• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Arizona lands 2015 5-star recruit

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think azchamps inadvertently mixed up jonvi with that john dude who is the real troll... jonvi is a good poster, definitely not a troll!

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't mix him up with the likes of slapdick, aka john. That guy's is one of the worst trolls around and he's also pants-on-head retarded. The good news on him btw, is that he also joined the College Sports Nation boards about the same time he joined here... aaaaaaand he's already banned for life there. I suspect he won't last much longer here either at the rate he's making friends. I'm guessing he'll eventually be relegated to to a couple of boards dedicated to his favorite "sport" (hint: it involves oily guys who shave their chest and wear leotards and like to grope each other) where he'll fit right in.

Anyway, about the only thing that jonvi has in common with him is Syracuse basketball. Unlike john, jonvi has an IQ significantly higher than his age, a keen sense of humor, a good understanding of basketball with a humble desire to learn more.

that is false. it is only a 2 month ban

and i got banned for something that had nothing to do with sports :lol:

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... political trolling. I notice you've been doing plenty of that here too. It's only a matter of time.

yep. apparently posting richard Nixon quotes where he says he supports abortion in cases of mixed raced relationships but not r*pe is a big no...no

:lol:

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep. apparently posting richard Nixon quotes where he says he supports abortion in cases of mixed raced relationships but not r*pe is a big no...no

I guess it's a good thing he's no longer President. (or alive)

No big surprise that you'd use quotes from a dead guy to do your political trolling.

Like I said... only a matter of time.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it's a good thing he's no longer President. (or alive)

No big surprise that you'd use quotes from a dead guy to do your political trolling.

Like I said... only a matter of time.

yeah had nothing to do with the guy but the overall mentality of the pro-life movement. it would not suprise me one bit if there were still pro lifers who still think like that

TangoBlue

I'd cabeceo that cutie!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had doubts about Coach Miller when he first came here. I knew little to nothing about him. After the things he has done as coach since he has been here, I hope he is here for the next 20 years.
GO CATS! BEAR DOWN! GO MILLER!

I can't believe you had doubts about Coach Miller. I was hoping UK got him until we got Calipari. And after Cal retires I'm hoping we can steal Miller away from you guys.:music:

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe you had doubts about Coach Miller. I was hoping UK got him until we got Calipari. And after Cal retires I'm hoping we can steal Miller away from you guys.:music:

I'll admit it too, I had reservations about him also. I don't think that anyone in Tucson actually was unhappy, but I think that many thought that AZ could get a little more of an already accomplished coach than Miller (or at least one who had a better track record of building a program).

Now, I want to acknowledge that that last sentence really paints AZ fans as some pompous assholes, so I'd like to further explain. It's not that the AZ fans thought that we were on the same level of getting elite coaches like the bluebloods. It's not like we thought we'd be able to do what UNC did when they got Roy from KU, or anything like that. But some of us thought that maybe Jay Wright, Few, Dixon, etc., would have been better choices. Now, hindsight is always 20/20. I think that many of us are more than willing to eat crow now. It's not that Miller's Elite Eight at X was anything to shake a stick at, but it seemed (to me anyway) that coaches like Few, Dixon, etc., had more organic success. I'll admit that I really had thought that Miller had taken Matta's team to the Elite Eight.

Now, fast forward to the 2011 season when he basically built the program up from a bare cupboard of recruiting, and has obviously done well since.

I just think that AZ fans were looking for coaches in that low tier 1/high tier 2 level of coaches back in 2009, and we all thought that Miller was probably in the mid/high tier 2 level. So it wasn't that we were pissed (at all), we just had our eye (admittedly incorrectly) on some others that we thought could do a little better. Obviously (and thankfully) we were wrong.

As far as Miller leaving, who knows? It's obviously not crazy to think that a blueblood could come knocking after Cal, Roy, or K. Maybe he would fit at some places better than others, and be at different places on the lists of some of those ADs, but I have to believe that he would be somewhere on their lists (if he continues on his current trajectory).

It's hard to tell. Miller has been pretty vocal about exactly why he loves Tucson, and it seems to be a great fit. Tough to walk away from such a great situation (if again, he continues on his current trajectory), but it's also difficult to turn down one of the great programs in the sport. We'll have to see.

The good news is that Miller has proven that AZ was not just a great program because of one coach; that it's a coaching destination. And that's big for us. It means that whenever we have to look for our next coach, it's a much better jump than when some thought that AZ was done when Lute left. We also have Pastner from Memphis who played for Lute. He's always been the coach that after about a decade or more of success and experience somewhere else (Memphis) that he would obviously be a hometown favorite. But the good news is that we would draw much more interest than before.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Miller stay for decades. The program is his, we're all on board, and it seems like the sky is the limit for him in his young age as far as the top 10-15 coaches are concerned. But you never know.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously not to the same extent, but what about Billy Donovan? What he has done in Gainesville is really special, and no one would be surprised if he stays for decades, and is very successful.

But what if UK comes calling? It would be hard for him to not go, just because of what he could accomplish in that atmosphere. But again, is the grass greener than what he has already done? Maybe, maybe not. It is obviously different from Miller (that's not what I'm trying to say). But you look at where you are at, and if it's a really great fit, then it's definitely not such an easy decision to just pack up and leave. But when you get a phone call from a program like UK, you definitely listen.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not a chance. He is building his legacy in Tucson.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dunno, I think miller eventually ends up at a program like duke, unc, ku, uk

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those are about the only places he could step upwards to.

Right now he is the best bargain in cbb, but I expect Arizona to be wiling to give him top money at his next extension.

Right now he has very little recruiting competition in the west, and that might hard to be leave.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler Dorsey ✔
Stephen Zimmerman
Ivan Rabb

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler Dorsey ✔
Stephen Zimmerman
Ivan Rabb

you can put a check next to Irabb as far as I am concerned. He will be a wildcat.

Zimmerman I think is much less likely.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think Duke would go after him. I really don't think they'd go after an established coahc when K leaves. Everything I've heard seems to indicate that they'd rather get a younger guy (most likely with Duke ties) to take over. They seem to be grooming Wojo for the job, but if they're going after someone with more HC experience, it would be Stevens if he came available at the right time.

I don't think he'd leave for UK. UK is the best and worst job in College Basketball. You have all the resources in the world at your disposal, but you also have the most unrealistic fickle fanbase in the world that knows you have every resource at your disposal, so you're expected not just to win, but to win big, and win now. No exceptions. It seems that coaches with big ego/swagger seem to work best at UK. Miller seems to down to earth (but I could be mistaken about that)

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Duke would go after him. I really don't think they'd go after an established coahc when K leaves. Everything I've heard seems to indicate that they'd rather get a younger guy (most likely with Duke ties) to take over. They seem to be grooming Wojo for the job, but if they're going after someone with more HC experience, it would be Stevens if he came available at the right time.

I don't think he'd leave for UK. UK is the best and worst job in College Basketball. You have all the resources in the world at your disposal, but you also have the most unrealistic fickle fanbase in the world that knows you have every resource at your disposal, so you're expected not just to win, but to win big, and win now. No exceptions. It seems that coaches with big ego/swagger seem to work best at UK. Miller seems to down to earth (but I could be mistaken about that)

no you are very correct about this. Miller would be much better suited at Duke than UK, but either way i don't care to even think about any of this. If we get a NC and another FF or two under our belt, he will stay for a long time coming IMO. It's also nice to dominate recruiting on the west coast