• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

areas the team needs to improve

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just about all of this is very correctable.

1. Defensive Pass Yards per Play - this can be corrected by a few personnel changes that should result in a better pass rush & coverage. I actually expect this to improve if for no other reason than that the coverage was soooo bad this season.

2. Punt return avg - does it need to be spelled out? This unit was horrendous this season in no small part due to the undeserving ST coach. A new coach & a few hungry players may result in huge dividends for this unit.

3. Offensive Int Rate - We all know that RG3 was way off in this area this season. I expect better from him next season. Also - as mentioned in the article - Cousins threw a fair amt of picks - many being in garbage time.

4. Fumbles Lost - Not sure where all these came from (not strictly from RG3 & Morris). A lot of this might be reduced via better ST & O-line play.

5. 1st QTR Scoring differential - this will go away by default. I cannot imagine the Redskins starting out slower in the 1st QTR then they did during most games this season. This can be attributed to a lot of different factors. I will be shocked if there is not major improvement in this area.

I expect major improvement overall due to coaching changes, additional picks & FAs and a fire burning inside of remaining players resulting in increased preparation that is a result of being embarrassed in a major way this season.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just about all of this is very correctable.

1. Defensive Pass Yards per Play - this can be corrected by a few personnel changes that should result in a better pass rush & coverage. I actually expect this to improve if for no other reason than that the coverage was soooo bad this season.

2. Punt return avg - does it need to be spelled out? This unit was horrendous this season in no small part due to the undeserving ST coach. A new coach & a few hungry players may result in huge dividends for this unit.

3. Offensive Int Rate - We all know that RG3 was way off in this area this season. I expect better from him next season. Also - as mentioned in the article - Cousins threw a fair amt of picks - many being in garbage time.

4. Fumbles Lost - Not sure where all these came from (not strictly from RG3 & Morris). A lot of this might be reduced via better ST & O-line play.

5. 1st QTR Scoring differential - this will go away by default. I cannot imagine the Redskins starting out slower in the 1st QTR then they did during most games this season. This can be attributed to a lot of different factors. I will be shocked if there is not major improvement in this area.

I expect major improvement overall due to coaching changes, additional picks & FAs and a fire burning inside of remaining players resulting in increased preparation that is a result of being embarrassed in a major way this season.

most of this is coaching

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
most of this is coaching

Basically agree. You have to feel that turnovers can be reduced via sound coaching. STs should be the same & you could make the same argument for slow starts in most of the games. Passing yards allowed should be reduced via a combination of more talent & more effective coaching.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does that mean Eli Manning threw so many interceptions this year because Tom Coughlin sucks as a coach?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does that mean Eli Manning threw so many interceptions this year because Tom Coughlin sucks as a coach?

either eli didnt take to coaching or the qb coach was ineffective , or he was trying to carry an offense so it doesnt mean it goes to coughlin but a bad OC or QB coach could very well be which would be coaching

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
either eli didnt take to coaching or the qb coach was ineffective , or he was trying to carry an offense so it doesnt mean it goes to coughlin but a bad OC or QB coach could very well be which would be coaching

Or it could be that Eli just played like shit this year. He didn't have the talent around him he has had in the past and it showed. He does not have the pocket awareness or quick release of his brother. He needs a clean pocket and a couple of good WRs. At Eli's age, its less about coaching and more about executing.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Somewhat different situation. Manning has been in the league a very long time & there is not much you can do coaching-wise to change his behavior.

Contrast that to RG3. Remember - he had hardly any INTs his rookie year. Most of the picks this year could be attributed to bad decisions. If he improves his game he should also be able to lower the amt of picks & coaching should play a major role in this.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhat different situation. Manning has been in the league a very long time & there is not much you can do coaching-wise to change his behavior.

Contrast that to RG3. Remember - he had hardly any INTs his rookie year. Most of the picks this year could be attributed to bad decisions. If he improves his game he should also be able to lower the amt of picks & coaching should play a major role in this.

if you ask me RG3 played better then manning

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My post was tongue in cheek. Fans need someone to blame for failure. It takes two forms, it is either the coach or player(s). Coaching is important but more falls on the players than most fans give credit for.

Did Florida State win last night because Jimbo Fisher was the best coach. The answer is no. They won because he had the best team. Talent wins out more than coaching does.

You'd have to say that the Shanahans were great coaches in 2012 and terrible coaches in 2013 to explain how the team played in the past two years. That just doesn't make sense.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My post was tongue in cheek. Fans need someone to blame for failure. It takes two forms, it is either the coach or player(s). Coaching is important but more falls on the players than most fans give credit for.

Did Florida State win last night because Jimbo Fisher was the best coach. The answer is no. They won because he had the best team. Talent wins out more than coaching does.

You'd have to say that the Shanahans were great coaches in 2012 and terrible coaches in 2013 to explain how the team played in the past two years. That just doesn't make sense.

No - that is correct. Talent is the main thing but the coaches have to put players in the best position. I still believe that STs falls more on the coach & you can have pretty good STs without having an insane amt of talent.

The RG3 situation is pretty unique. The problem lies with both the player & the coach. Like I said - if he works hard on his game with the right coach (& checks his ego at the door) the results could be very good.

Also - in your example please don't confuse the college game with the NFL. In the NFL the talent differences between the best and worst teams is relatively small. Contrast that to college where a handful of teams (Alabama, Florida St, Oregon, etc) are way, way more talented than the majority of teams. In that context - recruiting is way more important than coaching & the reason why the high profile guys make the big bucks. In the NFL - no such advantage exists & coaching is much more important.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyhow - in my original post I was simply pointing out that all of these problems are easily correctable. Put it on players, coaches, you, me or whatever you like. I truly believe that there is a lot of reason for hope in these areas due to the change in coaches, an expected addition of significant talent, & leftover players who should be driven due to total embarrassment from this season.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is what I find frustrating. When you are 3-13, its never just one thing. Everyone wants to find that one person to blame. In reality, RG3 has some blame, Shanahan has blame, Snyder has blame, the entire team has blame. Just because we point out weakness and errors in one party doesn't mean we are defending the other party.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is what I find frustrating. When you are 3-13, its never just one thing. Everyone wants to find that one person to blame. In reality, RG3 has some blame, Shanahan has blame, Snyder has blame, the entire team has blame. Just because we point out weakness and errors in one party doesn't mean we are defending the other party.

Exactly. There wasn't one breakdown, there were multiple breakdowns. If you want to go to the most basic reason then turnovers is a big key. As a second I would say STs really hurt also. IMO that was a combination of bad coaching, lack of talent and lack of execution.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. There wasn't one breakdown, there were multiple breakdowns. If you want to go to the most basic reason then turnovers is a big key. As a second I would say STs really hurt also. IMO that was a combination of bad coaching, lack of talent and lack of execution.

Don't disagree at all. That is why we certainly have reason for hope for the coming season. In addition to the coaching & organizational changes the team should also experience an influx of talent due to the additional cap money.

Again - this team was in the playoffs just last season so they at least have some talent. If they add to that talent & use people in optimal ways there is reason to believe that there will be lots of improvement. I am not stating that they will necessarily make a SB run - just that they very well could be much better. This is why it frustrates me to see all of these doom and gloomers (e.g. loudmouth Lavar Arrington) predicting nothing but horrible results for the future.