• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Andrew Luck a top 5 quarterback

Lone Granger

Superstar
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why Andrew Luck is a Tier 1 quarterback - NFL - ESPN

NFL - Anonymous league insiders rank 32 starting quarterbacks into tiers - ESPN

Ya, you're...

img-2788072-1-SoIc1fx.gif

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a bouncing jello cube?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just going to throw this one out there because I believe 99% of the hoop will agree...

But Luck does not belong in the same tier as Rodgers, Manning, Brees, & Brady. He is very talented, yes, but he is overrated because of his placement on tier 1. He belongs in tier 2 until he proves us wrong.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is definitely on his way to becoming tier one but yeah have to agree right now he is closer to top of tier 2 than being placed with those HOF guys. Reading through the article they said coaches placed him in tier two while evaluators like GM's and Scouts placed him in tier one. I think the Scouts and such are still hanging onto him being evaluated so high coming out of college and just see him showing such promise that they jumped the gun a bit.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course GMs would rank him tier 1 because he is every GM's wet dream right now. Someone that young and that talented... Puts your franchise in a great position for many years to come. What's not to like?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course GMs would rank him tier 1 because he is every GM's wet dream right now. Someone that young and that talented... Puts your franchise in a great position for many years to come. What's not to like?

It is true. Right now if I was starting an NFL team Andrew Luck would be my first choice of any player in the NFL right now to lead my team. He has shown to have that much talent. At the same time his game hasn't quite caught up to the hype and is why coaches recognize he hasn't arrived yet. Another couple of years though I have no doubt (barring injury) that he will be in that tier one group for the next 10-15 years.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not quite yet for the top tier. But close. And depending on this year, could be in the conversation in the near future.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has all of the talent to be one of the next great but he is not even close to it yet. His yards per attempt (6.71) was 26th in the league last year and his passer rating (stat based, not the QBR rating) of 87.0 was 18th in the league.

He did show improvment last year and managed to edge his completion % over 60% and cut his INTs from 18 to 9, but he is not there yet. Maybe he makes the jump into the top tier this year but at the moment he has been way more hype than result and the numbers back that up.

Lone Granger

Superstar
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rookie seasons

Manning 1998- 56% completion, 3,739 yards, 26 touchdowns (NFL record for a rookie), 28 interceptions, 0 rushing touchdowns, QB rating of 71.2

Luck 2012- 54% completion, 4,183 yards (new NFL record for a rookie), 21 touchdowns, 18 interceptions, 5 rushing touchdowns, QB rating of 75.6

Some of Lucks achievements:

Most passing yards in a single game by a rookie quarterback: 433 (vs Miami Dolphins) (11/4/12)[59]

Most passing yards by a rookie in a single season: 4,374[43]

Most 300+ yards passing games by a rookie QB (6)

Most pass attempts by a rookie in a single season: 627

Most wins by a #1 pick QB in his rookie season (11)

Most game-winning drives by a rookie quarterback (7)[60]

Most fourth quarter comebacks by a rookie quarterback (7)[61]

Most passing yards for a quarterback through his first 2 seasons (8,196)[62]

Second rookie quarterback in NFL history to throw for 4,000 passing yards (Cam Newton was first in 2011).

Second most total yards for a rookie in NFL history (4,629).

Tied for most wins (14) through first 20 starts for a QB drafted first overall with John Elway

Fifth highest passing yards total in a playoff game (443, Wild-Card game against the Kansas City Chiefs on January 4, 2014).[56]

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you have to try this hard to convince us he clearly isnt there yet. If it was as obvious as you think it is you wouldnt need to throw all those stats out there.

Lone Granger

Superstar
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you have to try this hard to convince us he clearly isnt there yet. If it was as obvious as you think it is you wouldnt need to throw all those stats out there.

Obvious to me. You are the one's who needed stats.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just going to throw this one out there because I believe 99% of the hoop will agree...

But Luck does not belong in the same tier as Rodgers, Manning, Brees, & Brady. He is very talented, yes, but he is overrated because of his placement on tier 1. He belongs in tier 2 until he proves us wrong.

Agree 100%.

He's the new blue print, for QB of the era...but he's got a long way to go imo to be on the same level with players that have actually done it for more than a season...that said, I think most of us would take him over Manning, Brees, and probably Brady right now because of age and potential.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't need stats to see he hasn't quite reached the level of those other guys. This past year he was better but he still makes some wrong reads and will try to make throws he shouldn't be trying. That knowledge comes with experience and he will get better at that. Now some of that probably has been some of the talent around him just not being up to par but again he will learn more and more just to throw it away in bad situations instead of trying to play hero.

Again it will just take some time...does for all players. Manning wasn't elite the day he entered into the league. He worked to become elite. Luck is doing the same thing and I think as most of us have said he will eventually get there just not quite yet today.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Obvious to me. You are the one's who needed stats.

Sorry Granger but Trudem is absolutely right... It's only obvious to a homer

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rookie seasons

Manning 1998- 56% completion, 3,739 yards, 26 touchdowns (NFL record for a rookie), 28 interceptions, 0 rushing touchdowns, QB rating of 71.2

Luck 2012- 54% completion, 4,183 yards (new NFL record for a rookie), 21 touchdowns, 18 interceptions, 5 rushing touchdowns, QB rating of 75.6

Some of Lucks achievements:

Most passing yards in a single game by a rookie quarterback: 433 (vs Miami Dolphins) (11/4/12)[59]

Most passing yards by a rookie in a single season: 4,374[43]

Most 300+ yards passing games by a rookie QB (6)

Most pass attempts by a rookie in a single season: 627

Most wins by a #1 pick QB in his rookie season (11)

Most game-winning drives by a rookie quarterback (7)[60]

Most fourth quarter comebacks by a rookie quarterback (7)[61]

Most passing yards for a quarterback through his first 2 seasons (8,196)[62]

Second rookie quarterback in NFL history to throw for 4,000 passing yards (Cam Newton was first in 2011).

Second most total yards for a rookie in NFL history (4,629).

Tied for most wins (14) through first 20 starts for a QB drafted first overall with John Elway

Fifth highest passing yards total in a playoff game (443, Wild-Card game against the Kansas City Chiefs on January 4, 2014).[56]

Elvis Grbac passed for over 500 yards in a game so I guess he was elite also?

I don't care about how many yards he got in individual games or overall. Especially since it took 627 throws to get to that point! It is about efficency and Luck was not very efficent. He looked spectacular at times and mediocre at others.

.....and your redundant posting of what is basically the same stats over and over again just comes off as desperate. Most Passing Yards by a Rookie, 2nd rookie to pass for over 4,000 yards, 2nd most total yards by a rookie, etc. etc. Really?!?

The most relevant stats for a QB are completion percentage, yards per attempt, TD to INT ratio. Beyond that it is a bit of a crap shoot.

I am not at all trying to rank on Luck. Like I said, he has all of the talent in the world, but he has not tapped it enough to be considered elite. What I am ranking on is the statisics you use to try and justify him being elite. You choose some of the worst statisical catagories to evaluate a QB by (typically related to passing yard stats), which just does not work and you threw in his record for most pass attempts which actually undermines your own case!

WB1214

Hoopla Cash
$ 802.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question: If Luck was at the top of Tier 2, but still 5th best QB, would there be much problem with that?

I'm of the opinion that he's not in Tier 1 because those four are so far ahead of anybody else, but do most feel that he is the fifth best QB in football?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question: If Luck was at the top of Tier 2, but still 5th best QB, would there be much problem with that?

I'm of the opinion that he's not in Tier 1 because those four are so far ahead of anybody else, but do most feel that he is the fifth best QB in football?

If I was honestly ranking the quarterbacks at this moment I would say no. He hasn't done enough on the field to justify being ahead of some of the veterans in this league that have shown year in and year out that they belong. Right now my 5th guy would be Philip Rivers. For most of his career he has finished top-5 almost every season in almost every category possible for quarterbacks. He had a couple of down years but I blame that more on the coaching than I do on him. 7-step drops behind one of the worst OL's in the NFL is just asking for trouble.

Behind him would probably be Roethlisberger. He hasn't had much talent around him the last few years but has still put up pretty decent numbers while still having 2 Super Bowl Championships and a 3rd Super Bowl appearance.

After that I would group a big group of quarterbacks very closely together. Guys like Russell Wilson, Tony Romo, Andrew Luck, Matt Ryan, and Cam Newton would be that next group for me. You could make arguments for all of them of why they should be that next guy on the list.

WB1214

Hoopla Cash
$ 802.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was honestly ranking the quarterbacks at this moment I would say no. He hasn't done enough on the field to justify being ahead of some of the veterans in this league that have shown year in and year out that they belong. Right now my 5th guy would be Philip Rivers. For most of his career he has finished top-5 almost every season in almost every category possible for quarterbacks. He had a couple of down years but I blame that more on the coaching than I do on him. 7-step drops behind one of the worst OL's in the NFL is just asking for trouble.

Behind him would probably be Roethlisberger. He hasn't had much talent around him the last few years but has still put up pretty decent numbers while still having 2 Super Bowl Championships and a 3rd Super Bowl appearance.

After that I would group a big group of quarterbacks very closely together. Guys like Russell Wilson, Tony Romo, Andrew Luck, Matt Ryan, and Cam Newton would be that next group for me. You could make arguments for all of them of why they should be that next guy on the list.

The one thing I'm a real homer about is my belief in Ryan. I definitely think he's firmly in the same class with Rivers, Roethlisberger, and Luck. Wilson and Romo are close, with Wilson maybe in there, but I could see any of those first four as the 5th QB. For one season, I would personally take Ryan, though I think all of those are close. imo