• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anybody play defense in the NCAA anymore?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just go watch any classic game from any of your teams from the 80's or 90's and notice the difference.

Rules for sure favor the offense largely because you can't really hit anyone anymore.

Game pace is quite a bit faster. This will always favor the offense. Old games are almost painful to watch they are so slow..

Depth and complexity of offensive schemes and the diversity within conferences has grown massively over the last 20 years. Tall order to build a defense that can handle every type of offense anymore.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West Virginia QB Will Grier doesn’t see big difference between Big 12, SEC

Joe Buettner
@Joe_Buettner
Posted 21 mins ago
West Virginia quarterback Will Grier has a broader perspective than most when it comes to college football conferences.

Grier originally went to Florida before transferring to West Virginia after the 2015 season, and during an interview on ESPN’s Campus Conversations podcast, Grier was asked if he noticed any tangible differences between the Big 12 and SEC.

For starters, Grier doesn’t think Big 12 defenses get enough credit.

“These first couple of games, these Big 12 defense, I don’t know if they’re better this year than they have been in the past, but it’s been a fight,” Grier said on the podcast. “We’ve played some really good defenses and every game. TCU was a really good defense. Texas Tech’s a really good defense.

“These aren’t, I mean these teams aren’t just showing up without a defense. I don’t know if it’s been different in the past, but we’ve played some really good defenses so far and we will in the future. Big 12 as a whole is really good this year.”

Grier continued to speak on the matter and said he doesn’t see much of a difference between the two leagues, despite the SEC’s more competitive reputation.

“As far as differences, there’s not a whole lot to me,” Grier said. “… It was fun playing in the SEC. It’s interesting, because in the SEC there was this hype about it, that it’s the best league in the country or it’s the best conference in the country, whatever. It’s part of the reason that I went to Florida. I wanted to play with the best.

“But to be honest, there’s not a whole lot of difference in mind between them and anybody else I’ve played so far this year. It’s playing football, and there’s a lot of good players all over the country and a lot of good conferences. And I think you’re starting to see it balance itself out across the country, so I don’t see much of a difference.”

West Virginia is 4-2 (2-1 Big 12) this season with contests already played against ACC foe Virginia Tech, TCU and Texas Tech. The Mountaineers are at Baylor on Saturday at 8 p.m. ET on Fox Sports 1.

Before y'all get real excited, Will Grier played 6 games at Florida...New Mexico St, East Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi and Missouri...not exactly defensive juggernauts.

That, plus what were you expecting him to say...