• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Arizona Basketball Recruiting Thread

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well start this thread off with this terrific news... 2015 5-star PG Tyler Dorsey commits to Arizona.

Ranked 7th overall in the ESPN60. They just keep coming in for Sean Miller.

Last edited by a moderator:

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i jizzed by pants about 3 hours ago when this news broke. god damn sean miller owns the fucking west coast

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, a huge pick up. He has a man's handles, really purposeful and strong with the ball. He is the first puzzle piece to the dream class. We all know that Ivan Rabb has been a huge UofA lean for years, and that Zimmerman isn't far behind. Arizona has been recruiting those two since they were Freshmen.

When Miller lands those two guys it could be the best UofA class ever.

520GGATO

Southern Arizona Servin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 85.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I heard the news I wasn't even surprised. It's already a given that the top Califronia players are going to Arizona. But it did make me smile and have an evil laugh. Sorry UCLA. There's not next season, not the season after next season, but maybe you can get Californias next top recruit three years from now.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I heard the news I wasn't even surprised. It's already a given that the top Califronia players are going to Arizona. But it did make me smile and have an evil laugh. Sorry UCLA. There's not next season, not the season after next season, but maybe you can get Californias next top recruit three years from now.

umm... UCLA already has a commitment from California's projected "top-player" from 3 years from now. Either you are psychic, or you read that somewhere and it stuck in your subconscious. Miller has been recruiting guys like Rabb and Dorsey for years, so the chances of them flipping to Enfield or Alford is slim-to-none.

Besides, it wasn't UCLA that was the front-runner, it was Duke.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great new to wake up to this morning. Our 2015 could be the a special class!

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
umm... UCLA already has a commitment from California's projected "top-player" from 3 years from now. Either you are psychic, or you read that somewhere and it stuck in your subconscious. Miller has been recruiting guys like Rabb and Dorsey for years, so the chances of them flipping to Enfield or Alford is slim-to-none.

Besides, it wasn't UCLA that was the front-runner, it was Duke.

front runner for who? UA has been the front runner for Dorsey for like 2 years

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking about Duke being thought of as the front-runner for Dorsey according to most recruiting experts. Obviously Arizona has been involved for years and the Bruins made a late push, but UCLA is a school in transition and with a new HC with no West Coast ties that's a tough sell.

We all know Miller was on him as an 8th grader and that is one reason why he is getting the best players out of Cali. It's also because he has worked at his relationships with Cali mentor-types. Many of the HS coaches and aau guys cut ties with Howland years ago... right around the time that Miller took over. Those coaches have long memories and when you treat players with respect and honesty those relationships continue, but when you mistreat kids (like Howland did) those coaches not-so-subtley tell the next crop of players to avoid Westwood.

Anyone who has been paying attention knows that as backwards as it is the travel coaches are usually the ones who have the ears of the players.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read this in a comment over on the 247 boards two days ago:

"Notably, the 5-foot-10 PJC is now a clean 6-foot-0, and the more he grows the easier it will be for Arizona to add some muscle to his frame as a freshman next year."
-Gary Randazzo

Randazzo has been covering Arizona recruiting for awhile, so I don't know why he would lie about PJC growing a few inches. Me, I have not seen PJC in person since last summer... but if he shows up on campus as a legit 6'+ then all bets are off. His biggest problem will/would have been guarding taller PGs who can shoot over the top of him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read this in a comment over on the 247 boards two days ago:

Randazzo has been covering Arizona recruiting for awhile, so I don't know why he would lie about PJC growing a few inches. Me, I have not seen PJC in person since last summer... but if he shows up on campus as a legit 6'+ then all bets are off. His biggest problem will/would have been guarding taller PGs who can shoot over the top of him.

Ya I saw the same comment and was thrilled to hear he grew haha. Not sure how accurate it is but if he is a clean 6 ft now, then that's a major bonus.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some high praise for Stanley Johnson, who later this month is looking to become the first California player to win 4 consecutive state championships as a starter for Mater Dei. Coach Derrick Taylor of rival St. John Bosco (where 2015 commit Tyler Dorsey plays) had this to say recently:

"I think he's an all-time great. I've coached against Kevin Durant, Ty Lawson, John Wall, Nick Young, Arron Afflalo," Taylor said, ticking off players from the NBA, "and there's only two players that made me feel completely helpless regarding a game plan, and that was Kyrie Irving and Stanley Johnson."

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last night Stanley Johnson had 28 points in the 4th quarter and overtimes (38 total) to help lead Mater Dei to a 67-64 2OT win over Etiwanda and top-50 PG recruit Jordan McLaughlin, who is headed to USC. It was Stanley Johnson's final homegame. He finished his career undefeated on his home court.

Next up is Westchester (Hassan Adams, Trevor Ariza) in the semi finals of the CIF State Open Division. Two more wins for that first ever four-peat.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last night Stanley Johnson had 28 points in the 4th quarter and overtimes (38 total) to help lead Mater Dei to a 67-64 2OT win over Etiwanda and top-50 PG recruit Jordan McLaughlin, who is headed to USC. It was Stanley Johnson's final homegame. He finished his career undefeated on his home court.

Next up is Westchester (Hassan Adams, Trevor Ariza) in the semi finals of the CIF State Open Division. Two more wins for that first ever four-peat.

TJM
SJ
RHJ
BA (please god be fully healthy come the start of the season)
KT

WOOOOOOW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona's #1 recruit for 2014, Stanley Johnson (Mater Dei) takes on the UofA's #1 recruiting target for 2015, Ivan Raab (Bishop O'Dowd) in tomorrow's California open division State Championship. If Johnson wins, it will be his 4th consecutive State Championship at Calis highest level, making him the only player in the history of the state to accomplish this. Last year, Mater Dei became the first school in Cali history to win 3 consecutive titles in the highest division when Johnson beat Aaron Gordon's team in the championship.

The game will be televised on Comcast Sports Bay Area... for whatever that's worth.

IMO, these two players, Raab and Johnson, may very well be the most talented recruits in UofA history... at least top-5. They are that good. If you didn't know, they are also both Oakland Soldiers, and have been teammates with Nick Johnson, Brandon Ashley, Aaron Gordon, etc, etc.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the Mc-D All American game. 3 minutes into the 3rd quarter comes the quote of the night:

"Stanley Johnson has already played more defense in this game that I did in 12 years in the NBA"

-Jalen Rose

Gotta love a guy who takes guarding his man seriously. I remember last year Rondae did the same thing, he was the only guy guarding his man at 100% effort. You don't see that in HS All-Star games very often.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the Mc-D All American game. 3 minutes into the 3rd quarter comes the quote of the night:

"Stanley Johnson has already played more defense in this game that I did in 12 years in the NBA"

-Jalen Rose

Gotta love a guy who takes guarding his man seriously. I remember last year Rondae did the same thing, he was the only guy guarding his man at 100% effort. You don't see that in HS All-Star games very often.

I can't wait to see him play in tucson next season. I'm impressed with how quick he moves with the ball at his size and weight. He's got light feet for sure. That, along with a decent jumper, is going to make him a match up nightmare. I think if NJ leaves, Stanley would be a excellent choice at the 2 position. Can't wait.