• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ash out, season is over.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks. But at least it could take any and all pressure of Strong. In his first season, the pressure is high but when you lose your starting QB and put young blood in there...just anything you do is fine. So use it to get as much experience as possible and set the tone for his team.
-
It sets up well. OL should make considerable progress over the course of the year and become a strength for 2015/16, depending on injury and randomness. Only issue Texas's schedule is really front loaded, so really bad timing here. It does set up for Strong to point to the vast improvement over the season as Texas finishes much stronger than they start.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said 5-7 before the season started. I now think you might make a bowl game now that Ash is gone.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can win 1 of the next 2 (BYU/UCLA), then get an easy win @ Kansas... 3-1 would not be too bad a start all things considered.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bunch of damn pussies in here.

We are going to win.

A lot of games this year.

Ash was only mediocre anyway.

Now we run the ball and control the clock even more with the play action deep ball being used to soften the D. The deep ball is the one thing Swoopes can do really well. We can throw screen passes the rest of the game and still score enough points to be competitive and rest the defense.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking this could end up being a good thing for TExas football. The offense is going to have to be restructured. I would expect to see a lot more zone read with 2 dual threat QBs. This may force the staff to get a lot more creative on offense.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking this could end up being a good thing for TExas football. The offense is going to have to be restructured. I would expect to see a lot more zone read with 2 dual threat QBs. This may force the staff to get a lot more creative on offense.

Why would the offense need to be restructured?

Swoopes has been practicing with the #1s running that offense all offseason. What makes you think he doesn't know the playbook well enough to run it or is incapable of running it?

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Swoopes has been practicing with the #1s running that offense all offseason. What makes you think he doesn't know the playbook well enough to run it or is incapable of running it?

What I've seen of Swoopes was not impressive. Just heard Daje is still not going to be back. Loss of starting Center; no Daje to help out with screen and slot routes; Inexperienced QB who has not looked great thus far.

We are all hoping for the best - but none of that is good news.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charlie Strong is going to keep Watson running the offense he wants. If you watched his rewind show on LHN he was very happy with the offense minus the drops and turnovers. He wants to limit turnovers, run the ball, and keep the defense fresh. This might not be what we are use to as Texas fans, but until it proves ineffective at winning games I'm not going to bitch. Kansas St has done this successfully for years in this conference. Granted, they run a lot of the "Wildcat" offense Snyder created years ago when they have an athletic QB. However, the premise is the same. Run the ball, don't turn it over, and keep the defense fresh. It just works when you have the athletes on defense to win ball games.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I've seen of Swoopes was not impressive. Just heard Daje is still not going to be back. Loss of starting Center; no Daje to help out with screen and slot routes; Inexperienced QB who has not looked great thus far.

We are all hoping for the best - but none of that is good news.

What I've seen from Swoopes as about as impressive of what I've seen from Ash. The only real difference I"ve seen is experience.

Swoopes has been running this offense as much as Ash has in practice, actually hes run it more. He has good timing and chemistry with Harris and Raulerson. I don't think he'll be as big an issue as most assume.

Getting Harrison back this week will re-shuffle the line. THIS is where we will have the most trouble.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

-
1. Strong said they had a "Swoopes Package" in place already
2. Swoopes can offer you more in the running game, than Ash. Texas had to protect Ash"s health. Why not take advantage of a 250-60 LB QB?
3. Swoopes does not have the accuracy at this pt of his career
4. Been stated many times through out camp, that Swoopes was having issues with his reads.

I think at a minimum, you will see the path change on the offense. I would be shocked if Zone Read did not become a staple. ZR also forces the defense to play some assignment football, which can really help a young OL. It also completely fits Strong's philosophy and the roster.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TEXAS will surprise. I don't think losing David Ash is a death sentence.
David Ash, while a fully capable quarterback, was not some all-conference Heisman hopeful.

He was a serviceable quarterback that had game experience.
I find it hard to believe that he is an irreplaceable season ender.

The 2013 Horns contended with defense and running the ball last season.
Even with Case McCoy, they were in a position to win the conference.
It was late season horrible injuries to the D-line and running game which fizzled the momentum.

With a healthy D-line and decent running game, the Horns will be a better defensive version of 2013.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting Harrison back is huge for the running game. He is a very large man who dominates in run blocking from all reports. While Hutchins played admirably last week he is still a very small LT. Losing Espinosa will still hurt as Raulerson was really still a year in the weight room away from being ready. He is a little undersized at like 6'5 and only 280. He needs 300 lbs on his frame to move DT's consistently. Of course this is all my unprofessional opinion.

Harrison, Flowers, Raulerson, Perkins, and Estelle is a pretty talented OL. It's just young so we can assume they are gonna make some mistakes for awhile. As long as they also make some good plays I think we will be fine.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting Harrison back is huge for the running game. He is a very large man who dominates in run blocking from all reports. While Hutchins played admirably last week he is still a very small LT. Losing Espinosa will still hurt as Raulerson was really still a year in the weight room away from being ready. He is a little undersized at like 6'5 and only 280. He needs 300 lbs on his frame to move DT's consistently. Of course this is all my unprofessional opinion.

Harrison, Flowers, Raulerson, Perkins, and Estelle is a pretty talented OL. It's just young so we can assume they are gonna make some mistakes for awhile. As long as they also make some good plays I think we will be fine.

Estelle, Perkins and Harrison are good. The weak link is Flowers so far from what I've seen. He missed some basic assignments against NT that led to two sacks. Raulerson's techinique looks solid, but his size may be a longterm issue, I agree. He's going to really have to learn to use leverage and good footwork this year.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Estelle, Perkins and Harrison are good. The weak link is Flowers so far from what I've seen. He missed some basic assignments against NT that led to two sacks. Raulerson's techinique looks solid, but his size may be a longterm issue, I agree. He's going to really have to learn to use leverage and good footwork this year.

Dont forget Darius James. I would not be surprised to see him practice at OC this week.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont forget Darius James. I would not be surprised to see him practice at OC this week.

I really hope the light comes on for this guy eventually. Him sliding into Flowers/Raulerson spot would put our 5 best lineman on the field I believe. He doesn't seem to have the work ethic to go along with his talent according to reports. He hasn't been in the mix for either staff he has played under. I believe last season there were attitude questions under the old staff.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he is very young still so probably a little unreal expectations in development from us at this point.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope the light comes on for this guy eventually. Him sliding into Flowers/Raulerson spot would put our 5 best lineman on the field I believe. He doesn't seem to have the work ethic to go along with his talent according to reports. He hasn't been in the mix for either staff he has played under. I believe last season there were attitude questions under the old staff.
-
lot of injuries in his short time on the 40, so we shall see.