• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Any of you guys knowledgeable about television purchases?

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I buy top quality because I don't buy often.

Reports I have read say the average TV is replaced every 5 years.

My Panasonic Plasmas are 14 and 15...no 13 and 14 years old.

The 58” Panny plasma I dispensed with when I bought this latest batch was purchased in 2007. Logged a lot of hours, I watch a hell of a lot of TV. Also dispensed with a 50” Panny plasma purchased in 2006. So 16 and 17 years. And I still have a 42” in my wife’s sewing room.

Both were still operational and I gave them to a guy down the street.

But both pale in comparison to my new 3.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we will never see it... But i would love to see a report showing if big named brands are really better than lesser named... and what the real difference is...

i would bet it is not that much.... especially if you are someone that uses smart devices not already built in... like a roku or a fire stick

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m a simple man, I have a 65” TCL Roku TV I bought for $378 last year. Works great for me.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m a simple man, I have a 65” TCL Roku TV I bought for $378 last year. Works great for me.
This is the way. Buy TCL Roku tvs. Churn and burn them. You won't feel bad about replacing them every couple of years to stay up with the latest tech while your neighbor who dropped 3 large on the latest and greatest is outdated in six months.

Great picture, great streaming options, simple menu, and the best budget pick out there. What's not to like?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the way. Buy TCL Roku tvs. Churn and burn them. You won't feel bad about replacing them every couple of years to stay up with the latest tech while your neighbor who dropped 3 large on the latest and greatest is outdated in six months.

Great picture, great streaming options, simple menu, and the best budget pick out there. What's not to like?
TVs have become impulse buys.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TVs have become impulse buys.
And I'm someone who likes "nice" things too.

But the peace of mind knowing that when my 4yo chucks a golf ball across the living room (again) and breaks the TV (again) I know I'm not going to lose my mind is priceless.

And I can't reiterate enough how great of a user experience the tcl roku is. I have had friends and family with smart tvs so unusable that I can't even get through them. But my 4 yo can navigate ours with ease.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But the peace of mind knowing that when my 4yo chucks a golf ball across the living room (again) and breaks the TV (again) I know I'm not going to lose my mind is priceless.

And I can't reiterate enough how great of a user experience the tcl roku is. I have had friends and family with smart tvs so unusable that I can't even get through them. But my 4 yo can navigate ours with ease.
Like I said, I bought a 75’ TCL about 6 mo ago for approx $500. Great pic and sound, and if the technology changes in the next 3 years, I can get a new beast without breaking a sweat (outside of the sweat created during unpacking and installation).

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go to Walmart.

Buy one.

Done.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All the burnt out TV's going to the landfill maybe?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Golf ball to TV ...Ouch.

My son wrote on the wall with a sharpie when he was three. I got home from work and he said "Daddy, look what I did" in a very matter of fact voice.
I went and looked at the mural in the upstairs hallway.
I looked at it. I looked down at him.
He looked up at me. He looked down.

He never wrote on the wall again, with anything.

Funny how a look can do that but scolding cannot.
He's 20 now and knows that his artistry impresses me daily. But no matter what I say or do he cannot lock doors or turn lights off behind him..

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golf ball to TV ...Ouch.

My son wrote on the wall with a sharpie when he was three. I got home from work and he said "Daddy, look what I did" in a very matter of fact voice.
I went and looked at the mural in the upstairs hallway.
I looked at it. I looked down at him.
He looked up at me. He looked down.

He never wrote on the wall again, with anything.

Funny how a look can do that but scolding cannot.
He's 20 now and knows that his artistry impresses me daily. But no matter what I say or do he cannot lock doors or turn lights off behind him..
Disappointment hits deeper than anger.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OLED looks SIGNIFICANTLY better than LCD.
LG makes the absolute best looking TV's right now from a hardware standpoint.
Samsung is OK and in the same ballpark.
Sony is probably slightly trailing those 2, but still much better than LCD. Sony also seems to have the best software inside from image processing to user interface and some cool features like Dolby formats and the best auto optimization. Sony is also the most expensive.

If you're willing to spend a couple hundred extra to get it professionally calibrated the LG is an easy choice. If you're willing to spend 5-10+ hours or more reading up on settings and finding a calibration program and then tweaking things, the LG probably still the best choice. If you want plug and play but still want the best probably Sony. If Samsung is on sale though or something, not a big enough difference to avoid them or anything.

Even without optimizing, the OLED tvs will still all look better than LCD, or it's variations that they try and trick you with like QLED or regular LED.

There's lots of variations in LCD TV's, some can cost as much or more than OLED, some can be cheaper than a good dinner. For the most part you get what you pay for. I've had terrible luck with Vizio, but i know people who swear by them. Picture quality of many models can rival the top tier brands. But their quality control doesn't seem to be as good, and I had 3 different ones just die on me before I decided to stop.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OLED looks SIGNIFICANTLY better than LCD.
LG makes the absolute best looking TV's right now from a hardware standpoint.
Samsung is OK and in the same ballpark.
Sony is probably slightly trailing those 2, but still much better than LCD. Sony also seems to have the best software inside from image processing to user interface and some cool features like Dolby formats and the best auto optimization. Sony is also the most expensive.

If you're willing to spend a couple hundred extra to get it professionally calibrated the LG is an easy choice. If you're willing to spend 5-10+ hours or more reading up on settings and finding a calibration program and then tweaking things, the LG probably still the best choice. If you want plug and play but still want the best probably Sony. If Samsung is on sale though or something, not a big enough difference to avoid them or anything.

Even without optimizing, the OLED tvs will still all look better than LCD, or it's variations that they try and trick you with like QLED or regular LED.

There's lots of variations in LCD TV's, some can cost as much or more than OLED, some can be cheaper than a good dinner. For the most part you get what you pay for. I've had terrible luck with Vizio, but i know people who swear by them. Picture quality of many models can rival the top tier brands. But their quality control doesn't seem to be as good, and I had 3 different ones just die on me before I decided to stop.

Neo QLED is superb and not quite as expensive as OLED which is a hair better. But both blow the doors off of anything else.

Sony just takes an LG panel and puts their gadgets on it. It's basically LG and Samsung making all the high end panels.