• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ash out, season is over.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was better to just get it over early.

We all knew that the health of David Ash was always going to be a question mark.

This season is a honeymoon season.... let the young guys get the reps.

Hmmmmm, "Shock The Nation Part 2", maybe????

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) O-Line, and
2) Ash's health

We just lost our only veteran and starting Center for the year; and our starting QB...

In the First Fucking Game!
:gaah:
Look at the bright side. That's two fewer things you need to worry about.

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that is the hit, than he is done. That was nothing special. He should hang it up, before it affects the rest of his life

Agreed. That was nothing, time to call it a career. He's already suffered brain damage and will more than likely have repercussions for that later in life, no need to make things worse. Feel bad for him.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So should I pick BYU in my Pickems or not?

:noidea: your guess is good as mine. I'm going to bet the defense rises up and shuts them down. But I'm a little biased.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been thrown around a lot but what happened to max wittek transferring there and competing there? last I heard he ended up at Hawaii instead

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been thrown around a lot but what happened to max wittek transferring there and competing there? last I heard he ended up at Hawaii instead
Last thing I read was that Wittek didn't have his USC graduation ducks in their respective rows. So he didn't qualify for admission into UT. I believe he has to sit a year at Hawaii as well. (Not a bad place to chill for a year, if you ask me.)

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just heard he didn't graduate, so couldn't come to grad school here.

In a report just released today by a local reporter (with the Ash injury) was that he took 22 hours in the spring semester to graduate, but something happened academically and the school canceled out all 22 hours. Not sure what happened, but was an academic penalty of some sorts for some reason.

He was all set to come: had visited three times, had playbook and watched film. But it all rested on his graduation, and being accepted into grad school here at UT.

Really hurts, cause we could have used him.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He needs to be done.

Yep, he still has a life ahead of him. Every single time kid has tried to come back - he can't make it through a single game. His last concussion before this was not even a hard hit at all - and it took him months to get over it. Then North Texas takes him out.

I hope for his sake he calls it a career.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So should I pick BYU in my Pickems or not?

Really tough game to call. A team with problems at o-line and qb is tough to pick. BYU rolled us last year. But...

Game is in Austin. Our D is potentially the best its been in a long long while. Hard to win if you can't score.

If I had to pick - I would say Texas by 1 point.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Byu have the same qb as last year. He ran for a ton of yards in that game.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Byu have the same qb as last year. He ran for a ton of yards in that game.
Taysom Hill is returning, but Texas doesn't have the same defense as last year. Conn held him to 97 yards 2 TDs and he passed 28-36 for 308 3 TDs.

He will not have that sort of game against this Texas defense.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Texas was set on taking him. It was a done deal. Then he got himself thrown out of USC. No details on what led to that, but that destroyed the deal. It didnt happen until late May, so Texas was stuck holding its johnson with no alternative.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taysom Hill is returning, but Texas doesn't have the same defense as last year. Conn held him to 97 yards 2 TDs and he passed 28-36 for 308 3 TDs.

He will not have that sort of game against this Texas defense.

Cool. Speaking of the Texas defense it was weird watching Manny Diaz on the sidelines in Norman this past weekend while he was coaching La. Tech.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think changing from Brown to Strong is a transition that will take a little bit of time. Brown had his way and it was UT football for years. Now an overhaul and it may show this season.

I don't see a bowl game for UT this year. But I do see a brighter future than the end of the Brown regime.

So true. First, I wish David Ash the best. He seems like a great kid, and here's to him going on and having a great life even if it means no football. Second, We all knew this was a strong possibility and it was going to be a tough first year or two anyway.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas WILL MAKE A BOWL GAME. Lets get serious here, people act like this team is completely devoid of any talent whatsoever at every position. This nearly exact same roster played for the conference title with Case McCoy at QB and the DC fired after 3 games.

Texas has enough talent to win 6 games. No question. And as much as it sucks to lose Ash, Swoopes will be fine.......it's not like he didn't practice with the first team all spring and most of fall camp. He'll do fine as long as he doesn't turn the ball over.

The biggest loss wasn't Ash......it was Espinoza. I think Raulerson is just as effective a blocker......but he's undersized and larger DLs should be able to push him around, no matter how great his technique is. We will only go as far as our OL takes us, not our QB. We have too much skill position talent to be worried about the QB. As long as he can get the ball into Daje, Gray, Brown, Harris, Johnson, or Shipleys hands, we'll be fine.......the OL just has to give those guys time or a lane.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting QB out? Welcome to the club!

I will admit that watching the Ohio State - Navy game was a bit less frustrating than normal since my expectations were way low. Good news is that you get to look for silver linings all year long. :suds:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas WILL MAKE A BOWL GAME. Lets get serious here, people act like this team is completely devoid of any talent whatsoever at every position. This nearly exact same roster played for the conference title with Case McCoy at QB and the DC fired after 3 games.

Texas has enough talent to win 6 games. No question. And as much as it sucks to lose Ash, Swoopes will be fine.......it's not like he didn't practice with the first team all spring and most of fall camp. He'll do fine as long as he doesn't turn the ball over.

The biggest loss wasn't Ash......it was Espinoza. I think Raulerson is just as effective a blocker......but he's undersized and larger DLs should be able to push him around, no matter how great his technique is. We will only go as far as our OL takes us, not our QB. We have too much skill position talent to be worried about the QB. As long as he can get the ball into Daje, Gray, Brown, Harris, Johnson, or Shipleys hands, we'll be fine.......the OL just has to give those guys time or a lane.

1. It is not the same roster. 0 OL will be starting on Saturday vs BYU, that started the Opening day last year. Last year was 5 upperclassmen starters. WR has 1 returning starter
2. Case was bad, but he at least understood the game.
3. I do think bowl game can happen. It will be like watching TCU the last couple years. Good to great defense and a brutal offense
4. Espinoza is a killer. Raulerson is about 500 deadlifts and squat away from being prepared to play everyday. Bigger concern is his understanding of college defenses. Espy made every line call for the last 3 years. BYU loves to run exotic blitzes. This is not a great game to test yours centers ability to make line adjustments.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DEFENSE appears to be light years better than the train wreck under Manny Diaz.

The offense will be young and completely inexperienced at the line.

But, I have faith in the defense to win games.
Strong has a solid and motivated defensive unit.

And the offensive question marks are not questions about talent level.
They have talent. It is just inexperienced.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks. But at least it could take any and all pressure of Strong. In his first season, the pressure is high but when you lose your starting QB and put young blood in there...just anything you do is fine. So use it to get as much experience as possible and set the tone for his team.