• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Antonio Brown to Retire, IF

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Antonia Brown Theme Song. ( With Lyrics )

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waiver = no lawsuit.

Nobody actually cares about these men's safety. I know I don't care. And optics are a waste of my time. Like their NoMore commercials.

Just on a human being level...I care, even if they don't play for my team...the Shazier and Alex Smith injuries were tough to watch...but if the NFL can move liability to the player that wants to wear the now non-conforming helmet via a waiver...that's the easy fix here.

But part of me hopes they do nothing so if Brown does quit, we can read about the on going saga of the Raiders suing Brown to get their signing bonus money back....lol

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waiver = no lawsuit.

Nobody actually cares about these men's safety. I know I don't care. And optics are a waste of my time. Like their NoMore commercials.

Just on a human being level...I care, even if they don't play for my team...the Shazier and Alex Smith injuries were tough to watch...but if the NFL can move liability to the player that wants to wear the now non-conforming helmet via a waiver...that's the easy fix here.

But part of me hopes they do nothing so if Brown does quit, we can read about the on going saga of the Raiders suing Brown to get their signing bonus money back....lol
Pretty sure signing a waiver so it is ok to get a form of brain damage wouldnt fly. On so many levels. Also wouldnt fit the narrative of the NFL trying to protect players. Which would probably get brought up in other lawsuits they are in.

Besides when these guys goes off their rockers & kill themselves, they often take other with them. Pretty sure a waiver wont protect the NFL against innocent people dying.

Wasnt it a steeler OL that had CTE go driving down the freeway the wrong way & killed other people. Not just himself.

Do not think a waiver is gonna stop lawsuits from innocent families.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read something can't find link, not sure what to believe anymore if it's read on the WWW. But it read if he chooses to sit, (which he won't this is all about drama) but if he chooses the sit the Raiders can pay $0.00

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure signing a waiver so it is ok to get a form of brain damage wouldnt fly. On so many levels. Also wouldnt fit the narrative of the NFL trying to protect players. Which would probably get brought up in other lawsuits they are in.

Besides when these guys goes off their rockers & kill themselves, they often take other with them. Pretty sure a waiver wont protect the NFL against innocent people dying.

Wasnt it a steeler OL that had CTE go driving down the freeway the wrong way & killed other people. Not just himself.

Do not think a waiver is gonna stop lawsuits from innocent families.

I'm not an attorney, so perhaps you're right that a waiver no matter how it's worded might not absolve the league from liability. Hopefully the new helmet is a better precaution but it won't prevent more lawsuits....this kind of dovetails with the logic of having players sign acknowledgement waivers.

Justin Strzelczyk is the Steeler you might be thinking of...iirc he was the only fatality but I get your point.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read something can't find link, not sure what to believe anymore if it's read on the WWW. But it read if he chooses to sit, (which he won't this is all about drama) but if he chooses the sit the Raiders can pay $0.00

That's pretty much a given...if the player refuses to wear league approved equipment...they don't have to pay or play him.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not an attorney, so perhaps you're right that a waiver no matter how it's worded might not absolve the league from liability. Hopefully the new helmet is a better precaution but it won't prevent more lawsuits....this kind of dovetails with the logic of having players sign acknowledgement waivers.

Justin Strzelczyk is the Steeler you might be thinking of...iirc he was the only fatality but I get your point.
my bad. I thought he hit another car.

Point is. these are human beings.

I dont know what the difference is in the NFL, but in my field. I cant tell OSHA. Yeah I sent my guy up the side of a building without a harness. Sorry he fell to his death but he signed this waiver. I know for a fact that wouldnt fly.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my bad. I thought he hit another car.

Point is. these are human beings.

I dont know what the difference is in the NFL, but in my field. I cant tell OSHA. Yeah I sent my guy up the side of a building without a harness. Sorry he fell to his death but he signed this waiver. I know for a fact that wouldnt fly.

In hindsight...you are correct.

I should know that from a construction stand point...we deal with OSHA as well, but I think my point is here...complying doesn't limit exposure. We had a guy just a few months ago nearly lost all his fingers...2 were able to be re-attached in surgery. The company followed every OSHA procedure to the T...the employee simply was paying not attention to heavy equipment moving that he asked to have moved.

Needless to say he got an attorney, and after all the investigation was said and done...worker comp paid the claim, and our mod rate went up.

Steeler...he did hit another vehicle. but I think the driver of the other vehicle survived.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i heard about this waiver idea but i don't think the league would do it because it probably wouldn't absolve them of all liability.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In hindsight...you are correct.

I should know that from a construction stand point...we deal with OSHA as well, but I think my point is here...complying doesn't limit exposure. We had a guy just a few months ago nearly lost all his fingers...2 were able to be re-attached in surgery. The company followed every OSHA procedure to the T...the employee simply was paying not attention to heavy equipment moving that he asked to have moved.

Needless to say he got an attorney, and after all the investigation was said and done...worker comp paid the claim, and our mod rate went up.

Steeler...he did hit another vehicle. but I think the driver of the other vehicle survived.
yeah over here there is a thing I dont understand. If you get a permanent injury you have to sue Workmans comp (yes I know I am not explaining it properly) When I broke my back. I didnt know this rule LOL. Went to my mail box & found a settlement check from them. So I called to ask why I got this check & if it was a mistake. I was getting my biweekly checks for missing work but this was a lot more. They said no. It wasnt a mistake I had to sue them for damages (didnt make any sense to me) but if I cashed the check. That was my way of saying I settled. Worker comp will always pay out.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah over here there is a thing I dont understand. If you get a permanent injury you have to sue Workmans comp (yes I know I am not explaining it properly) When I broke my back. I didnt know this rule LOL. Went to my mail box & found a settlement check from them. So I called to ask why I got this check & if it was a mistake. I was getting my biweekly checks for missing work but this was a lot more. They said no. It wasnt a mistake I had to sue them for damages (didnt make any sense to me) but if I cashed the check. That was my way of saying I settled. Worker comp will always pay out.

By chance do you play for the Eagles?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course the NFL should be held liable if he got hurt from an impact that the helmet didn't protect him from.

He didn't have to switch to the more dangerous helmet, but they made him.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's interesting is Tom Brady is also a player that wanted to keep his old helmet as well. Of course he didn't threaten to retire if he didn't get it, but the point is other players have spoken out about the helmet.

This is real easy to squash. Have the player sign a waiver of responsibility and keep it moving. The NFL doesn't really care, they are just tired of being sued.

Tom Brady laments new NFL helmet rule
Yes, ESPN and the league's Public Relations and marketing people talk to each other to design stories and craft the details. They used Witten and Brady. Lol.

But don't forget the helmet manufacturer. They made sure the original contract included language that the league would publicly fight for them against rogue players no matter how legitimate the safety claim actually became after testing.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a helmet. Fact.

And it's already been working for him just fine. Fact.

I'm with you, ace...if he, or any other current player wants to grandfather their old helmet, that's on them if they wind up a veg. Make em sign a discclaimer or waiver or non-sue-yerass agreement and play ball.

Hell, the NHL let guys like MacTavish play without a helmet after they made them mandatory...the NFL can't bend a little here?

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he wants to give up $30 mil in guarantees over a helmet let the stupid motherfucker do it.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That sounds about right. Most of his guarantees is in salary $14.6 mil this year and 14.5 next year. He got a $1 mil signing bonus which take the fully guaranteed portion up to $30 mil. He does not play he does not get paid and the Raiders could probably go after the signing bonus too.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you, ace...if he, or any other current player wants to grandfather their old helmet, that's on them if they wind up a veg. Make em sign a discclaimer or waiver or non-sue-yerass agreement and play ball.

Hell, the NHL let guys like MacTavish play without a helmet after they made them mandatory...the NFL can't bend a little here?

Players like to use the slave meme when it suits them, but hockey is mostly white guys and football is mostly black guys, so ESPN and the other plantation States in the Disney union really want their fugitive slaves back in the fields under the master's terms.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Typically once an attorney is involved, the company is sued as well as the work comp carrier, and possibly the builder (in construction)...IDK the exact figure, but the vast majority are settled...this has nothing to do with the loss of wages weekly/biweekly benefit.

If no attorney is involved, the same thing applies...the attorney represented claims are always larger mostly because they push rehab and lost wages to the max...but the employee normally works nets about the same financially after medical and attorney fees.

Because all OSHA rules were followed, they really couldn’t
come after the company for anymore than the settlement...if that wasn’t the case...I’ve heard of attorneys taking a work comp settlement and then go after the company for job site neglect....double dipping.