• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All-Time Giants Starting 5

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking of this the other day with all of the good pitching we've seen in recent years. If you had to put together an All-Time starting 5 rotation for the Giants, who would you pick and in what order (minimum of at least 3 seasons pitched for the Giants)?

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow ... being an old timer I've seen quite afew pitchers between NY and SF

1. Juan Marichal
2. Gaylord Perry
3. Johnny Antonelli (I was very young but remember my father saying he was absolutley great)
4. Jason Schmidt
5. Matt Cain

Hate to leave Timmy off the list but after the 2 CY awards I think that Matt holds the 5th spot

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marichal, Mathewson, Perry, Antonelli, etc were all WAY before my time, so I cannot comment on them without doing research.

Off the top of my head, the top 5 since the Humm Baby years would be...

1) Timmeh (2 CY and a dominant post season are hands down, IMHO)
2) Schmidt
3) Cain

Past these three, it is hard without doing the research. A few names, though...

Reuschell
Swift
Estes
Bumgarner (he WILL be on these lists, but he is still SUPER young)
Rueter

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking of this the other day with all of the good pitching we've seen in recent years. If you had to put together an All-Time starting 5 rotation for the Giants, who would you pick and in what order (minimum of at least 3 seasons pitched for the Giants)?

1. Matthewson
2. Marichal
3. Hubbel
4. Perry
5. -- this is close among Grissom, Swift, Rusie, and Wilhelm. Note that Cain edges up on the convo.

5. Wilhelm
This is a great and worthy question. I approve :peace2:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow ... being an old timer I've seen quite afew pitchers between NY and SF

1. Juan Marichal
2. Gaylord Perry
3. Johnny Antonelli (I was very young but remember my father saying he was absolutley great)
4. Jason Schmidt
5. Matt Cain

Hate to leave Timmy off the list but after the 2 CY awards I think that Matt holds the 5th spot

You CANNOT leave out Matthewson or Hubbel, you just can't.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Obviously, Christy Mathewson and Carl Hubbell need to be in the discussion for all-time status, but I'll limit myself to SF Giants pitchers.

1. Juan Marichal
2. Tim Lincecum
3. Vida Blue
4. Jason Schmidt
5. Gaylord Perry

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can if you make it those who have pitched in SF since the team moved here.

But yeah, all time, they go 1-2.

Yeah, but that's not the title of the thread. However, that is an EXCELLENT discussion. 58- present all time SP? I will ponder.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Matthewson
2. Hubbell
3. Lincecum
4. Marichal
5. Perry

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Matthewson
2. Hubbell
3. Lincecum
4. Marichal
5. Perry

Not in that order, but those are the five.

I'd go:

1) Mathewson
2) Hubbell
3) Marichal
4) Perry
5) Lincecum

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Tim Lincecum
2. Matt Cain
3. Juan Marichal
4. Gaylord Perry
5. Madison Bumgarner

Matthewson and Hubbell were great for sure but waaay before all of our times and I can't say I know much about baseball back then. Johnny Antonelli stats-wise looks like he should be on the list, but I honestly don't know anything about him.

I don't think Vida Blue, Rick Reuschel and a few of those other guys were Giants long enough. Jason Schmidt was close - but he kind of choked down the stretch of what could have been his Cy Young year and he didn't win it all...

Which is why it's almost blasphemous that most of you didnt include both Matty and Timmeh on your lists!! I'll remind you all that Matt Cain gave up exactly 1 unearned run - or in other words nothing! - during the greatest year of all time 2010, in 21.1 over 3 starts. And Timmy was 4-1 with a 2.43 era and Madison was 2-0 with a 2.18 era. Champions I say!

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthewson and Hubbell were great for sure but waaay before all of our times and I can't say I know much about baseball back then. Johnny Antonelli stats-wise looks like he should be on the list, but I honestly don't know anything about him.

I don't think Vida Blue, Rick Reuschel and a few of those other guys were Giants long enough. Jason Schmidt was close - but he kind of choked down the stretch of what could have been his Cy Young year and he didn't win it all...

Which is why it's almost blasphemous that most of you didnt include both Matty and Timmeh on your lists!! I'll remind you all that Matt Cain gave up exactly 1 unearned run - or in other words nothing! - during the greatest year of all time 2010, in 21.1 over 3 starts. And Timmy was 4-1 with a 2.43 era and Madison was 2-0 with a 2.18 era. Champions I say!

As absolutely glorious as that was, you are talking about, what, three weeks of baseball? And if you are going that far, our best pitcher down the crucial stretch and early in the playoffs was - Jonathan Sanchez.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As absolutely glorious as that was, you are talking about, what, three weeks of baseball? And if you are going that far, our best pitcher down the crucial stretch and early in the playoffs was - Jonathan Sanchez.

It was glorious wasn't it?! But obviously I'm not talking about just the three weeks... Cain and Timmy have had excellent careers as well, and Bum is in the beginning of one, cherry on top was excellence in the playoffs and a WS Title - which no other SF Giant pitcher can match.

Sanchez was excellent down the stretch (no more so than Timmy or Bum, and Cain had several gems in September as well) and if by early in the playoffs you mean the 1 game in Atlanta then yes. But obviously he has had nowhere near the career of the other 3.

Marichal was awesome, no doubt! But no Title, so I gotta go with excellent with a title...

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Christy Matthewson
2. Carl Hubbell
3. Juan Marichel
4. Tim Lincecum
5. Matt Cain

Cain gets the nod over Perry due to his great last two seasons AND his magical postseason run. Ironically, Timmy, if given enough time, would probably work his way off this list. I have no idea how good Matthewson or Hubbell were, but they've got to be there. Maybe I should have done a NY top 5 and an SF top 5.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You CANNOT leave out Matthewson or Hubbel, you just can't.

I only ranked what I saw. I didn't include any of the other greats ... simply because I was only thinking about who I actually saw pitch