• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anyone watching A Season with Notre Dame?

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I know it's a little bit harder with student-athletes, but I thought that was the whole point of the week of practice up to the game; was to gameplan for certain things (like the good ol' student body left/right from USC) and maybe even working on that wrinkle that would be used to trip up the other team looking to take away something from our bread and butter.

Fundamentals and scheme. I'd be real curious to know if they 'practiced' against the Spread Option/Triple Option that Johnson runs. I'd forgotten he coached Navy before going to Ga. Tech. You know I wouldn't be sad to have Navy go on hiatus for Michigan again if we're going to be playing Ga. Tech every other year or so. Greg Mattison was the best I've seen at scheming against it for ND. Though I had no idea what that was all about when I was a wee lad so I have no idea how we did before the late 80s and early 90s.
I heard they have a scout guy on the team that they keep specifically to immitate the triple option. I'd have to go back and check the story on that. I don't think you can adequately practice for it in a week, and that's why teams like Ga Tech and Navy are so hard to defend.

Used to be, you could get by letting Navy get its yards. They weren't going to stop you on defense anyway. You don't have that luxury against Ga Tech.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard they have a scout guy on the team that they keep specifically to immitate the triple option. I'd have to go back and check the story on that. I don't think you can adequately practice for it in a week, and that's why teams like Ga Tech and Navy are so hard to defend.

Used to be, you could get by letting Navy get its yards. They weren't going to stop you on defense anyway. You don't have that luxury against Ga Tech.

I agree for the most part. I was reading this Key Matchups: ND D vs. GT O. Now obviously there's a lot of assignments that have to be kept to and people to be disciplined (Safeties) but with us having a possible strength in the middle my philosophy in this one would be to absolutely take away the middle and force the pitch/pass from the QB. This kid is like 189 lbs. There's no way he's going to be playing the keeper like Crouch used to do to us, that kid is going to pitch it more often than not, or we punish him. It'll be interesting to see which happens but my hunch is that he's going to be looking to pitch it instead of keep.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes but Kelly said they worked on it in the spring and summer camp because they had 2 teams that run it on their schedule. So its not like they are only practicing this for 1 week.

I guess we will find out tomorrow.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree for the most part. I was reading this Key Matchups: ND D vs. GT O. Now obviously there's a lot of assignments that have to be kept to and people to be disciplined (Safeties) but with us having a possible strength in the middle my philosophy in this one would be to absolutely take away the middle and force the pitch/pass from the QB. This kid is like 189 lbs. There's no way he's going to be playing the keeper like Crouch used to do to us, that kid is going to pitch it more often than not, or we punish him. It'll be interesting to see which happens but my hunch is that he's going to be looking to pitch it instead of keep.
What I also hate about these match ups we are get 1 big injury from playing this kind of offense. Lets hope we can have 1 healthy week.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I also hate about these match ups we are get 1 big injury from playing this kind of offense. Lets hope we can have 1 healthy week.
True. Look at teams' performances the week after Navy, especially ND's. We've struggled a lot in years' past the week after that game. Guys get banged up taking dives at their knees for 4 quarters. Curious who the genius was that put Navy the week before USC.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I hadn't realized Johnson had moved to Ga Tech from Navy (I guess I don't follow closely enough, hand in too many fires) but if I was scheduling and knew that, Navy would be off the table, considering we're going to have to play Ga. Tech every so often with this new ACC deal. Damn cut blocks. Maybe I'll have to make my own makeshift grotto and light a candle myself! We've had enough injury and we haven't even faced our two highest likelihood of injury opponents yet! GAH!

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh btw, have ya'll taken a look at Ga. Tech's roster? I counted around 15 OL. TONS of OL on their squad. I wonder if that'll play into fatigue as the game wears on with our DL rotation, especially considering guys like Tillery not having much experience against this scheme?

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh btw, have ya'll taken a look at Ga. Tech's roster? I counted around 15 OL. TONS of OL on their squad. I wonder if that'll play into fatigue as the game wears on with our DL rotation, especially considering guys like Tillery not having much experience against this scheme?
I'd be more concerned that something like 18 of their 22 starters are seniors and 5th year guys. That's a looong time in the system. They can run all these plays in their sleep and have plenty of expereince. A couple of the remaining underclassmen also have experience as they were starters last year as well. I think we're hitting Ga Tech at its peak. With graduation next year, they'll probably have a less-expereinced bunch. Seems like Ga Tech and Navy do that. Build up, and then graduate and then start over. Recall Navy's 2010 team was loaded with experienced guys who could run the triple option (Dobbs, Teitch, etc.) Then there was a big drop off in production in 2011 and 2012, but again the last 2 years going into this year, they have a veteran QB with lots of starts.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't shock me if we see more Cage this week then Tillery just because of the scheme that we are playing.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I don't like the way this is shaping up fellas. We're a dog in our own house, they're looking to be at their best and we're scrambling. Not even sure Rudy can inspire me to think we're going to win this game. I hope so but the odds look stacked against us!

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I don't like the way this is shaping up fellas. We're a dog in our own house, they're looking to be at their best and we're scrambling. Not even sure Rudy can inspire me to think we're going to win this game. I hope so but the odds look stacked against us!
We are top ten team, playing a team outside the top 10, and we're at home and we're the dog. I can't remember another time in my lifetime when that was the case.

Its times like this when one's mettle is tested. Kelly calls this his deepest and most talented team to date at ND. He's had 6 years to work in his system, his guys, his coaches. There really are no excuses, injuries be damned (yes I know they are key injuries). One can argue we are out-talented by only a few teams, and only one is remaining on our schedule (USC). If he can't get them fired up and motivated to ram it down everyone's throat thats not giving them a chance, I got nothing else to say.

Given who we lose next year, even with a watered down schedule, we are going to go back to somewhat of a rebuilding mode and, probably, a QB controversy to boot. Something about this year has a now or never feel to it, and part of me thinks Kelly knows this. Like I said, if that isn't enough for him to draw a command performance, I don't know what is.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are top ten team, playing a team outside the top 10, and we're at home and we're the dog. I can't remember another time in my lifetime when that was the case.

Its times like this when one's mettle is tested. Kelly calls this his deepest and most talented team to date at ND. He's had 6 years to work in his system, his guys, his coaches. There really are no excuses, injuries be damned (yes I know they are key injuries). One can argue we are out-talented by only a few teams, and only one is remaining on our schedule (USC). If he can't get them fired up and motivated to ram it down everyone's throat thats not giving them a chance, I got nothing else to say.

Given who we lose next year, even with a watered down schedule, we are going to go back to somewhat of a rebuilding mode and, probably, a QB controversy to boot. Something about this year has a now or never feel to it, and part of me thinks Kelly knows this. Like I said, if that isn't enough for him to draw a command performance, I don't know what is.
He needs to be like its "US and against the world" mentality. This team can still be good.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia Tech has covered the spread in like 9 straight games or something, and Vegas isn't always right.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to ESPN and their "FPI" (Football Power Index?) The Irish have a 68% chance of beating the Wreck.

I guess I was worried about nothing... those aren't the worst odds I've ever seen (or taken). I want to be absolutely wrong and see the Irish win but I just don't know if with everything that's happened that is going to be the case. With Zaire, I'd say a W was likely and expected. With a semi-unknown frosh QB starting his first game, at Home? I feel the team has to play as a complete team the next few games. If we manage to come away with a W and fairly unscathed in the injury department, having UMass next week could lead to some good things, allows Kizer to have a less pressure filled game versus what should be an inferior opponent (not that Kelly's teams make any inferior opponent actually look it) could do wonders for him going into Clemson. I think we have a better shot at beating Clemson than we may have vs. Ga. Tech.

Anyway... like JJC said, there really is no excuse. Kelly said it too so we're going to know in about 12 hours if the problem is Kelly or in between the shoulders of our beloved student-athletes. Hopin' for a win, but bracing for a day of frustration and wishing I had a direct line to the coach's box. :hope:

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to ESPN and their "FPI" (Football Power Index?) The Irish have a 68% chance of beating the Wreck.
"Well when you're right 52% of the time, you're wrong 48% of the time."

--Fake Jimmy the Greek on the Simpsons

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mornin JC.

Haven't heard that name (Da Greek) in a while! 5 out of 7 CBS prognosticators picked GT. Heck even Aaron Taylor picked GT on whatever this show is on ESPN before Gameday and 3 of 4 of those folks picked GT. I'd like for them all (including me) to be 100% wrong on just this one. :D

I bet that homer Herbie picks GT too probably Desmond too, Corso's pick will be interesting.

Are we geeked up yet or do we need some morning stimulants first?

Go Irish!

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mornin JC.

Haven't heard that name (Da Greek) in a while! 5 out of 7 CBS prognosticators picked GT. Heck even Aaron Taylor picked GT on whatever this show is on ESPN before Gameday and 3 of 4 of those folks picked GT. I'd like for them all (including me) to be 100% wrong on just this one. :D

I bet that homer Herbie picks GT too probably Desmond too, Corso's pick will be interesting.

Are we geeked up yet or do we need some morning stimulants first?

Go Irish!
Back at ya. I definitely need stimulants. Dragging this morning.

All you need to know about the Gameday crew was their unanimous picking of Michigan last year. And I'll leave it at that.

ND_loyal son

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Gameday this morning I saw David Pollack and Trevor Matich both picked GT too. Let's hope our guys are motivated by being a home dog while ranked in the top 10. I'd like to see them come out angry, focused and just out-physical the Yellow Jackets from the opening kickoff until the final whistle.

GO IRISH! Beat GT!

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I love this show. Its great to see some of the inside things that go on. It makes me feel like Im part of the team. Its great to get to know some of the coaches. Im really liking sanford. I also want to give Kelly some credit. man that guy has some good speeches.

Again it ends with sadness with dru getting hurt and accepting the game ball. Great speech. I know he will think about that injury for awhile but hope he comes back stronger then ever.

On to UMass.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is the 2nd episode out yet on that link? I don't get showtime..