• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Another absurd effort

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do coaches continue to subsidize getting beat with your 2nd or 3rd best pitch ? On the other side, Reds hitters are satisfied with making routine outs on the 2nd pitch of the at bat, on a pitch they can't handle. The Reds baseball IQ is pathetic.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will stick it out and complain when they play poorly. I didn't watch today's debacle so I can't evaluate that. It's hard to evaluate 2 hits.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, they have to win 1 in Texas to even make that 2-win prediction come true.
I feared the worst -- an 0-7 trip. It's not going to be a whole lot better than that.

I guess it could be 1-7. I can't add either.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Reds announcers, Griffin is a top notch, master of changing speeds, location and just a damned dominant pitcher. Any little league team would agree. Wonder how he's escaped the All Star and Cy Young nomination discussion ?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Melvin holds him out against all but the toughest teams.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The wheels are slowly falling off. The effort is mindboggling in regard to working the pitcher. The hitting acumen of this team is horrible. Who's responsibility is that? The hitter? a Coach? Bottom line here is that this season is being pissed away because of the simple things you do in baseball. Like working the count, taking an occasional base or two, moving the runners over, and recognizing when your pitcher is gassed. This team is toast if they don't turn this around ASAP. You wont catch the Pirates much less the Tards at this rate. Management should light a fire in this club right now by doing what we all know needs to be done--FIRE DUSTY. It should have been done last year and now here we are again looking at mediocrity with a team loaded with talent. When in the fuck will management wake up! Anybody with a brain can see the issue here--it is god damn coaching plain and fucking simple! So sick of watching these inept efforts in every game. I really think the thought process and coaching ability of these retards (Spier. Baker, Jerkoby) is the worst in baseball because they prove it day in and day out. Just sick of it.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the Parrots with their depleted rotation are still moving up on the Birds, who are not really taking any prisoners in Houston. It isn't that the Reds are sucking but the teams they need to catch are having no trouble winning.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could make a case in firing Dusty in any non contract year, coincidence or not. It isn't recent history, but with every opportunity ignored, Dusty's mythical managerial status grows. He's 17th or whatever in the all time win list...and about as high on the all time loss list, and depending on which side of the subject you sit, and more importantly, where you hold the bar in regard to performance, Dusty is either a Hall of Famer regardless of his post season futility, or the most overrated underperformer who owes his impressive win totals to his expert navigation of longevity in an occupation with frequent turnover, in spite or in consort of its previlence of mediocrity.

Dusty didn't toil in the minors learning to manage, or coach. He wasnt a pitcher, catcher or defensively minded infielder. As a player, Dusty was a highly touted power hitting OF, Hank Aarons protege. He was waiting at the plate when Aaron broke Ruths HR record. He took the Giants to a World Series (loss)for the first time in a couple of generations. He almost took the Cubs there for the first time in a century, and Reds fans might have been happy for the first .500 season and playoff appearance in a decade... if they hadn't seen winners before, and recognized talent able to do more. Some haven't, and tend to support Dusty still.

Personally, the longer the Reds employ Dusty, the more I believe they are willing to compromise winning less than they could, for profitable, non-confrontational status quo. Just Dusty's preference. He wants to win, I'm sure. He just isn't that good at it, and there damned sure isn't any glory in admitting that kind of thing. I'd like to believe there is no "I" in "team", but it seems it's always about Dusty, to Dusty. I'd probably feel differently if just once, he'd admit a mistake he made, that contributed to losing a game. He never has, although he has made mistakes on a frequent basis.

For a guy that touts himself a motivator, I'd also like to believe Dusty works and tries as hard in non contract years, but I just haven't seen evidence of that... in spite of increased talent in each year since he's been with the Reds. I often have believed Dusty should win with the Reds talent, I'm just not sure any more the Reds can actually afford a team that can win with (or in spite of) Dusty Baker. I think the Refs need something more from the manager. Im not confident they'll get it until like everything else in his world, it's Dusty's idea to step down.

Im a Reds fan, so I guess I'm going to have to accept him, as an unfortunate handicap outside my control. Like arthritis or diabetes.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well in all fairness, it isn't just Dusty but the worthless pieces of shit he employs as Coaches. Spier and Jerkoby are just worthless. Jerkoby has yet to improve anyone's hitting skills since he has been with the Reds. Now ask yourself what the biggest issue with this club is right now? Hitting right? Now this is an area of expertise that Jerkoby and Dustmop are supposed to experts at right? Then why are we reeking ass when it comes to scoring runs? Plating runs will be the downfall of this season and these two do nothing to fix it.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it ISN'T all Dusty's fault. It IS all his responsibility though. I've never seen a manager that lost 1500 games NEVER admit a mistake before Dusty.

When I see him not walk the opposing 8 hitter to setup a DP with 1 out and the P on deck, AND pulls defense IN,sorry... I can't blame anyone else for giving up those runs...especially in an elimination NLDS game, and twice in the same week in June the following season. When there is NO bunt signal after a leadoff double, with a .230 hitter at the plate, I can't blame the hitter for not getting the runner over.

Yes, hitters are supposed to hit, and pitchers are supposed to get outs. What are managers supposed to do ? I'd like to understand what Dusty thinks that answer is.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't seem like this particular thread wants to die.
So now we're lucky we have Curt Partch, right?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you ever notice how every pitcher the Reds face has the best game of his season against them?
Quality start ... bull ... these guys pitch 2-hitters.
Does NO other pitcher the Reds face ever have a bad start? I can't recall the last one.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't intend to score any runs, it seems that walking home 2 runs is a little extreme.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Dunn is hitting about .180 and has 21 home runs.
Our .180 hitter has a couple of doubles.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only have to win 1 game this weekend for the road trip to be a success.
Against another rookie on Saturday, don't like our chances.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the betting line on scoring runs in this ballpark, known as the best hitter's park in the American League.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said the Reds would win two on this road trip, I'm starting to think you were being overly optimistic.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said the Reds would win two on this road trip, I'm starting to think you were being overly optimistic.

Yeah, need a split and first have to face another rookie that we probably didn't get a scouting report on.
Wouldn't want Dustbrain or Jerkoff to have to over-analyze the competition.

Here's the deal: Mike Leake is our best pitcher now, seriously. Bronson and Homer are lucky to give us 5 innings. Latos would be OK if he brings his brain to the game.

Cueto, Marshall, Broxton on the DL and I didn't think Cingrani had a clue.
Chapman hasn't thrown a strike in competition in over a week and the last time he tried, he almost got beat twice. That leaves Partch ... yeah ...

And meanwhile, we scatter 8 hits over 9 innings. EIGHT hits! That's actually good for this team, but since we don't ever get three in a row, doesn't matter.

So who's the lefty we face on Sunday?

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lackadaisical, listless, aimlessly, clueless----these are all words that describe the state of the Reds baseball team. Folks, I hope you have your parachutes strapped on because this is gonna be a steep and fast fall.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm having a hard time getting excited about this team. This is the least I've followed baseball (and the Reds) in years even though the Reds have one of the top 5 records in the NL. I think it's just frustration that this team's window of opportunity is being wasted by a combination of staff stupidity, lack of foresight in building the roster, and untimely injuries. Let's face it, there's ZERO chance this team wins the World Series. The discipline, fundamentals, and intelligence aren't there. I guess that's probably why I'm having a really hard time getting excited this year. What an absolute waste.