• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Am I the only one being totally annoyed by the Habs?

BLOODWINGZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just out of curiousity, how can you agree that a team has nothing left in the tank and then say they are rolling over and playing dead in the same sentence?

Well ............. I would tend to think that one might lead to the other. Halak certainly hasn't been on his game like he was in the other series either. The Flyers are far more physical, agressive & have better D than the Pens & Caps.

Montreal is pretty much outmatched so far in this series. Their only hope is that the Flyers wear down as the series plays out. Montreal needs to make a big dent at home or that's not going to happen.

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sure, I guess we just have a different opinion of what it means to roll over and play dead. No big deal.

Maybe that's too harsh. I should probably save that hard of criticism for my own team. It does look like they're kinda just going through the motions though.

It looks like they're done fighting like they fought the 2 previous series, and are maybe fine to rest on the accolades that come with beating the presidents trophy winner, and the defending champs in back to back series.

In all honesty, I do have to give the flyers credit. I'm sure they pretty much thought they'd have a dog fight on their hands, and came out these first 2 games accordingly.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol I was thinking to myself as the game wound down that Cap and Pens fans would be thinking "we could do better than this".

For the record I dont think the Caps nor the Pens outplayed the Habs though especially against the Caps the Habs really had to dig in. They were the better team in each series IMO even if it was barely. Goaltending, both good and bad, is part of the game.

I thought the Habs got better each game in the Penguins series so I dont think they suddenly got tired either.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As to the original question, no, i'm not annoyed with the Habs. I was annoyed by the Caps. They can do whatever they want with their opportunity. I don't really care who wins the Cup at this point and if nothing else, I thank them for knocking out the Pens as well.

quoipourquoi

Did Not Fuck Leesha/Sarah
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 of Montreal's 8 victories were in games in which the opposing goaltender had a save percentage below .900 (including all 4 victories over the Penguins). The Flyers were so much better defensively and in net in Games 1 and 2 than the Capitals and Penguins were in their respective series that it's ridiculous. At times, players like Green, Kunitz, and Gonchar were just handing the Canadiens scoring chances, and now we're seeing a team of just about 18 hard-workers that know how to clear rebounds and win puck battles.

Don't get mad at the Canadiens and Flyers; get mad at the Capitals and Penguins.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 of Montreal's 8 victories were in games in which the opposing goaltender had a save percentage below .900 (including all 4 victories over the Penguins). The Flyers were so much better defensively and in net in Games 1 and 2 than the Capitals and Penguins were in their respective series that it's ridiculous. At times, players like Green, Kunitz, and Gonchar were just handing the Canadiens scoring chances, and now we're seeing a team of just about 18 hard-workers that know how to clear rebounds and win puck battles.

Don't get mad at the Canadiens and Flyers; get mad at the Capitals and Penguins.

It's kind of amazing how matchups work. The Flyers are handling the Habs, but the Habs beat the Caps, and yet the Caps absolutely dominated the Flyers this year.

Your stat is a little misleading though. If the opposing goalie's GAA is below .900, that generally means a team scored 3 or more on them. And when you do that, you usually win. I think it's the chicken here, not the egg.

quoipourquoi

Did Not Fuck Leesha/Sarah
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your stat is a little misleading though. If the opposing goalie's GAA is below .900, that generally means a team scored 3 or more on them. And when you do that, you usually win. I think it's the chicken here, not the egg.

But a rate of 75% of victories coming because of the other goalie's low SPCT means that they're pretty dependent on the other team shitting the bed. That's why they're only 2-7 when the opposing team is anything above that .900 threshold of adequacy (and 0 for their last 5).

The point is, the Flyers' defense isn't throwing this one away like the Capitals' and Penguins' did.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is, the Flyers' defense isn't throwing this one away like the Capitals' and Penguins' did.

The Caps outshot the Habs 96-38 in the final two games despite 8 PPs for the Habs. I don't think the defense threw it away. In fact, I think they played pretty well in those games save Mike Green. They dominated the Habs, but they couldn't finish and Halak was spectacular. Let's not make it more than it is.

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I'm over being mad at the Caps, was never mad at the Pens, and would just like to see a competitive series in the ECFs. The Flyers are holding up their end of the bargain. The Habs are not.

Suddenly, in the conference finals, these playoffs have gone from outstanding to below sub par.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it all very simple really. The Flyers are employing the full team effort strategy. Everyone is completely dedicated to one way of thinking and playing.

"Other teams" had the "our 5-6 stars will do everything" strategy going and we seen how that worked out. I believe the Hab's outworked both Washington and Pittsburgh and won because of it. Now, they're finding themselves on the other end of that spectrum and are either too tired to match the Flyer's intensity level or they just don't have a lot left.

Having said all that shit.....this series is only 2 games old. I see the Habs waking up at home and making this series competitive.

D-sizzle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I find it all very simple really. The Flyers are employing the full team effort strategy. Everyone is completely dedicated to one way of thinking and playing.

"Other teams" had the "our 5-6 stars will do everything" strategy going and we seen how that worked out. I believe the Hab's outworked both Washington and Pittsburgh and won because of it. Now, they're finding themselves on the other end of that spectrum and are either too tired to match the Flyer's intensity level or they just don't have a lot left.

Having said all that shit.....this series is only 2 games old. I see the Habs waking up at home and making this series competitive.

There's some truth to your post Tox about the Pens and Caps mentality but it's not why they lost. At least speaking for Pittsburgh anyway. Comeds also made a good point about the Habs outworking them but I don't feel that's the main reason why they were able to beat the Pens either. To me, the reason lies in the regular season.

The Pens got beat, and pretty handily most times, by almost every team that played a good neutral zone trap. Jersey swept them, Pheonix beat them, Tampa Bay beat them. The Habs played the system perfectly that beat the Pens all season and the Pens were never able to really figure it out. The games that the Habs won looked an awful lot like all 6 games vs. the Devils. I'm sure that the Habs knew this going in.

Philly has been able to break down the trap this season as evidence by their regular season and playoff series vs. the Devils. They're now doing the same thing to the Habs. At least that's how I see it.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Caps outshot the Habs 96-38 in the final two games despite 8 PPs for the Habs. I don't think the defense threw it away. In fact, I think they played pretty well in those games save Mike Green. They dominated the Habs, but they couldn't finish and Halak was spectacular. Let's not make it more than it is.

i do think the flyers defense is better than the caps and pens although i do agree here. i think the caps and pens outplayed the canadiens and the canadiens were just able to score on their chances and halak did not let the caps and pens do that. some games it seemed like the caps and pens were in the canadiens zone all game and the canadiens would get like 3 or 4 chances to put the puck in the net and they did.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i do think the flyers defense is better than the caps and pens although i do agree here. i think the caps and pens outplayed the canadiens and the canadiens were just able to score on their chances and halak did not let the caps and pens do that. some games it seemed like the caps and pens were in the canadiens zone all game and the canadiens would get like 3 or 4 chances to put the puck in the net and they did.

Yeah, I totally agree with you on all points. All three teams gave up nearly identical goal totals over the season (though for the Flyers, I think their goalies were a little worse than the Caps/Pens, so that tells me their D is better). And the Flyers have a shut down man in Pronger, which neither the Caps or Pens have.

And yeah, the Caps/Pens both outplayed the Habs, but it's hockey. That's why the best teams in the league only win 50 games over the season and why you have to bring it when the postseason hits.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to admit I am a bit annoyed with them.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to admit I am a bit annoyed with them.

Now YOU should be. :) Hope they get back into it and make it a series, but you can only fall behind so many times and keep getting back up.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm going to be annoyed at the Habs, then I REALLY have to be annoyed with the Sharks. At least the Habs are losing to a higher seed on the road, where as the
Sharks, who are the #1 seed, have lost two straight at home, including a game, (game 1), where they had a 5-0 pp difference. Lets hope each team can make their series more interesting