• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Argument: Why take Winston at 5

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, yeah, yeah........the point has been made that he's a knucklehead and likely gonna have some off field issues, but there are very strong reasons why he should be the 1st QB taken in this draft. However if he is there at 5, Washington would be wise to grab him. Here's why:

If and that's a gigantic if, Griffin nor Cousins is the guy here then there's an obvious need at the position. McCoy?? Stop playin'!
So, why Winston? Simply put in this draft class he is head and shoulders above all others at the position. Mariota? Nope just think back to the whole Luck/Griffin debates and the similarities are amazing.

Now about that whole knucklehead thing.....for the vast majority of us, looking back to our time as eary 20-22 years olds, you'd have to wonder where our reputations would be if cameras followed us around 24 hours a day and standard/ social media sites scrutinized every move you made. For those of you who are 20 something, trust me, soon you'll look back and realized that the earlier version of yourself was.......well,......at times was a, (fill in the blank here) but note that jackass kinda sums it up.

REAL_Harrison

Amateurstitute
Hoopla Cash
$ 510.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A) highly doubt here's there at 5, Tampa and Tennessee are both in desperate need of QBs 2) Washington has bigger issues than just at QB, if by some miracle he's there at 5, they'd be wise to trade down and use the multiple picks to build organizational depth.

I personally don't think his off-field stuff is that big of a deal

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Fischer isn't at Tenn anymore but the Vince Young debacle still has to be in the organizations concern. If they take a QB it will be Mariotta.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A) highly doubt here's there at 5, Tampa and Tennessee are both in desperate need of QBs 2) Washington has bigger issues than just at QB, if by some miracle he's there at 5, they'd be wise to trade down and use the multiple picks to build organizational depth.

:agree:This.

The risk is too high and our needs are too numerous. He is more valuable to us in the picks he can bring than as a high risk draft pick. I hope he is there. Some team will give up a bunch of picks to draft him at 5. We can get healthy quickly with the picks we can get.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I said he should be the 1st QB taken in the draft. However, where Washington is concerned at 5 there are competitive arguments about the move or choice here. Chiefly, when the opportunity to draft your franchise QB is there, do you take him or pass because of other needs? To this I'll ask what's easier to find, your team's offensive leader for the next 10 years or so or his supporting cast?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I said he should be the 1st QB taken in the draft. However, where Washington is concerned at 5 there are competitive arguments about the move or choice here. Chiefly, when the opportunity to draft your franchise QB is there, do you take him or pass because of other needs? To this I'll ask what's easier to find, your team's offensive leader for the next 10 years or so or his supporting cast?

If you are convinced with very little doubt that he WILL be your offensive leader for the foreseeable future, then you take him. It is obviously much harder to find a franchise QB than any other position. I'm just not convinced without reasonable doubt that he can be that player for us. Most importantly, above all else, is we need a major hit with this pick.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are convinced with very little doubt that he WILL be your offensive leader for the foreseeable future, then you take him. It is obviously much harder to find a franchise QB than any other position. I'm just not convinced without reasonable doubt that he can be that player for us. Most importantly, above all else, is we need a major hit with this pick.

Before I created this thread, I took the time to read as much on hm as I could find. In total the positives were that he has all of the necessary tools and stature to be that guy. The negatives were almost uniformly about his conduct off of the field. Well, as stated in my opening, the off field stuff goes away in time, because most of it can be attributed to youthful indiscretions.

I honestly believe that he's going to go with the 1st pick, but there is this gnawing thought in the back of my mind that sees him falling to 5.
I suspect that becase of the whole Griffin experience that Mariota will be the 2nd or 3rd QB taken and not even a consideration if he falls to 5. Philadelphia could very well be that wild card moving up to get Mariota early. If not and he (Mariota) comes to 5, DC should make a deal tradng down.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't done the research on him as you have so I have to defer a bit to you here. I agree his on the field gifts makes him an attractive target. I also get the youth thing. But his issues are so extreme that I'm not as confident as you that he will grow out of it. In fact, with a huge wad of cash in his pocket and a city that tends to initially hold these young athletes up as Gods, he could get worse. This is not a guy going out and getting drunk and getting into a fight or getting a DUI. Some of the charges leveled against him are serious and can't be explained as youthful indiscretion. Compound his issues with the instability of this franchise, it could be like putting oil on a fire. I still feel the risk isn't worth the reward. Trade back, take the extra picks and fill multiple holes so that when we do finally get (or develop) our QB, we have a strong supporting cast to help him as he is adjusting to the NFL game.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't done the research on him as you have so I have to defer a bit to you here. I agree his on the field gifts makes him an attractive target. I also get the youth thing. But his issues are so extreme that I'm not as confident as you that he will grow out of it. In fact, with a huge wad of cash in his pocket and a city that tends to initially hold these young athletes up as Gods, he could get worse. This is not a guy going out and getting drunk and getting into a fight or getting a DUI. Some of the charges leveled against him are serious and can't be explained as youthful indiscretion. Compound his issues with the instability of this franchise, it could be like putting oil on a fire. I still feel the risk isn't worth the reward. Trade back, take the extra picks and fill multiple holes so that when we do finally get (or develop) our QB, we have a strong supporting cast to help him as he is adjusting to the NFL game.

Granted he's been the target of some very strange charges, however, not one conviction, not one settlement. You're right his inner personal demons seem devoid of the usual stuff ( alcohol.....drugs......fights) and you do make a point that there is great instability here, however at some point that must change as does the fear that those charges while serious were warranted or merely attempts to profit at him expense.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry him = his,......... timed out for changes.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, yeah, yeah........the point has been made that he's a knucklehead and likely gonna have some off field issues, but there are very strong reasons why he should be the 1st QB taken in this draft. However if he is there at 5, Washington would be wise to grab him. Here's why:

If and that's a gigantic if, Griffin nor Cousins is the guy here then there's an obvious need at the position. McCoy?? Stop playin'!
So, why Winston? Simply put in this draft class he is head and shoulders above all others at the position. Mariota? Nope just think back to the whole Luck/Griffin debates and the similarities are amazing.

Now about that whole knucklehead thing.....for the vast majority of us, looking back to our time as eary 20-22 years olds, you'd have to wonder where our reputations would be if cameras followed us around 24 hours a day and standard/ social media sites scrutinized every move you made. For those of you who are 20 something, trust me, soon you'll look back and realized that the earlier version of yourself was.......well,......at times was a, (fill in the blank here) but note that jackass kinda sums it up.

sorry sty , but i will not explain away allegations of sexual assault as simple "knuckleheadness" that is a serious character flaw and possibly even more sinister

so i would really , really do my homework on him .

he is lucky the tallehasse police protected him

but i cant see him getting to us so hopefully we wont have to be put through it

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry sty , but i will not explain away allegations of sexual assault as simple "knuckleheadness" that is a serious character flaw and possibly even more sinister

It is one of the issues that I have with the media.......being quick to report allegations at every level, and barely responsible to report the retraction. I'll bet that if there was a report that a person raped his or her own hand there would be people who under no circumstance believe otherwise, and further people who would convict that person in a court of law.
We may not be able to explain away such allegations using knuckleheadedness, but as long as it's remains an allegation I'm not willing to convict in the court of public opinion.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think we answered that question 3 years ago and are still tabulating the results.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we answered that question 3 years ago and are still tabulating the results.

There was something said by Scot McGloughin that was pertinent to the drafting a franchise QB that was totally not tried before or after that draft. He said you either draft your QB and build the team around him or you build the team and draft a QB that fits your scheme. Washington did neither and still haven't. There's nothing to tabulate, current results are skewed by failure to properly address the issue in either fashion.

I can't wait until I am accused of making excuses for the QB's, either of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sonny Jurgenen was considered to be a great QB although he mostly played with bad teams. There is always something to go by.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was something said by Scot McGloughin that was pertinent to the drafting a franchise QB that was totally not tried before or after that draft. He said you either draft your QB and build the team around him or you build the team and draft a QB that fits your scheme. Washington did neither and still haven't. There's nothing to tabulate, current results are skewed by failure to properly address the issue in either fashion.

I can't wait until I am accused of making excuses for the QB's, either of them.

Actually, in his first season, Kyle did build a scheme that was tailored to robert and after that season he said he didn't want to run that offense anymore. So there is something to tabulate. And that is the importance of attitude, character and willingness to sacrifice your wants for the better of the team. Almost all, and I include me, were so enamored with RG3's physical gifts that maybe we didn't delve far enough into psyche of the player. In hindsight, there might have been some clues. I remember one report citing concern that Robert had no close friends on the team. In fact, he had no close friends at all other than his finance. He was respected, but not befriended. Not dissimilar from the current locker room environment. He has trouble bonding, which is an important trait if you are a member of a team. If we learned anything from our RG3 experience, now would be the time to apply it to a potential draft choice like Winston.

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance this GM will ever take Winston.

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ohio state QB is intriguing. I've heard Big Ben comparisons

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ohio state QB is intriguing. I've heard Big Ben comparisons

Which one? They've been through 3 of them this year. If you are referring to jones, he is only a sophomore and isn't coming out.

Mitziman

i know you don't like to hear the truth, but...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Jameis "is lucky" to live in a country that has laws...laws who our forefathers died for, that actually "protected him"....not the Tallahassee PD.