• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are we looking at a 7-win season?

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it's a matter of the media believing in experience. In both 10 and 11 it looked like we were back, thus we started high, lost in 10 because of starting a freshman QB that then got injured and had to go with poor backups that if I remember correctly also had injuries. Then 11 and 12 our d crumbled because an experienced defense isn't necessarily a talented defense. 13 looked like the year, but t-mart's injury made us play an inexperienced QB and we just didn't muster enough offense as our defense gained footing.

I personally thought this year was going to be like 2009, except for these injuries.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TM was very limited in throws he could make. Beck knew that and kept the pass play calling to within 10-15 yds and generally between the hash marks. JJM once posted some stats that showed TM's completion percentage leading the nation. Problem is they weren't the types of passes that spread the field and D-coordinators had those limitations figured out quickly. They were using Bo's very bend but don't break philosophy in that Nebraska's offense would eventually shoot itself in the foot on a drive. My butthole puckered up every time TM threw a 10 to 15 yd out pattern to the sideline, expecting a pick six. He struggled with that throw because it was an extra 17 yds added to the 10-15. TM had little concept of timing and could not execute screens or draws where there needs to be proper delay to let the play develop. TM's form prevented him from rolling left and throwing with any accuracy.

To sum it up, TM didn't have the QB brain for the game and couldn't make all the throws. He was a safety playing QB. Everybody else who offered him knew that.

I still love Tommy's 99 yard TD toss against Georgia - that was sweet as hell...:10:

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor was almost impossible to defend until he got hurt and realized he was human.

I mean, that is just the way it is. He was so confident in himself that he couldn't be stopped. After he took a couple thumps you could slowly see him become unsure of himself. He hesitated on passes, hesitated to make a decision on the zone read (which he had previously been great at), and became hesitant to accelerate through openings.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last season, Nebraska was plagued with injuries. They got like 5 OL healthy for the Iowa game. They were down to their 3rd string RB (which I think Iowa ended up hurting him as well).

They played UCLA when they were healthy. They lost to Minnesota. They played Michigan State, Michigan, or Penn State.

This season, they don't have to worry about UCLA, Michigan, or Penn State. Instead, they have Miami FL, Rutgers, and Illinois.

If they lose 5 games, that would be embarrassing for them. I think it will be a 2-3 loss season.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
I'm talking about 2012---look up the stats not all of his passing were those short outs as they only made up 42% of his completions---the rest he had reasonable movement on the rest of the field. I am NOT saying by any stretch of the imigaination that he was a great passer just that he could have done better with an OL that could protect his ass better.

How many of those yards were YAC's tho? i.e. a quick 10 yd slant between the hashes where the rcvr picked up another 8-10 yds.

I don't know that's why I'm asking. I just remember the vast majority of his passes being within 10 yds and between the hashes. His percentage there was great because he didn't have to put any touch on the ball. Just a bullet every time.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say give fyfe the nod. Home grown kid wants it more.imo

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point if a kid from GI who hasn't player a snap and has earned this much respect should get to play. Let TA take it to heart and Stanton also for that matter. Big head syndrome with Stanton and TA

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say give fyfe the nod. Home grown kid wants it more.imo

You can want it as much as you want...makes no difference if you don't have the talent. It's real easy to talk up the homegrown walk on during camp. That's much different than trotting him out as a starter week one.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering when the first "Bo needs to start this guy instead of that guy......I don't need to see the practices to know" post of the year was going to come.

Thanks for kicking it off for us, HP. :clap:

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many of those yards were YAC's tho? i.e. a quick 10 yd slant between the hashes where the rcvr picked up another 8-10 yds.

I don't know that's why I'm asking. I just remember the vast majority of his passes being within 10 yds and between the hashes. His percentage there was great because he didn't have to put any touch on the ball. Just a bullet every time.
-------
Like I said, only 42% of his passes were of the short variety. Now insofar as the YAC goes I could pose the same question to you about TMs short passes. Truth be told it's a moot point.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Back when I was much younger, I could really moo! While at the Douglas county fair one night in Omaha, I let out a moo as I was walking by the 4H area with many cow pens nearby. A guy in front of me evidently thought a cow was behind him after my moo, because he turned around extremely fast! His face turned beet red! lol

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
Here's the one thing I don't think people realize, TM had a pretty decent year (his junior year) and we still lost 4 games so I don't believe all the onus of losses falls on his shoulders entirely. IMO the biggest issue yet is an anemic OL. Because once the run is slowed down we're in deep doo-doo.

TM was very limited in throws he could make. Beck knew that and kept the pass play calling to within 10-15 yds and generally between the hash marks. JJM once posted some stats that showed TM's completion percentage leading the nation. Problem is they weren't the types of passes that spread the field and D-coordinators had those limitations figured out quickly. They were using Bo's very bend but don't break philosophy in that Nebraska's offense would eventually shoot itself in the foot on a drive. My butthole puckered up every time TM threw a 10 to 15 yd out pattern to the sideline, expecting a pick six. He struggled with that throw because it was an extra 17 yds added to the 10-15. TM had little concept of timing and could not execute screens or draws where there needs to be proper delay to let the play develop. TM's form prevented him from rolling left and throwing with any accuracy.

To sum it up, TM didn't have the QB brain for the game and couldn't make all the throws. He was a safety playing QB. Everybody else who offered him knew that.

-------
I'm talking about 2012---look up the stats not all of his passing were those short outs as they only made up 42% of his completions---the rest he had reasonable movement on the rest of the field. I am NOT saying by any stretch of the imigaination that he was a great passer just that he could have done better with an OL that could protect his ass better.

How many of those yards were YAC's tho? i.e. a quick 10 yd slant between the hashes where the rcvr picked up another 8-10 yds?

-------
Like I said, only 42% of his passes were of the short variety. Now insofar as the YAC goes I could pose the same question to you about TMs short passes. Truth be told it's a moot point.

OK 472. I'm just going to shut you down before you dig yourself a deeper hole.

You've done a lot of arguing without ever putting up a link, chart, graph or anything to support said rhetoric. You've left me no alternative but to show how you're spreading false information whether it's out of pure ignorance or trolling. So without further ado, here are TM's 2012 numbers.

73.5% of TM's pass attempts were 14 yds or less.

Pass Distribution

<0 yds.... - 12.6%
0-4 yds... - 12.6%
5-9 yds... - 23%
10-14 yds - 25.3%

=................73.5%

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His average Completion Percentage from 14 yds or less was 74.4%

Completion Percentages....

<0 yds... - 81.8%
0-4 yds... - 90.9%
5-9 yds... - 75%
10-14 yds - 50%

Ave........... 74.4%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His average Completion Percentage from 15-24 yds was 13.3%

15-19 yds - 10%
20-24 yds - 16.7%

Ave...........13.3%

His average completion percentage BEYOND 24 yds was 12.3%.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBFrequency.jpg

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I previously stated, he lead the nation with an 82.95 completion % between 0-9 yds.

As a passer he was extremely limited in range. Beck knew it, and defensive coordinators that were worth a shit knew it.

Beck greatly limited him to 0-15 yds between the hash marks.
Defensive coordinators wanted to take that away and force him to beat them beyond that range.

On quick out patterns to the sidelines, If a pass was 10 yds downfield, you had to add approx. 17-20 yds from the hash to the sideline. Therefore it was approx a 27 - 30 yd pass of which he was under 13% completion percentage.

As I stated there were many pick 6's, or near pick 6's, on those sideline passes. He did not have the range or the timing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This chick was as good as TM from 5 yds.

Last edited by a moderator: