• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Top targets for QB-needy teams in 2017 | PFF

Geezus!

Don't like these FA options due to price (Cousins and Taylor), health (Romo), and proven INT maker (Cutler). Have a feeling the closer we get to the draft, the more Deshaun Watson will become favorable. We can always pick on flaws of ANY prospect, but think he is the best shot IF we draft QB.

Wary of Trubiskey because of his limited experience, whereas Watson has a lot of it, and against more top teams. Trubiskey makes me think 'two years of learning' at least, and unless he turns out Brady or Rogers afterward, that isn't worth #2 overall.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Will Shanahan, Lynch blow up the 49ers roster?

It depends because we each have a little different definition of "blowing up"? In this article he did go to the extreme with "blow up". But IMO that is more for reader effect than reality.

Clearly, there will be turnover this off-season, likely the most during this Lynch/Shanahan regime? We have a high draft slot plus extra draft picks, so these guys coming in via the draft, have an advantage.

Then whomever free agents we bring in, will more than likely stick. They will be FA's selected by this regime, so unless they totally bomb.......

But this combined draft/FA turnover, isn't "blowing up" the roster IMO.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Shanahan, Lynch blow up the 49ers roster?

It depends because we each have a little different definition of "blowing up"? In this article he did go to the extreme with "blow up". But IMO that is more for reader effect than reality.

Clearly, there will be turnover this off-season, likely the most during this Lynch/Shanahan regime? We have a high draft slot plus extra draft picks, so these guys coming in via the draft, have an advantage.

Then whomever free agents we bring in, will more than likely stick. They will be FA's selected by this regime, so unless they totally bomb.......

But this combined draft/FA turnover, isn't "blowing up" the roster IMO.
I would just ask anyone to name at least 5 players on this team worthy of a future SB run ,meaning at least three years down the road. Yep , blow the shit up if needed.

DestroyYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top targets for QB-needy teams in 2017 | PFF

Geezus!

Don't like these FA options due to price (Cousins and Taylor), health (Romo), and proven INT maker (Cutler). Have a feeling the closer we get to the draft, the more Deshaun Watson will become favorable. We can always pick on flaws of ANY prospect, but think he is the best shot IF we draft QB.

Wary of Trubiskey because of his limited experience, whereas Watson has a lot of it, and against more top teams. Trubiskey makes me think 'two years of learning' at least, and unless he turns out Brady or Rogers afterward, that isn't worth #2 overall.

It seems like we drafted at least one QB per year over the last 5-6 years, only to cut them immediately. I *WISH* we had at least given a few of them a shot as backups to possibly develop (Tolzien in particular comes to mind). Instead we'd cut them and them keep shit like Colt McCoy and Blaine Gabbert on the roster year after year. Add that shit along with the pile of shit that we called a starter for the better part of the last 4 seasons and you have what I like to call a real shit show at QB.

Tolzien along with Dylan Thompson at least deserved a shot to develop in my opinion. I mean shit, why didn't we at least give a guy like Driskel a fair shot to compete against the scrubs on the roster this last season?

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would just ask anyone to name at least 5 players on this team worthy of a future SB run ,meaning at least three years down the road. Yep , blow the shit up if needed.
@aircobra only two posts yet 4 negatives. Feel free to post why you don't like any comments.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to blow up a roster when it's already been done by the previous regime combined with the retirements. For the most part, a lot of those current guys will have to be weeded out in the next two or three years, and there are others who might be of some value but might not fit the schemes implemented - perhaps someone like Trent Brown (although I'd prefer he stick around).

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I could only name two, Hyde and Buckner. The rest are unproven, injured, too old or just plain dog doo-doo. Armstead might still be okay, but the cupboard is empty thanks to Baalke.:gaah: He must have been high and drunk during the drafts. :doh:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Report: Shanahan wants to bring QB Schaub to 49ers

Well, we know we need one veteran QB on the roster, we know he won't be a top NFL QB by any stretch, and we know he'll come with some kind of flawed play. But we do know he won't cost us franchise money, nor tie up cap space for an extended time. If Shannahan feels this is the best as a bridge - fine with me.

We know Schaub won't be a miracle, but again, we're looking for the best bridge without breaking the cap. This will allow the rookie we draft, to play when he's ready. IF solid value arises later, i'd draft a second QB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

when i read the article, i got the impression he meant blowing it up THIS off season.

Even without a regime change, most teams turn over most of their roster in 3 years. In our case now, most definitely it'll look a lot different after 3 years.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I could only name two, Hyde and Buckner. The rest are unproven, injured, too old or just plain dog doo-doo. Armstead might still be okay, but the cupboard is empty thanks to Baalke.:gaah: He must have been high and drunk during the drafts. :doh:

Yes, some of these guys we don't REALLY know yet (unproven), and a few seems to be injury prone (Armstead and Hyde). Nevertheless, for me in 3 years i think Armstead, Robinson, Tartt, Buckner, Ward, Garnett, Brown, and Kerley.

Even though i don't see these guys as future starters, think these guys might end up good back-ups....Blair, Kilgore, Tiller, and Dial.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As for the 49ers' offseason needs, La Canfora identified establishing an infrastructure. "This is a total and complete rebuild, outside of perhaps the defensive line," wrote La Canfora. "They need to hire the best scouts and execs possible to put around rookie GM John Lynch, because this is nothing like John Elway in Denver. Elway inherited some stud players, had a nice front office in place around him and Peyton Manning fell in his lap. Lynch has none of that. The 49ers had better establish a legit infrastructure above all else so they start to make shrewd decisions, because this is going to take time. College scouting director. Player personnel director. Pro personnel director. Get those right, or else." - See more at: http://www.************.com/article...ed-trading-torrey-smith/#sthash.NziuO00b.dpuf

good point! So Elway's time is a little overrated IMO.

But anyway, at this point Lynch is tilted more to Millen than Elway.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, some of these guys we don't REALLY know yet (unproven), and a few seems to be injury prone (Armstead and Hyde). Nevertheless, for me in 3 years i think Armstead, Robinson, Tartt, Buckner, Ward, Garnett, Brown, and Kerley.

Even though i don't see these guys as future starters, think these guys might end up good back-ups....Blair, Kilgore, Tiller, and Dial.

I agree with most of the list of players I don't think Kilgore will be a starter hopefully not for too much longer. It's still too early to tell if many of the guys are going to be good or bad but Ward, Tartt, Brown, Armstead and Kerley have at least shown that they have some talent if developed to be good players.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the 49ers' offseason needs, La Canfora identified establishing an infrastructure. "This is a total and complete rebuild, outside of perhaps the defensive line," wrote La Canfora. "They need to hire the best scouts and execs possible to put around rookie GM John Lynch, because this is nothing like John Elway in Denver. Elway inherited some stud players, had a nice front office in place around him and Peyton Manning fell in his lap. Lynch has none of that. The 49ers had better establish a legit infrastructure above all else so they start to make shrewd decisions, because this is going to take time. College scouting director. Player personnel director. Pro personnel director. Get those right, or else." - See more at: http://www.************.com/article...ed-trading-torrey-smith/#sthash.NziuO00b.dpuf

good point! So Elway's time is a little overrated IMO.

But anyway, at this point Lynch is tilted more to Millen than Elway.

Well I think the team he's taken over is more like Millen's in regard to talent and front office around him but he seems to be doing a better job of bringing in guys to have a team around him more like Elway which is promising.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well I think the team he's taken over is more like Millen's in regard to talent and front office around him but he seems to be doing a better job of bringing in guys to have a team around him more like Elway which is promising.

agreed, especially on the first point.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dilfer: Trade the farm for Jimmy Garoppolo if you have to

IF Garollolo really is the real deal, i would trade a 1st, 3rd, and 5th. But that is just it, there is the big "IF"?

It isn't just Dilfer's opinion if he can be believed, but seems like a majority opinion around the NFL. Does Lynch, Peters, and Shannahan believe it too, well see?

That IS a big price considering these are #2 in each round, but unless you have a QB......................

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Shanahan believes in the guy, go for it. If Shanahan believes in Trubisky enough to take him with the 2nd, go for it. Said it before and I'll say it again...having someone like Kyle Shanahan making those decisions on a QB makes it more comforting than say a Sean McDermott or a Vance Joseph at the HC position.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Shanahan believes in the guy, go for it. If Shanahan believes in Trubisky enough to take him with the 2nd, go for it. Said it before and I'll say it again...having someone like Kyle Shanahan making those decisions on a QB makes it more comforting than say a Sean McDermott or a Vance Joseph at the HC position.

True.

The decision may not end up being right, but right now you have to go with what you evaluate, and who you believe in.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wanted: A 'natural thrower' for Kyle Shanahan

Yep!

you start with the best passers, then go thru the other factors. Whether he's short, tall, fat, slow, unathletic, etc. start with passing skills. If you can throw the ball "effortlessly" as Shannahan says, you have a chance. I'd draft two QB's if value arises.

If you look the part like Kaep, but can't pass consistently, you won't succeed.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep!

you start with the best passers, then go thru the other factors. Whether he's short, tall, fat, slow, unathletic, etc. start with passing skills. If you can throw the ball "effortlessly" as Shannahan says, you have a chance. I'd draft two QB's if value arises.

Yep!

I heard that too Deep from his interview with KNBR. He wants a natural thrower or pure passer, whatever the terminology. I agree that the Niners should draft a couple of QB and bring in a veteran. Have three compete for the job. Have one of the rookies end up on the practice squad. That's what they should have done to Driskell last year. Look what the Redskins did when they drafted RG3 and Cousins in the same draft. The Raiders drafted Cook last year even though they have Carr. A team is only one injury away from depending on its backup QB.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard that too Deep from his interview with KNBR. He wants a natural thrower or pure passer, whatever the terminology. I agree that the Niners should draft a couple of QB and bring in a veteran. Have three compete for the job. Have one of the rookies end up on the practice squad. That's what they should have done to Driskell last year. Look what the Redskins did when they drafted RG3 and Cousins in the same draft. The Raiders drafted Cook last year even though they have Carr. A team is only one injury away from depending on its backup QB.

I think the whole draft strategy will change. Baalke was BPA all the time and you can't do that in football. He ignored the skill positions too long. Drafting 20 cornerbacks and 10 tight ends in two seasons is not the way to build a football team.