• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

APR Football Scores

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you read the thread, you may come to a different conclusion.

If you weren't reading it with such a defensive posture, you'd come to a different conclusion.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
80th

LMAO!!!!!

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol @ 'The Carolina Way'

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was truly an act of brilliance that LawDawg and you could figure out 'all on your own' that the APR scores related to football and not the university as a whole. :clap:

Yeah, some how I took that in wrong manner and was defensive about it. I thought you were being a cock, not sure why...

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, some how I took that in wrong manner and was defensive about it. I thought you were being a cock, not sure why...

If you and HornsStampede want to play down the Student portion of Student Athlete as being insignificant, that's your business.
Just expect to be called out on it, because you damn well know if Texas was toward the top, we'd all be hearing about the excellence.

9169_6848.gif

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke #1 followed by Northwestern. No surprise there. Now Boise at #3 on the other hand........

4th year in a row that Boise has been top ten. I'll tell you why. When I get a student athlete from any sport in my class, I get regular emails asking for progress reports. The athletes also must have me sign an attendance form. If any grade is C or below, I get another email, and usually a crestfallen and humble student asking what they need to do to improve. When one makes something a priority, it usually gets done.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you and HornsStampede want to play down the Student portion of Student Athlete as being insignificant, that's your business.
Just expect to be called out on it, because you damn well know if Texas was toward the top, we'd all be hearing about the excellence.

9169_6848.gif

Texas football scored a perfect 1000 for the 2012-13 season. I still dont give a shit. It is a BS stat. That serves to placate the masses. It does nothing to measure the quality of education.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas football scored a perfect 1000 for the 2012-13 season. I still dont give a shit. It is a BS stat. That serves to placate the masses. It does nothing to measure the quality of education.

The "quality education" difference between your average M.I.S. major and "student athlete" are quite different.......wouldn't you agree?

Let's parse the bullshit here....most CFB "student athletes" aren't flossing and flying MENSA applications out now, are they?

Just think of the "baby steps" courses these guise are getting...AND THEY STILL CAN'T FIND SOME WAY TO EXCEL.

You can choose to ignore it, but it is a problem.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do students going pro help your score? Means they got a quality education in something they actually care about....

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

9169_6848.gif

I think what they are saying is, when it comes to football players, everybody knows the majority of them are too stupid to get into any college, if it wasn't for them being talented. Put it in this perspective: Yes, NU has a better APR than Texas does, but everybody knows from an overall academic standpoint, the University of Texas is far more prestigious than Nebraska could ever be. It's like comparing Harvard to the University of Phoenix.....

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas fans are 3 for 3 (batting 1000) in deflecting from the real point of the thread and article which is Football Student Athletes . :lol:

One does not get a worse APR grade because others get better grades. It's not a sliding scale. They are all graded equally by the same standard, hence the ties.

Texas Football logged a score that is 80th in FBS.

Think about that the next time a Texas blowhard is on here spouting "academic excellence", "partial qualifiers" and berating your team of choice.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas fans are 3 for 3 (batting 1000) in deflecting from the real point of the thread and article which is Football Student Athletes . :lol:

One does not get a worse APR grade because others get better grades. It's not a sliding scale. They are all graded equally by the same standard, hence the ties.

Texas Football logged a score that is 80th in FBS.

Think about that the next time a Texas blowhard is on here spouting "academic excellence", "partial qualifiers" and berating your team of choice.

Actually I was speaking about the topic on hand. You happen to be attempting to turn this into a NEb v Texas thing, which I think pretty much everyone on the this board is tired of seeing. Never been rivals and do not play each other, perhaps it is time to move on.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I was speaking about the topic on hand. You happen to be attempting to turn this into a NEb v Texas thing, which I think pretty much everyone on the this board is tired of seeing. Never been rivals and do not play each other, perhaps it is time to move on.

No, I'm pointing out that Texas fans are 3 for 3 in demeaning the academic accomplishments of other football programs. If the tables were turned and Texas was at the top we'd never hear the end of it. You, I, and everybody else on this board knows that.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'm pointing out that Texas fans are 3 for 3 in demeaning the academic accomplishments of other football programs. If the tables were turned and Texas was at the top we'd never hear the end of it. You, I, and everybody else on this board knows that.

Who was demeaned? I stated the APR was a sham. Not sure how that was demeaning. If Cal is the worst school in the PAC, it's hard to take APR as "academic accomplishment" seriously

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was demeaned? I stated the APR was a sham. Not sure how that was demeaning. If Cal is the worst school in the PAC, it's hard to take APR as "academic accomplishment" seriously

Corn boy can't comprehend what you're trying to say :L

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Codaxx, it is rare that I disagree with you, but, the fact that UCB is at the bottom of the PAC actually shows the opposite. Under Tedford UCB was using their exemptions for ACT/SAT exclusively for football and basketball. Additionally, they were bringing in many JC transfers with minimum qualifications. Their APR score is reflective of what happens when an elite academic institution (and trust me it hurts to admit Berkley is an elite school) admits students who fall below their normal admission requirements. They admitted kids that had no hope of competing in the courses the university offered.

I hold no false beliefs on this, I know at the majority of the big schools the name should be athlete-student not student athlete. Places like Stanford, Penn State, ND, NW etc. examples of Student-Athlete oriented programs.

You are right though APR, is a suspect measure. I prefer the GSR's for evaluating academic performance. If any of you have not read it, the Bootleg runs an annual report on GSR/APR's. What really is startling for some of the bottom schools is not only the comparison of athlete graduation rates to the general student population, but the ethnic divide in the athletes' graduation rates. Some of these schools should be ashamed of how few of their African-American athletes graduate compared to the Caucasian students.

Scout.com - College and High School Football, Basketball, Recruiting, NFL, and MLB Front Page

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Codaxx, it is rare that I disagree with you, but, the fact that UCB is at the bottom of the PAC actually shows the opposite. Under Tedford UCB was using their exemptions for ACT/SAT exclusively for football and basketball. Additionally, they were bringing in many JC transfers with minimum qualifications. Their APR score is reflective of what happens when an elite academic institution (and trust me it hurts to admit Berkley is an elite school) admits students who fall below their normal admission requirements. They admitted kids that had no hope of competing in the courses the university offered.

I hold no false beliefs on this, I know at the majority of the big schools the name should be athlete-student not student athlete. Places like Stanford, Penn State, ND, NW etc. examples of Student-Athlete oriented programs.

You are right though APR, is a suspect measure. I prefer the GSR's for evaluating academic performance. If any of you have not read it, the Bootleg runs an annual report on GSR/APR's. What really is startling for some of the bottom schools is not only the comparison of athlete graduation rates to the general student population, but the ethnic divide in the athletes' graduation rates. Some of these schools should be ashamed of how few of their African-American athletes graduate compared to the Caucasian students.

Scout.com - College and High School Football, Basketball, Recruiting, NFL, and MLB Front Page

I think your pt is a valid one. What the CAL numbers could be reflecting is an influx of unqualified "student-athletes". It is an admission issue more than an academic issue. I am not sure Cal is alone here. Average SAT score is ~200 pts lower for football players vs students. Knowing that information, intuitively you would expect schools with high educational standards to score lower. That is why I find the number to be of little to no use.