payne are probably the best trio in the conference. They have some good supporting players that include Branden Dawson, Denzel Valentine, and Travis Trice. Still, the big issue with the Spartans at the moment is consistency. They looked outstanding in that first half against Kentucky. Outside of that game, the only other real quality opponent they played and won is arguably Oklahoma. Other than that, they are beating up on a ton of lower mid-major programs and I use the term "beating up" loosely because they sure didn't look good against Columbia and Portland.

4. Iowa - Up until last week, I wasn't sure what to think of the Hawkeyes. After their showing at the Battle For Atlantis, I think they're really damn good. They showed signs of major improvement last season and I think they are poise to make a running at the B1G title this year. The one thing the Hawkeyes have going for them is depth and athleticism. Fran McCaffrey isn't shy from playing 10 guys with no one averaging more than 27 minutes per game. This team scores a lot of points as well, currently 7th in the nation in scoring at 90 PPG. Roy Devyn Marble is a potential B1G POY and he has an excellent cast around him.

5. Michigan - *sigh* Okay, this is the spot where I think there is a pretty significant drop. The Wolverines have been a sore disappointment so far. While I don't think anyone can fault them for losing at Iowa State or Duke, a loss to Charlotte is embarrassing and even in those other two losses, it wasn't like Michigan was in it until the end. However, for me to not acknowledge that Michigan has a talented team would be an egregious oversight. Much like Iowa, they are a deep team and a talented one. Nik Stauskas proved that his freshman year wasn't a fluke, however, it seems like the one guy that has to show up so far is Mitch McGary. Perhaps he's just not quite back to 100% from injury yet. If there were any promising signs, he did have a solid game against Duke. It might be a must-win vs. Arizona. They might need them considering four potential non-conference losses doesn't bode well with a meat-grinding B1G schedule.

6. Minnesota - I had some thoughts about this one, but I have to say that I've been impressed/disappointed with some of their games. They were impressive against Richmond, Florida State, and did play Syracuse tough. However, they were also incredibly disappointing against Arkansas and Chaminade. I think if the Goofers could play with any sort of consistency, they are a tough out. The Hollins' are incredibly impressive and I'd argue that the Gophers do have some of the best guard play in the conference. My biggest concern with the Gophers though is post play. I'm not sure how strong or consistent their bigs will be this year.

7. Indiana - I'm truly on-the-fence with the Hoosiers. They fought tooth-and-nail with a very good Connecticut team, but they looked like lost puppies against Syracuse. Then again, I suppose when you lose as much talent as they did after last year, nothing comes easy. They pretty much went from Oladipo, Zeller, and Watford to Ferrell, Sheehey, and Vonleh leading the team. At any rate, the Hoosiers are a young team in a transitional phase with a majority of their roster consisting of freshman and sophomores. Honestly, I think the Hoosiers are about a year away from being REALLY good again. I think the Hoosiers will be fighting and clawing to get into the NCAA tourney this year.

8. Illinois - I truly wish I knew with this team. I have no idea if they are tourney contenders or complete pretenders. Maybe if they actually, I don't know, PLAYED SOMEBODY in their non-conference schedule, I'd know more. So far, their non-conference schedule is highlighted by Georgia Tech and UNLV. I guess I shouldn't really complain. They do play at Oregon and against Missouri. Those could be a few games that will get us to see the true Illini. From what I can tell, they do have some talent. Rayvonte Rice has been an outstanding transfer thus far with Joseph Bertrand, Tracy Abrams, and Nnanna Egwu returning as well. Still, their game at Georgia Tech should be considered an embarrassment and until they can prove to me they can beat some teams, I feel like I'm being generous putting them at #8.

9. Nebraska - Call me crazy, but I think the Cornhuskers are going to be one of the more surprising teams come conference play. The way Nebraska is playing, they seem like a much improved team from last year. They still haven't got that season-defining win yet. They've still played some teams tough, like UMass who has one of the highest RPIs in the nation. The Cornhuskers seem to be more balanced and deep than they were last year and I'm willing to bet they surprise a few B1G teams this year.

10. Purdue - I just haven't been that impressed by the Boilermakers this year. They've been eeking out wins against marginal mid-majors and even the quality opponents they do play against, they haven't looked all that competitive. That first half against Oklahoma State was atrocious to watch. I guess I could give credit for them making a big comeback that game, but it's not like they were able to make it all that interesting in the end and they looked abysmal the following game against Washington State. I really don't think a 20ish point win over Boston College proves anything.

11. Penn State - I will admit that it feels strange putting the Nittany Lions here. Oh, don't get me wrong, I know they are used to being the cellar dwellers of the B1G, but I do believe they'll be much improved this year. They've got some really good guard play with Tim Frazier and D.J. Newbill. These guys are match-up nightmares in the backcourt. However, much like the aforementioned Golden Gophers, these guys have essentially zero post play. Ross Travis is an incredibly undersized big that presents very little in regards to an offensive threat. The Nittany Lions already have some nice wins on the season, such as against St. John's. However, they lost a tough one to an Ole Miss team that's in a bit of a transition and lost a hard-fought game at Pitt. The way I see it, the Nittany Lions will be competitive, but they still won't win a ton of B1G games.

12. Northwestern - It's not hard to say the Wildcats are the worst team in the B1G. Honestly, I had a good laugh when I saw that thread about someone asking if they'll make the NCAA tourney. These guys will have a tough time making the CIT tourney at this rate. They've lost three straight and haven't looked competitive doing so. Hell, they've even lost a game to the very pedestrian Illinois State. Outside of Drew Crawford and JerShon Cobb, the Wildcats just don't have the athletes to compete in the B1G. Call me crazy, but I think they're gonna have a hard time reaching 12 wins this year, and that's including the four cupcake non-conference games they have left. I don't even think they'll get a win in the month of January (I mean, LOOK AT THAT JANUARY SCHEDULE! LOOK AT IT!). These guys are the bottom of the barrel with a new coach to boot. It's going to a long, rough year for the Wildcats.

Last edited by a moderator:

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thoughts all. To RM about MSU, I agree, eventually they'll get their shit together.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thoughts all. To RM about MSU, I agree, eventually they'll get their shit together.

I seriously contemplated having the Spartans 4th in my rankings but just couldnt pull the trigger. IMO they have been the 4th most impressive team so far but a team returning all those guys just has to get it figured out. I think people arent high enough on your Badgers. This is the first time I can remeber that a Wisconsin team can beat you multiple ways. Generally they have to play a game in the 50/60/low 70 range to beat you. This team doesnt HAVE to do that. They want to, but dont have to. Thats a HUGE advantage for a team that typically gets 75% of teams to play their style anyway. In the past they just lost the other other 25% of the games. This year they may win half of those other ones. Thats the difference between 24-8 and 28-4 or a 5 seed and a 1 seed in tourney speak.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys, just perusing the boards, and checking up on the BIG. AZ plays at Mich in a week, and I'm a bit worried. I do think that AZ has the better team, but having the #1 spot (putting the cart before the horse that we beat UNLV, today) with this young team, might rattle them in a tough venue. AZ has played @SDSU this season, and I don't know if you guys are aware, but it's not an easy road game. But Michigan is different. I can really see them playing out of their minds, feeding off the crowd, and trying to get their season back on track, with the win. We do have a game against NMSU at home, next week, so it won't be our first game at #1. But with only 2 players out of our best 7 players being old enough to get into a bar, I have to realize that these kids might get rattled by the pressure. I liked how they handled Duke at MSG, and SDSU on the road, but they weren't #1 at the time. We'll see.

Just wondered what you guys thought, in having more of an understanding about Michigan, as to how you think it plays out. Not sure how much you have seen of AZ, but I think it's our best team since being the '01 NC Runner-Up. We are very balanced on offense in scoring, monsters on the boards, and I'd put TJ McConnell right up along side Craft. AZ team defense is very solid. FTs and turnovers have been the Achilles-heel, but neither are devastating in their overall performance.

Good luck to the B1G this year, you guys are looking solid, once again.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys, just perusing the boards, and checking up on the BIG. AZ plays at Mich in a week, and I'm a bit worried. I do think that AZ has the better team, but having the #1 spot (putting the cart before the horse that we beat UNLV, today) with this young team, might rattle them in a tough venue. AZ has played @SDSU this season, and I don't know if you guys are aware, but it's not an easy road game. But Michigan is different. I can really see them playing out of their minds, feeding off the crowd, and trying to get their season back on track, with the win. We do have a game against NMSU at home, next week, so it won't be our first game at #1. But with only 2 players out of our best 7 players being old enough to get into a bar, I have to realize that these kids might get rattled by the pressure. I liked how they handled Duke at MSG, and SDSU on the road, but they weren't #1 at the time. We'll see.

Just wondered what you guys thought, in having more of an understanding about Michigan, as to how you think it plays out. Not sure how much you have seen of AZ, but I think it's our best team since being the '01 NC Runner-Up. We are very balanced on offense in scoring, monsters on the boards, and I'd put TJ McConnell right up along side Craft. AZ team defense is very solid. FTs and turnovers have been the Achilles-heel, but neither are devastating in their overall performance.

Michigan is REALLY missing Trey Burke. The Wolverines are a Corvette without an engine to make them go IMO. They look pretty on the outside until you get in and try to gun it and find out you aint going nowhere. Zona will ROLL them IMO. Cats by 15+. The only 4 teams in the B10 capable of beating Zona right now ( said capable, not probable too) are Wisky, OSU, MSU and Iowa. You dont have to worry about anyone else.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan has played out of their minds before, last year in the tourney, but they're different right now. I think Arizona can stick a fork in them.

RM. This should be another fun season. I agree with your assessment of UW. I think they will build depth in the backcourt as the year goes on. Iowa will be a serious obstacle. I think that will be a major shootout.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the OP's assessment as UW ending up number one for a few reasons. Not only have they regained their tough defensive form but they have drastically improved their FT shooting and now possess the best offense they've had statistically in over 2 decades. They might have one of the best starting 5 rotations in the country right now. However the main reason I like UW at number one this year is their schedule that's left. All of their tough games are at home while their toughest opponent on the road and only one that is ranked is Michigan (although Iowa and Purdue could be better). Michigan might not even be ranked after this week. I am not saying we go undefeated this year but 30+ wins this season is a possibility.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MSU is still the best.

Michigan finishes top 4. Book it.

OSU, Iowa, Wisco all finsh in the top 5 as well. I like OSU the most of these 3 so far as I see them with the most room to grow. Feel like they havn't even started getting on a roll yet.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Arizona is one of the most talented teams in the country. I remeber last yr Ohio St playing em and they looked like a team with a great future ahead of them. They have grewt potential and so much talent and athleticism on the team. I think they stomp Michigan, haven't been impressed with them early.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the OP's assessment as UW ending up number one for a few reasons. Not only have they regained their tough defensive form but they have drastically improved their FT shooting and now possess the best offense they've had statistically in over 2 decades. They might have one of the best starting 5 rotations in the country right now. However the main reason I like UW at number one this year is their schedule that's left. All of their tough games are at home while their toughest opponent on the road and only one that is ranked is Michigan (although Iowa and Purdue could be better). Michigan might not even be ranked after this week. I am not saying we go undefeated this year but 30+ wins this season is a possibility.

Iowa is ranked and DEFINITELY better than Michigan

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's December 7th and people are writing off Michigan. :L

Any time a team loses the Wooden Award winner it will hurt but remember, Burke had one outstanding game in Michigan's tourney run last year...one of the best tourney runs in recent history.

A lot of basketball to be played.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Any time a team loses the Wooden Award winner it will hurt but remember, Burke had one outstanding game in Michigan's tourney run last year...one of the best tourney runs in recent history.

Yeah I actually really do not like Michigan

But people who write them off are nuts.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not counting Michigan out. I just think that there is a clear difference (so far anyway) between the to 4 teams and them. That difference being PG play. When they get that figured out, they will be a dangerous team come Feb/March.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Im not writing off Michigan but they are no better than the 5th best team in the B10 even if they do find some consistent PG play. That said 5th place got them a trip to the NCAA Finals last year so theres that :) LOL

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Nebraska can beat Creighton in Omaha tomorrow night, I give them a good chance of pulling a couple of upsets in Lincoln come conference play. If they do that then I give them a very slim chance of making the tourney as a very low seed.

Too soon IMO.

My expectations are hosting NIT and that would be great for a 2nd year coach who essentially started from scratch.

I feel good about tourney in year 3 (2014/15)