• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anyone notice how terrible Joe Staley was?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't get to see all of the game unfortunately, but when i went back and looked at the 2 plays Alex Smith was sacked, Joe Staley gave up both of them. Then on the interception Staley got beat again. I know the line as a whole did terrible, but Joe Staley is really starting to concern me. I thought he was the guy we could depend upon.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He definitely didn't do anything to support him! He was missing his assignments(or he & Iupati had a fight and aren't on speaking terms) and when he did get his man, he was beaten via speed or pushed back.

It's quite concering since he's suppose to be our best OL.... well maybe Iupati has that locked up.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I noticed! He's been attrocious this preseason.

I've been worried about him for years, but this year if he doesn't start playing like a franchise LT he needs to move to a different position or a different team. Some of the old BSPN members gave me crap about questioning Staley a couple of years ago..

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I didn't get to see all of the game unfortunately, but when i went back and looked at the 2 plays Alex Smith was sacked, Joe Staley gave up both of them. Then on the interception Staley got beat again. I know the line as a whole did terrible, but Joe Staley is really starting to concern me. I thought he was the guy we could depend upon.

although i'm fine with Staley as a late 1st rounder, never thought of him as a permanent fixture at LT? so its good he's holding it down somewhat, but first chance we get....do upgrade. this 'chance' may not happen next couple of years so hopefully Staley is at least 'above average'?

can't help but think Baalke/Singletary projected Anthony Davis to be that guy? of course now that we've seen him play, maybe not, but AT THE TIME you don't trade up to #11 thinking he's a career RT. plus, Davis played LT thru college.

next off-season, Davis should get a chance at LT during OTA's and TC. if it doesn't have potential, then end the experiment.

we're thankful Boone is at least a capable back-up as back-ups go, but not getting ahead of him as a future starter.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've been worried about him for years, but this year if he doesn't start playing like a franchise LT he needs to move to a different position or a different team. Some of the old BSPN members gave me crap about questioning Staley a couple of years ago..

I remember you complaining about him. Honestly at the time i wasn't as concerned, but it definitely has my attention now. If he doesn't improve a move back to RT might be needed.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
although i'm fine with Staley as a late 1st rounder, never thought of him as a permanent fixture at LT? so its good he's holding it down somewhat, but first chance we get....do upgrade. this 'chance' may not happen next couple of years so hopefully Staley is at least 'above average'?

can't help but think Baalke/Singletary projected Anthony Davis to be that guy? of course now that we've seen him play, maybe not, but AT THE TIME you don't trade up to #11 thinking he's a career RT. plus, Davis played LT thru college.

next off-season, Davis should get a chance at LT during OTA's and TC. if it doesn't have potential, then end the experiment.

we're thankful Boone is at least a capable back-up as back-ups go, but not getting ahead of him as a future starter.

Nice post deep and very well put. I never liked Davis, but moving up to draft him with the hopes of him being able to fill in at LT would have made a lot more sense. I didn't think it was necessary at the time because i thought Staley had it on lock, but right now I want to see Boone in with the first unit for the final pre season game. He's looked solid against 2nd and 3rd stringers, but i would like to see if he could do any better.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

think i know one you're referring too, the main poster anyway. this topic has come up prior to last two drafts, MAYBE three?

of course we don't want to sink yet another 1st into an LT, but if a potential franchise LT is there....franchise....he's likely our BPA? if so, hard to pass up.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nice post deep and very well put. I never liked Davis, but moving up to draft him with the hopes of him being able to fill in at LT would have made a lot more sense. I didn't think it was necessary at the time because i thought Staley had it on lock, but right now I want to see Boone in with the first unit for the final pre season game. He's looked solid against 2nd and 3rd stringers, but i would like to see if he could do any better.

agree on Boone, do let him play more next game

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been there with you Sick. Staley has been on a steady decline for two seasons. It doesn't look like he is trending back up either.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LT - Davis LG - Iupati C - Goodwin RG - Rachal RT - Boone

I honestly believe that's our best configuration.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've been there with you Sick. Staley has been on a steady decline for two seasons. It doesn't look like he is trending back up either.

Surely his injuries in the past 2 season has affected his play whether it's in a physical nature or mental... The mental blocks are the ones that is hardest to overcome. In practices, he may look good but in actual games he will have this fear of getting hurt again so he will be timid or late in his reaction...

The NIners' need to figure out what is wrong with him or move on

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LT - Davis LG - Iupati C - Goodwin RG - Rachal RT - Boone

I honestly believe that's our best configuration.

and if they find it is, no problem here.

but i'd first try Staley back at RT before Boone. i'd give Boone practice reps at LT, to REALLY see what he can do there?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
but i'd first try Staley back at RT before Boone. i'd give Boone practice reps at LT, to REALLY see what he can do there?

I'd give Boone reps on the fry machine. I don't see why anyone would see him as anything but a poor man's Adam Snyder.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed Smith wasn't stepping up in the pocket when he got hit before he even completed his drop-back. Unacceptable

[/sarcasm]

Seriously though, Staley is becoming a huge liability. He's suppose to be one of the better guys on the O-Line, not the worst.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Some peopel saw Staley shut down Demarcus Ware one game and then annointed him the franchise LT. Kind of like some other people were calling Troy Smith the franchise QB after beating the 2nd worst team in the NFL in London.

I don't get Staley. He lacks nothing in terms of athleticism, size, strangth & work ethic. Maybe he just can't think fast enough for the spee dof the game. If both he & Davis fail I'd move him to RT and Davis to RG. Rachal would probably leave in FA for more money than he'd get in SF.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I know his pocket presence is just horrible!

What??? That's ridiculoius. You don't throw for 2.8 TDs with horrile pocket presense...

Oh wait, that wasn't his TD total, that was his passer rating. Sorry. I retract my statement.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some peopel saw Staley shut down Demarcus Ware one game and then annointed him the franchise LT. Kind of like some other people were calling Troy Smith the franchise QB after beating the 2nd worst team in the NFL in London.

I don't get Staley. He lacks nothing in terms of athleticism, size, strangth & work ethic. Maybe he just can't think fast enough for the spee dof the game. If both he & Davis fail I'd move him to RT and Davis to RG. Rachal would probably leave in FA for more money than he'd get in SF.

I don't get it, Staley did a lot of good things early in his career. Now he just seems to be involved on nearly every miscommunication on the line. Is this because the 49ers are futzing around with two centers instead of just naming one of them the starter? Maybe. The O-Line is one of those things in football that succeed as a unit, not as an individual. When the center is undecided, I have to believe that hurts an offensive line more than anything else.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He may just be mailing it in for the preseason, so I won't throw him all the way under the bus for now. But this year is his last chance IMO.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get it, Staley did a lot of good things early in his career. Now he just seems to be involved on nearly every miscommunication on the line. Is this because the 49ers are futzing around with two centers instead of just naming one of them the starter? Maybe. The O-Line is one of those things in football that succeed as a unit, not as an individual. When the center is undecided, I have to believe that hurts an offensive line more than anything else.

Injuries, have to be the reason for the decline in performance. In the past two season, Staley has missed a total of 14 games and last season he fractured his leg. Hopefully, it's just rust and he improves more PT.