• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Another Scott Season?

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
17 game winner...
Scott said he “absolutely” expects to return as the head coach next year.

Scott said his leadership style is very much straightforward: “As far as the communication standpoint, every player understood their roles and where I was coming from. That, to me, wasn’t something that was lacking.” He considers himself to be a coach as well as a mentor and father figure given the age of the young players. “You gotta get them to trust you."

:ohwell: :tape:

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott was extremely frustrated with the losing this season, and said Bryant was key to “getting him off the ledge”

Scott said there is a lot to digest and go through in the offseason to evaluate himself and the players, though he hasn't done so yet.

Just a couple of things that made me cringe....even if the Lakers double their wins next season they will be at 34 wins. There is no where at no time in history where a head coach has held onto his job with a win loss percentage like that. This is why I did not cheer when the Lakers hired a former player of theirs to be their head coach. Too hard to fire him. Get use to losing if he stays on.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott was extremely frustrated with the losing this season, and said Bryant was key to “getting him off the ledge”

Scott said there is a lot to digest and go through in the offseason to evaluate himself and the players, though he hasn't done so yet.

Just a couple of things that made me cringe....even if the Lakers double their wins next season they will be at 34 wins. There is no where at no time in history where a head coach has held onto his job with a win loss percentage like that. This is why I did not cheer when the Lakers hired a former player of theirs to be their head coach. Too hard to fire him. Get use to losing if he stays on.

Meh, I don't see anything wrong with either of those statements. Of course the losing frustrated him. He may not be a great coach, but he's not trying to lose games. Kobe would be the perfect one to talk him off the ledge too. He knows exactly how Byron felt. Kobe has been plenty frustrated himself with younger/lesser players in his time. Better to let Kobe talk him down than for him to say something to the young guys he'd regret.

As for evaluating himself and the team. Better to give it a little bit of time and then look at it rather than right after the season. He can do his evaluation with a clearer head. Now, if we're 3-4 weeks out and he hasn't started that process, then it's something to be concerned about, imo.

As for his winning percentage, how many coaches have been handed what he was for the past 2 years? I get that no one is happy with the job he's done, but there's plenty to criticize him for than some innocuous statements made during an end of season interview that happened just a couple of days after the season ended.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, I don't see anything wrong with either of those statements. Of course the losing frustrated him. He may not be a great coach, but he's not trying to lose games. Kobe would be the perfect one to talk him off the ledge too. He knows exactly how Byron felt. Kobe has been plenty frustrated himself with younger/lesser players in his time. Better to let Kobe talk him down than for him to say something to the young guys he'd regret.

As for evaluating himself and the team. Better to give it a little bit of time and then look at it rather than right after the season. He can do his evaluation with a clearer head. Now, if we're 3-4 weeks out and he hasn't started that process, then it's something to be concerned about, imo.

As for his winning percentage, how many coaches have been handed what he was for the past 2 years? I get that no one is happy with the job he's done, but there's plenty to criticize him for than some innocuous statements made during an end of season interview that happened just a couple of days after the season ended.

The roster isn't contender worthy but no one expected that. He was asked to be competent and he could even do that. Eeking out 25 to 30 wins either year with our respective rosters was certainly do-able with any decent coach. At the very least, you should see some semblance of game plan or direction, you got neither both years. All you got was excuses (hustle, want to, man up) pointing everywhere except Byron Scott.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The roster isn't contender worthy but no one expected that. He was asked to be competent and he could even do that. Eeking out 25 to 30 wins either year with our respective rosters was certainly do-able with any decent coach. At the very least, you should see some semblance of game plan or direction, you got neither both years. All you got was excuses (hustle, want to, man up) pointing everywhere except Byron Scott.

I agree to a point. However, he was handed an impossible situation for 2 straight seasons. We can split hairs all we want about how many games the team was capable of winning vs. how many they won, but there is truly no way to know. It's speculation. I also don't have a problem with his tough love, "make them earn what they get" approach.

What bothers me with the job Scott has done is the defense. He said that defense was going to be focused on. All season long he and the players said that they practice and talk about defense "all of the time." Yet, they started the season 30th in defense and finished the season 30th in defense. I saw the same defense at the end of the season as the beginning. They were all pretty solid on ball defenders, but as soon as an opponent started moving the ball, they got lost. That means they either aren't communicating, aren't recognizing what the offense is doing or both.

Can he improve that? Maybe. Should he be allowed to stick around for another season to find out? Not if you can get Thibs, Luke or Brooks. Problem is, if a decision isn't made soon, they may not have a choice but to find out.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well you're giving him a lot of rope and apparently so are the Lakers...enough to hang himself with. Another under 20 win season and he will never coach again...anywhere.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you're giving him a lot of rope and apparently so are the Lakers...enough to hang himself with. Another under 20 win season and he will never coach again...anywhere.

I don't know about giving him rope. I'd like to see him gone too. But more than that, I just want them to make a decision. If they are going to keep him for another season, then announce it and move on with the off-season. If they are going to fire him, then fire him and get busy working on hiring the next coach. Going into FA not knowing who the coach is going to be hurt them last year and it will hurt them again this year.

If they keep waiting, they are going to be in a position where they have to keep him because no one else is available.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what women do. They wait too long; sort of like the first Bush. "Wouldn't be prudent."

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am resigned to scott being here next year. I am over the anger. Just hoping we see progress next year. It a hard pill to swallow, but as a fan i have to have hope. I cant wait for draft and free agency and see what the roster looks like.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about giving him rope. I'd like to see him gone too. But more than that, I just want them to make a decision. If they are going to keep him for another season, then announce it and move on with the off-season. If they are going to fire him, then fire him and get busy working on hiring the next coach. Going into FA not knowing who the coach is going to be hurt them last year and it will hurt them again this year.

If they keep waiting, they are going to be in a position where they have to keep him because no one else is available.
I agree with everything you said...is it less than 40 wins in two seasons? The next action by the front office should be a no brainier. :noidea:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at this! I found it online. It means nothing I know but I've never seen anything like this before. I guess I'm not the only one that is ready for a change in Lakerland...

Mitch Kupchak: Lakers fire Byron Scott

Signed the petition and added the following in the optional comments section:

"I loved Byron with Showtime, not so much as coach. Please fire him and go after Luke Walton , Tom Thibedeau or Scott Brooks. If you don't want to fire him, create a front office position for him and call it a promotion."

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am resigned to scott being here next year. I am over the anger. Just hoping we see progress next year. It a hard pill to swallow, but as a fan i have to have hope. I cant wait for draft and free agency and see what the roster looks like.

I think the longer this goes with no movement by the Lakers, the more fans become resigned to him being here at least one more season. Agree about seeing progress. Assuming Byron is kept another season:

Best case - He really was put in an impossible situation over the past 2 seasons and with a roster of guys who will be around for awhile and no Kobe Farewell Tour to deal with, he shows that he actually is a good coach.

Worst case - He really is as bad as many think and with no more excuses available, both he and Jim Buss are handed their walking papers.

I agree with everything you said...is it less than 40 wins in two seasons? The next action by the front office should be a no brainier. :noidea:

Agree.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the longer this goes with no movement by the Lakers, the more fans become resigned to him being here at least one more season. Agree about seeing progress. Assuming Byron is kept another season:

Best case - He really was put in an impossible situation over the past 2 seasons and with a roster of guys who will be around for awhile and no Kobe Farewell Tour to deal with, he shows that he actually is a good coach.

Worst case - He really is as bad as many think and with no more excuses available, both he and Jim Buss are handed their walking papers.

Agree.
I agree. If he is back and does poorly, he and Jim will be shown the door.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. If he is back and does poorly, he and Jim will be shown the door.

Might even be worth suffering through another lost season to see them both shown the door at the same time. Although, I'd rather that it didn't have to happen that way.