• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are Any Teams Bluffing with the Franchise Tag?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Sometimes, teams will only tag a player in hopes that they can trade him for something... anything... so they don't lose the player for only a compensatory pick. However, they really can't afford the cost of the tag and / or don't want to deal with a player holding out until week 5 if the NFL season.

If the player calls the bluff by not signing the tender, it could spell disaster for the season, and sometimes the team will rescind the tag and cut their losses. Carolina did that 2 years ago (Josh Norman).

Are any teams doing that now? :noidea:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami I think is pretty obviously going to trade Landry to someone. They fact they even offered a tag tells me some teams are willing to bite in order to get the first crack at that apple with Miami's cap situation being what it is.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Miami I think is pretty obviously going to trade Landry to someone. They fact they even offered a tag tells me some teams are willing to bite in order to get the first crack at that apple with Miami's cap situation being what it is.

Makes sense now that they acquired Robert Quinn & had the 2nd-lowest cap space in the NFL.