• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All thing fantasy baseball.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless your team is stacked to give you top 4 numbers in every other category, there really is no good time to punt in roto.

In a 10 team 5x5 league if you punt saves, that leaves only 90 points you can get. If you somehow manage to average 8 points in the remaining 9 categories, that's just 72 points. That would put you in 3rd right now in my league, and that's if you dominate all the other categories.

What category are you thinking of punting, saves or stolen bases? (cause those are the two logical choices)

Not to be a math snob, but its 91 and 73... you forgot to add the 1 for the punted category...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two years ago, I punted HRs and RBIs... I was not competing for first, i was competing to not be in last... Especially since I am in a last place team pays the third place team their winnings league... I ended up in 4th place because i traded for some elite pitching and some huge SB guys...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Generally speaking punting is not going to win you the league, but it may get you second or third if all goes well...

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, i am not saying i am going to punt, i just want to know what you people think about punting and when you should do it...

They only cat I consider punting is saves, as I usually draft a pretty balanced team from the get go. And, that one you can almost do from the draft. Aside from that, I think somewhere at the 2/3'rds point of the season you can start really assessing your position in a cat, and then make roster moves accordingly.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Generally speaking punting is not going to win you the league, but it may get you second or third if all goes well...

That was basically my point (mr. math major:lol:)
Punting in H2H is easy but punting in roto is almost a guarantee you'll not finish first. There really is no good time to punt. But to answer your question, give it until June 1st before you decide to take this course of action if that is what you choose to do.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those of you in keeper leagues, this will make you somewhat unhappy.

It was just announced that, due to injury, that any thoughts of the Mets calling up catching prospect Travis d’Arnaud are on hold because of a foot injury.

Marc Carig of New York Newsday reports that d’Arnaud suffered a non-displaced fracture thanks to taking a foul ball off his left foot at Triple-A. There’s no word yet on his return timetable, but he’s wearing a walking boot and headed to New York to be examined further.

d’Arnaud, who was acquired from the Blue Jays (along with Buck) in the R.A. Dickey trade, posted a .901 OPS in 12 games at Triple-A before the injury and is widely considered the best catching prospect in baseball at age 24.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And another thing. Cain is already getting it up today in his game vs. the Brewers, as he is down 5-0 after 2, after giving up a homer to drunk driver Yovani Gallardo.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mo Vaughn - staying classy to and for Boston.

Here is his 1/2 page add taken out in the Boston Globe.

“As a former Major League Baseball player, I spent 8 years playing in the greatest sports town in the country. I’m deeply saddened by the tragic events that took place this past Monday at The Boston Marathon. Patriots Day is the one day each year that this great city celebrates the bravery and heroism of the people that live here. As a community, you quickly pulled together by rushing to the aid of the many injured - first responders, runners and the spectators themselves - you all are heroes in my eyes. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the City of Boston, especially to the families and friends of those who lost their lives or were injured in this horrible incident.
“Boston Will March On.”

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And another thing. Cain is already getting it up today in his game vs. the Brewers, as he is down 5-0 after 2, after giving up a homer to drunk driver Yovani Gallardo.

Giants now down 7-0 after 3, with Cain looking less than able.

:omg:

shaggy10001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have been offered zack cozart or kyle seager for alex cobb or ross detwiler it is a 14 team dynasty league and it is a h2h cat league
here is the way my team looks now Justin Verlander SP Det
C.C Sabathia P NYY DL-Johnny Cueto Cin SP Kyle Lohse SP STL
Alex Cobb SP Tam Ross Detwiler SP Was Bud Norris SP Hou
Jason Vargas SP Sea Kevin Correia SP Pit Jake Westbrook SP StL
Jeremy Guthrie SP Kan Shawn Camp RP CHC Fernando Rodney RP Tam Addison Reed RP CHW DL-Joel Hanrahan RP Pit
Edwin Encarnacion 1B Tor Chase Utley 2B Phi Ben Zobrist 2B/SS/OF Tam
Jimmy Rollins SS Phi DL-Aramis Ramirez 3B Mil Jedd Gyorko 3B SD A.J. Pierzynski C CHW Russell Martin C Pit Carlos Beltran OF STL
DL-Curtis Granderson OF NYY Josh Willingham OF Min Nick Swisher OF NYY
Lucas Duda OF NYM Torii Hunter Of Det
so should i stay pat or look to improve my team another way?

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those of you in keeper leagues, this will make you somewhat unhappy.

It was just announced that, due to injury, that any thoughts of the Mets calling up catching prospect Travis d’Arnaud are on hold because of a foot injury.

Marc Carig of New York Newsday reports that d’Arnaud suffered a non-displaced fracture thanks to taking a foul ball off his left foot at Triple-A. There’s no word yet on his return timetable, but he’s wearing a walking boot and headed to New York to be examined further.

d’Arnaud, who was acquired from the Blue Jays (along with Buck) in the R.A. Dickey trade, posted a .901 OPS in 12 games at Triple-A before the injury and is widely considered the best catching prospect in baseball at age 24.

Damn, I guess I can take him off my radar for now.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope everyone remembered to bench Cain and Ogando today.

Lucky for me the guy I'm playing this week didn't! :yahoo:
:gaah:

Well, for me, not so much. I have to now go and check to see if they are on the same team. Juggling 5 teams means you pretty much have everyone good somewhere, so.....?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone NOT to look for anytime soon?

Mr. Derek Jeter.

He now will be out until mid July at the earliest, as I understand he hurt a different part of his ankle in a recent rehab session.

Looks like he will be back for 2014 then, ala Mr. Rivera, as he likely will not go out this way.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...news as it trickles in.....

"Don't call me Mike" Stanton is off the D/L, and ready to get walked 2-3 times a game by the Reds starting today.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yet ANOTHER top prospect is dinged up.

The Rays Wil Myers now has a bum foot. In his case though, he is only day to day. So, the only thing holding up his call to the bigs are the $$ associated with his service clock, and, all the promotiuons they have lined up for him this year in AAA Durham.

shaggy10001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have been offered zack cozart or kyle seager for alex cobb or ross detwiler it is a 14 team dynasty league and it is a h2h cat league
Jeremy Guthrie SP Kan Shawn Camp RP CHC Fernando Rodney RP Tam Addison Reed RP CHW DL-Joel Hanrahan RP Pit
Edwin Encarnacion 1B Tor Chase Utley 2B Phi Ben Zobrist 2B/SS/OF Tam
Jimmy Rollins SS Phi DL-Aramis Ramirez 3B Mil Jedd Gyorko 3B SD A.J. Pierzynski C CHW Russell Martin C Pit Carlos Beltran OF STL
so should i stay pat or accept it or decline the trade or look to improve my team another way?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeremy Guthrie SP Kan Shawn Camp RP CHC Fernando Rodney RP Tam Addison Reed RP CHW DL-Joel Hanrahan RP Pit Edwin Encarnacion 1B Tor Chase Utley 2B Phi Ben Zobrist 2B/SS/OF Tam
so should i stay pat or accept it or decline the trade or look to improve my team another way?

My first question here! Thank you.

I myself would go for the Detwiler for Cozart deal. Though I have Seager on a few teams, he has really struggled, to the point that he is already being rested in games. That, and he may be 2B only in your league and you already have a surplus of 2B guys ( with Gyorko being only a week or 2 from qualifying at 2B as well ), and I think Cozart is a better hitter, and plays in a TONS better hitters park. While you will miss Detwiler and his 10-12 wins, I still think this is the way to go.

Now, with all this said, I think it also would be wise for my comrads Reverend Jim & Tlance to chime in as well, as they have just as much good info and insight as I, if not more.

shaggy10001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first question here! Thank you.

I myself would go for the Detwiler for Cozart deal. Though I have Seager on a few teams, he has really struggled, to the point that he is already being rested in games. That, and he may be 2B only in your league and you already have a surplus of 2B guys ( with Gyorko being only a week or 2 from qualifying at 2B as well ), and I think Cozart is a better hitter, and plays in a TONS better hitters park. While you will miss Detwiler and his 10-12 wins, I still think this is the way to go.

Now, with all this said, I think it also would be wise for my comrads Reverend Jim & Tlance to chime in as well, as they have just as much good info and insight as I, if not more.

why would you trade detwiler instead of cobb for cozart?
and thank you for your insite bigd