• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

American Sniper (2014)

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for sake of argument, let's look at the scene about his first kill(s), and take it at face value (I know this scene was not in the book, and there are no reports about this scene existing in his real life, either)

Are you saying it would have been better to let the kid (and mother) deliver the bomb to their target, thus killing a small squad of US soldiers? Killing 2 in that situation is CLEARLY better than losing 6 or so US soldiers.

Good god...here we go

Why are we even there in the first place? See? Now it's a political discussion. I DON'T WANT THAT. You can believe whatever you want. I'm not mad. I just will not agree with killing in the name of absolutely nothing ever. I just can't.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good god...here we go

Why are we even there in the first place? See? Now it's a political discussion. I DON'T WANT THAT. You can believe whatever you want. I'm not mad. I just will not agree with killing in the name of absolutely nothing ever. I just can't.
You created the thread.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't like it because it was little more than a made for TV movie in all ways, except it had an outstanding lead actor who elevated the script.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this the political forum? No, it's not. Give your opinion of the movie.
I did. You responded with your explanation that you didnt like the POLITICAL message in the movie and why. I then responded to that.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't need political propaganda shoved down my throat. This film disgusted me. If that was the goal then well done, Mr. Eastwood.

I know my opinion is in the minority and that's ok.
You created the thread, mentioning you did not like it for political reasons...

I agree that I HATE being preached to in a movie, in either direction.

However, one of the main feelings I had as I left the theater for this movie was that I did NOT feel preached to.

The movie is NOT "pro-war". In fact, it deals pretty strongly with the way war is fucked up and it screws with peoples heads.

The movie is not "pro-snipers". He is confidant in what he does, but he still struggles with who he has to kill and when to actually pull the trigger.

The movie is not "anti-Muslim". I have heard complaints that the other sniper is portrayed as a monster. I dont see that at all. He is just portrayed vaguely because he is not the protagonist. He is the antagonist.

The movie is, in a way, "pro-soldier". If you feel that is preachy, I dont know what to tell you. You are unable to receive of the message of the film.
I responded why I liked the movie and how I felt (IMHO) why it was not a preachy movie...

I expected these responses and I respect every one of them. I have no hate for any of you. I just cannot see how killing that many people is in any way considered to be a good thing. I'm sorry, but I just can't.

Yes, I had pre-conceived notions going into the viewing. Yes, they did did sway my opinion.
Again, you bring the politics into your view of the movie...

Just for sake of argument, let's look at the scene about his first kill(s), and take it at face value (I know this scene was not in the book, and there are no reports about this scene existing in his real life, either)

Are you saying it would have been better to let the kid (and mother) deliver the bomb to their target, thus killing a small squad of US soldiers? Killing 2 in that situation is CLEARLY better than losing 6 or so US soldiers.
I am responding directly to YOUR criticism of the movie...

Good god...here we go

Now you change directions claiming innocence in the direction of the conversation...

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just cannot see how killing that many people is in any way considered to be a good thing. I'm sorry, but I just can't.

Well, it put the Nazis and Japanese in their place 70 some years ago...sometimes killing is justified, especially if the other side is out to kill you first. What was Patton said in his speech, oh yeah: Nobody ever won a war dying for their country, they won by making the other poor bastard die for his country. :D

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it put the Nazis and Japanese in their place 70 some years ago...sometimes killing is justified, especially if the other side is out to kill you first. What was Patton said in his speech, oh yeah: Nobody ever won a war dying for their country, they won by making the other poor bastard die for his country. :D
Good to see you posting again.

I was fearing the worst...

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's a valid point. Well thought out and I respect and appreciate it.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a mod to move this to the PF.
I can feel it.....instant classic. :D

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't need political propaganda shoved down my throat. This film disgusted me. If that was the goal then well done, Mr. Eastwood.

I know my opinion is in the minority and that's ok.

You disagree with the movie, I get it.

Haven't seen the movie yet, the emotional side of it sort of puts me off.
I kind of wanted to see more jihadi's getting whacked.

The guy was a hero. He may have exaggerated some things according to some people, but I'm not worried about that. His record speaks for itself.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You created the thread, mentioning you did not like it for political reasons...

I responded why I liked the movie and how I felt (IMHO) why it was not a preachy movie...

Again, you bring the politics into your view of the movie...

I am responding directly to YOUR criticism of the movie...

Now you change directions claiming innocence in the direction of the conversation...

You're right. I did do that. I'm not afraid to admit when I am wrong.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a mod to move this to the PF.
I can feel it.....instant classic. :D

Can you even imagine the carnage? I don't have enough beer here at the house to tolerate that right now.

SpartyNash13

Spartan Dawg
Hoopla Cash
$ 963.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was very good. Not the best war movie I have ever seen, but I definitely appreciated it. I got zero inkling of any political agenda.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ending when its the funeral procession - had me teary not going to lie

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the OP... well done. Many respondents here did not disappoint and took it all: hook...line....sinker. :thumb:

f2.jpg

To those who responded to the OP... you folks need to realize when you are baited into a thread which obviously screams of:
look at me!... Look At Me!... LOOK AT ME!... I MATTER AND NEED SOME VALIDATION!... AND I"M GONNA USE THE INTER-WEBS TO GET THAT VALIDATION!... AND MY OPINION IS IMPORTANT!
:tsk: