• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Any of you guys knowledgeable about television purchases?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its mind numbing the options. I don't watch enough TV to know the specifics on things. I see the same TV basically and see vastly different prices.....If anyone knows a thing or two, and has some suggestions.....I would greatly appreciate it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you mostly watch sports on TV?

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I replaced my old TV about a year ago. Here's what I learned back then:

If you watch OTA, there's a major upgrade called ATSC 3.0 Unfortunately, it's still only available on higher end TVs.
I decided to buy a 32" TV that had what I considered essential features: a RJ-45 so I can plug the TV into my network, and a USB port so I can watch what I want even if my entire network is uncooperative. I found those in a Samsung that cost about $230. Comparable TVs without those features were about $50 less.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its mind numbing the options. I don't watch enough TV to know the specifics on things. I see the same TV basically and see vastly different prices.....If anyone knows a thing or two, and has some suggestions.....I would greatly appreciate it.

its like mattresses... the more research you do the more dizzying...

the questions you first have to answer

1. What size do you want

2. are you mostly using cable, or a streaming device, or a premium movie platform(if not just the old fassioned NON DIGITAL form)

3. sound- are you going to use the tv sound, or get a sound bar, or a home studio

4. how much you willing to spend

5. how many HDMI do you need(Game consoles, Streaming devices, dvd players, etc)***** this is what you are usually paying most for****

quick notes...

1.named brands may be what you are most comfortable buying, and they will always be pushed at you by the salespeople... but dont be fooled, cheaper tvs are still very serviceable... espcially how you answer the questions above...

2. 4K and other newer tv technology is still not commonly used by tv services... its nice to have... but it shouldnt be the deciding factor... and even if it is even the cheaper tvs are going to look good...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. What size do you want

2. are you mostly using cable, or a streaming device, or a premium movie platform(if not just the old fassioned NON DIGITAL form)

3. sound- are you going to use the tv sound, or get a sound bar, or a home studio

5. how many HDMI do you need(Game consoles, Streaming devices, dvd players, etc)***** this is what you are usually paying most for****

quick notes...

1.named brands may be what you are most comfortable buying, and they will always be pushed at you by the salespeople... but dont be fooled, cheaper tvs are still very serviceable... espcially how you answer the questions above...

2. 4K and other newer tv technology is still not commonly used by tv services... its nice to have... but it shouldnt be the deciding factor... and even if it is even the cheaper tvs are going to look good...
Good write up.

I bought a 75 incher about 6 months back and I was shocked at the prices. TVs are almost impulse buys today. I payed about $500 for a monstrous TV with a great screen and acceptable sound (I wasn’t planning on using the onboard speakers, but they are actually better than my current bar).

External ports are VERY important. Take inventory of your CURRENT needs and then think about potential upgrades you may do in the next couple years and make sure you have the expand ability to accommodate those upgrades. Sound bar? Gaming console? Internet (cat5/cat6 vs Wi-Fi)? ROKU/Fire/Apple (TCL has ROKU built in)? Cable/sat connection?

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bought bought three Samsung Neo QLEDs last November. 85”, 65” and 55”.

Money well spent.

All the connectivity and ports I require, and then some. All three TVs run through amplifiers for their sound. Two of the amps do all the connecting between everything else. One is more a manual application.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you mostly watch sports on TV?
Yep, sports and background noise. Its why I cant see spending up. Size is my main concern
I replaced my old TV about a year ago. Here's what I learned back then:

If you watch OTA, there's a major upgrade called ATSC 3.0 Unfortunately, it's still only available on higher end TVs.
I decided to buy a 32" TV that had what I considered essential features: a RJ-45 so I can plug the TV into my network, and a USB port so I can watch what I want even if my entire network is uncooperative. I found those in a Samsung that cost about $230. Comparable TVs without those features were about $50 less.
ahhh very good to know
BIG..the bigger the better.
ALWAYS

1. What size do you want

quick notes...

Size: 55-65 likely 60-65
price: I can afford whatever, but based on just watching sports and background noise, occ. streaming shows...I cant fathom paying more than the budget brands honestly.
Sound: again, not a huge issue for me based on my needs. I also have an un used surround sound system just sitting here

My folks have TCL's and htey have been amazingly durable and good pictures, I hear is it ONN has really good budget tvs as well. Some other brands have lower models, but the specs are confusing AF
Good write up.

I bought a 75 incher about 6 months back and I was shocked at the prices. TVs are almost impulse buys today. I payed about $500 for a monstrous TV with a great screen and acceptable sound (I wasn’t planning on using the onboard speakers, but they are actually better than my current bar).

External ports are VERY important. Take inventory of your CURRENT needs and then think about potential upgrades you may do in the next couple years and make sure you have the expand ability to accommodate those upgrades. Sound bar? Gaming console? Internet (cat5/cat6 vs Wi-Fi)? ROKU/Fire/Apple (TCL has ROKU built in)? Cable/sat connection?
yes! hell yes it is.
Bought bought three Samsung Neo QLEDs last November. 85”, 65” and 55”.

Money well spent.

All the connectivity and ports I require, and then some. All three TVs run through amplifiers for their sound. Two of the amps do all the connecting between everything else. One is more a manual application.
You watch TV alot, its an amazing set, I just don't use it enough for the cost.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I come by it honestly.

Paternal grandfather tied for the first person in town here to have a TV. Him and the guy who owned the electronics store at the time each got one. One of those little 8” cathode ray tubes in a huge wooden box. It was the cat’s twat the time. He even bought 18 inch magnifying glass, which propped up in front of it and boosted the picture size. It wasn’t crystal clear or perfectly proportioned, but it was bigger.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, sports and background noise. Its why I cant see spending up. Size is my main concern

ahhh very good to know

ALWAYS

Size: 55-65 likely 60-65
price: I can afford whatever, but based on just watching sports and background noise, occ. streaming shows...I cant fathom paying more than the budget brands honestly.
Sound: again, not a huge issue for me based on my needs. I also have an un used surround sound system just sitting here

My folks have TCL's and htey have been amazingly durable and good pictures, I hear is it ONN has really good budget tvs as well. Some other brands have lower models, but the specs are confusing AF

yes! hell yes it is.

You watch TV alot, its an amazing set, I just don't use it enough for the cost.

if you like the TLC, that is great... saves you a pretty penny.... But i would still make sure about the HDMI.... and yes, i would pay extra for 4 HDMI ports over 2... no matter what... especially if you plan on mounting your tv...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ill be honest... my next tv... will probably NOT be a BIG NAMED one.... kind of a waste of money IMO... all the tvs do a good enough job now... this whole BEST a money can buy is more just to brag to the neighbours than anything else....

especially if you are going to use a smart device that is separate from the tv smart device....

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should make sure you get a 120 hz TV rather than a 60 hz. If you're primarily watching sports, that higher refresh rate is going to be noticeable.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
had a big tv when i lived in an apartment but it burned out in a few years,so i get a 25 incher for under 200 bucks

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
had a big tv when i lived in an apartment but it burned out in a few years,so i get a 25 incher for under 200 bucks
25 inches? That would be small for a bathroom tv. You can get a 35 incher for $175. Get one of those and replace it every 2 or 3 years if the urge hits you.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One other thing that I don't think you need to be told but just in case. Don't get a TV that doesn't fit the room. Bigger isn't always better. If you are sitting 5 feet away from the screen and you have 8 foot ceilings, you don't want anything more than a 55' or so. Even that is probably too much but it will probably be ok.

1695153423861.png

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other thing that I don't think you need to be told but just in case. Don't get a TV that doesn't fit the room. Bigger isn't always better. If you are sitting 5 feet away from the screen and you have 8 foot ceilings, you don't want anything more than a 55' or so. Even that is probably too much but it will probably be ok.

View attachment 340854

Disagree. I’m at most 7’ away.

IMG_0276.jpeg