• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Any of you guys knowledgeable about television purchases?

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
External ports are VERY important. Take inventory of your CURRENT needs and then think about potential upgrades you may do in the next couple years and make sure you have the expand ability to accommodate those upgrades. Sound bar? Gaming console? Internet (cat5/cat6 vs Wi-Fi)? ROKU/Fire/Apple (TCL has ROKU built in)? Cable/sat connection?
This point cannot be emphasized enough. HDMI ports can be used up IN A HURRY if you aren’t aware of the needs associated with them. Once I got done with the DirecTV box, Sound Bar & the DVD player (still use it) I was left with one for the 4K Fire Stick and the Apple TV box (4K as well). Ended up getting a 4 port 4K HDMI switch to address those devices as well as the XBox my grandson brings over from time to time.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And those were 4 x 3.
True dat

I remember the old console my grandparents had. It was a sign of achieving manhood among their grandsons when we were old enough to lift a corner of it off the floor.

My dad was the cheapest skate. We never owned anything bigger than a 19, and it was probably a castoff from another family member who had upgraded.

I'm pretty much the same; our LR set is a 20 year old Vizio that we got from some neighbors who were moving out of the country. I couldn't tell you how big the screen is but it's on the smaller side. Maybe a 40-ish? I don't even know what the denominations are these days.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True dat

I remember the old console my grandparents had. It was a sign of achieving manhood among their grandsons when we were old enough to lift a corner of it off the floor.

My dad was the cheapest skate. We never owned anything bigger than a 19, and it was probably a castoff from another family member who had upgraded.

I'm pretty much the same; our LR set is a 20 year old Vizio that we got from some neighbors who were moving out of the country. I couldn't tell you how big the screen is but it's on the smaller side. Maybe a 40-ish? I don't even know what the denominations are these days.

Just before plasmas, LCDs really became a thing I picked up at 4 x 3 36 inch Sony Wega XBR.

Cost me $5000 more or less. Weighed almost 300 pounds. I had it may be four years and I tossed it and bought a 50 inch plasma. But for a period of time it was a great TV. Until it just wasn’t any freaking good anymore. Or good enough rather. Made a great boat anchor though.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This point cannot be emphasized enough. HDMI ports can be used up IN A HURRY if you aren’t aware of the needs associated with them. Once I got done with the DirecTV box, Sound Bar & the DVD player (still use it) I was left with one for the 4K Fire Stick and the Apple TV box (4K as well). Ended up getting a 4 port 4K HDMI switch to address those devices as well as the XBox my grandson brings over from time to time.

All my HDMI connections are made in my receiver. I have six there. And then one only goes to my TV.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All my HDMI connections are made in my receiver. I have six there. And then one only goes to my TV.
I gave up the receiver when we did the home remodel. Went with the sound bar solely indoors. I can tether my devices to it so little was lost. I did reallocate my Polk Audio speakers outside for the TV on the patio but I bought a small Bluetooth receiver I can use them with.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave up the receiver when we did the home remodel. Went with the sound bar solely indoors. I can tether my devices to it so little was lost. I did reallocate my Polk Audio speakers outside for the TV on the patio but I bought a small Bluetooth receiver I can use them with.

The patio is where I have my sound bar. Fits under the projector screen perfectly.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its mind numbing the options. I don't watch enough TV to know the specifics on things. I see the same TV basically and see vastly different prices.....If anyone knows a thing or two, and has some suggestions.....I would greatly appreciate it.
OLED.
Pros;
Wider viewing angle than LED or QLED, better picture and deeper blacks for better contrast.

Cons;
Not as bright. This only matters if you are watching TV in the bright sunlight or under metal halide lights at Best Buy.

Sony or LG.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sony or LG.
Sony is probably at the top for quality, but you certainly pay for that quality AND reputation. LG (along with Samsung) are both quality brands, and probably offer better quality per dollar than Sony. TCL is lower end than those three, but they probably offer the absolute best quality/$ of them all. I have 2 TCL TVs (‘35 and ‘75) and I am very happy with both purchases.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sony is probably at the top for quality, but you certainly pay for that quality AND reputation. LG (along with Samsung) are both quality brands, and probably offer better quality per dollar than Sony. TCL is lower end than those three, but they probably offer the absolute best quality/$ of them all. I have 2 TCL TVs (‘35 and ‘75) and I am very happy with both purchases.
Sony #1 and LG #2.

I will not buy Samsung because they jerked me around so long and so hard on a washer I bought many years ago. They did end up giving me my money back on the washer, but not the extended warranty I had to buy twice.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I buy top quality because I don't buy often.

Reports I have read say the average TV is replaced every 5 years.

My Panasonic Plasmas are 14 and 15...no 13 and 14 years old.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I buy top quality because I don't buy often.

Reports I have read say the average TV is replaced every 5 years.

My Panasonic Plasmas are 14 and 15...no 13 and 14 years old.
I look for the $$ sweet spot. I also keep my TVs WAY longer than I should, but going to the top end quality wise introduces ridiculous mark ups, and you are potentially buying features you don’t want. Buying a top-of-the-line TV 7 years ago meant you were throwing money at a 3D TV, and I knew that was a stupid fad that wouldn’t last more than MAYBE 2 years.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look for the $$ sweet spot. I also keep my TVs WAY longer than I should, but going to the top end quality wise introduces ridiculous mark ups, and you are potentially buying features you don’t want. Buying a top-of-the-line TV 7 years ago meant you were throwing money at a 3D TV, and I knew that was a stupid fad that wouldn’t last more than MAYBE 2 years.
Yeah, both my Panasonics were the previous years top of the line marked down. I got the best processors and best screens for the time without paying for the latest plastic around the edge.

Then the next year...Panasonic got out of the American TV market.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, both my Panasonics were the previous years top of the line marked down. I got the best processors and best screens for the time without paying for the latest plastic around the edge.

Then the next year...Panasonic got out of the American TV market.
Which is too bad. Panasonic was quality. I had a GREAT Panasonic tube TV when I was in college that lasted me until just about 10 years ago (I gave it away for free on Craigslist because it still worked perfectly).

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is too bad. Panasonic was quality. I had a GREAT Panasonic tube TV when I was in college that lasted me until just about 10 years ago (I gave it away for free on Craigslist because it still worked perfectly).
Their OLED may be the best set available right now.

If you live anywhere but the US