• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alfredsson to have surgery

Urkie

The MVP...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just a week after being eliminated from the playoffs, Alfie will have surgery to repair a sports hernia.

Alfredsson faces surgery

I know a couple people who have had a sports hernia and the pain is excruciating. And considering he's 37 and supposed to be slowing down, it's pretty amazing that he played through that and did as well as he did.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know I just knew he was playing hurt! I am not suprised to hear hes having to get something fixed. He just wasnt playing like I was used too and had a feeling he may be playing hurt. Gotta love the pain these guys go through to get the cup. Unlike any other sport.

Jimmy_the_Tongue

Walks Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Alfie play hurt against the Pens last year too?...correct me if I'm wrong...but I thought he was....

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are right Jimmy......not 100% though.

Urkie

The MVP...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Didn't Alfie play hurt against the Pens last year too?...correct me if I'm wrong...but I thought he was....

He's always playing hurt but 2 years ago he did play a couple games against the Pens while he was hurt. That was when he got hit by Bell and suffered a minor concussion and ACL tear I believe. He played through it though.

The guy has a bigger heart then people give him credit for. He's just not a rah rah guy so no one really talks about him.

Urkie

The MVP...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Briere missed most of last season because of this...

It's a shitty injury but at least Alfie is having the surgery now and he'll be able to recover over the summer.

Briere missed a lot of time last year though, I do remember but a sports hernia is hell really. It's hard enough to skate with it but to keep up with other players is even harder plus you have to focus on what's going on around you through the pain in the forbidden area....lol

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things already not looking good for next season.

37 year old Alfie having major surgery. How will he recover, if at all?
38 year old Kovy too. I expect he'll hang 'em up. He's not the "play through it" type.
Then there's the Volchenkov issue...

*sigh*

Urkie

The MVP...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Things already not looking good for next season.

37 year old Alfie having major surgery. How will he recover, if at all?
38 year old Kovy too. I expect he'll hang 'em up. He's not the "play through it" type.
Then there's the Volchenkov issue...

*sigh*

Hopefully they're both fine but you do have to wonder. At their age a sports hernia surgery and an ACL/MCL surgery are a pretty big deal. The good news is they have the entire summer to try and work it out.

And from the sounds of it Volchenkov won't be back. He wants 4.5-5 million which is a little out of range considering the limited cap space.

Cheechoo will probably be bought out but that only frees up about 2 million and that's the only way Murray opens up cap space really. Volchenkov needs to come down at least 4-4.25 or he's not coming back...

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And from the sounds of it Volchenkov won't be back. He wants 4.5-5 million which is a little out of range considering the limited cap space.

Is that his "stay in Ottawa" price or his "open market" price?

If he said he wants "only" 5 mil, half the GMs in the league just wet their pants and sprained their hands grabbing for their phones.

I swear, if Murray blows this...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully they're both fine but you do have to wonder. At their age a sports hernia surgery and an ACL/MCL surgery are a pretty big deal. The good news is they have the entire summer to try and work it out.

Cheechoo will probably be bought out but that only frees up about 2 million and that's the only way Murray opens up cap space really. Volchenkov needs to come down at least 4-4.25 or he's not coming back...

Sammy Pahlsson played through most of the 07 playoffs, including the SCF, with a sports hernia injury. He kept getting off days on practice days, but no one ever said what the injury was.

Over the summer, he had surgery on it, and still missed almost the first month of games. Ended up missing more games around the turn of the calendar year (07-08), and really hasn't been the same since.

Ryan Getzlaf had the same injury. Had surgery last summer and it took longer to heal than expected. It certainly slowed him down during the first part of the season.

Not an easy injury to recover to full form from.

Urkie

The MVP...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is that his "stay in Ottawa" price or his "open market" price?

If he said he wants "only" 5 mil, half the GMs in the league just wet their pants and sprained their hands grabbing for their phones.

I swear, if Murray blows this...

He could get 5 million on the open market easily. If Komisarek could get 4.5 last summer then Volchenkov won't take anything under that. But I do believe he wants to test his value on the open market and at that point Ottawa won't be able to bring him back.

There just isn't enough cap space and the way Murray was talking yesterday it sounded as if he's getting ready for life after Anton...

Urkie

The MVP...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sammy Pahlsson played through most of the 07 playoffs, including the SCF, with a sports hernia injury. He kept getting off days on practice days, but no one ever said what the injury was.

Over the summer, he had surgery on it, and still missed almost the first month of games. Ended up missing more games around the turn of the calendar year (07-08), and really hasn't been the same since.

Ryan Getzlaf had the same injury. Had surgery last summer and it took longer to heal than expected. It certainly slowed him down during the first part of the season.

Not an easy injury to recover to full form from.

That makes me nervous ducky...

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could get 5 million on the open market easily.

Wade Redden got 6.5m, Chara got 7.5m. Hell, Commodore got 3.8.

Anton will get above 5. 5.5 or 5.75 at least. I'm thinking probably above 6. Sheldon Souray at 6.25? Friggin JAY MCKEE makes 4m.

If he would sign in Ottawa for 4.5, you do it and waive anyone you can to get there. Assuming you have an IQ above Tree Bark.

Urkie

The MVP...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wade Redden got 6.5m, Chara got 7.5m. Hell, Commodore got 3.8.

Anton will get above 5. 5.5 or 5.75 at least. I'm thinking probably above 6. Sheldon Souray at 6.25? Friggin JAY MCKEE makes 4m.

If he would sign in Ottawa for 4.5, you do it and waive anyone you can to get there. Assuming you have an IQ above Tree Bark.

Pretty much but I don't know for sure if he would come back for 4.5 million. But I feel paying over 5 million per for a one dimensional defensemen would be cap suicide.

I mean, lets face it. He's not going to be quarterbacking a power play any time soon so is he worth that much?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, lets face it. He's not going to be quarterbacking a power play any time soon so is he worth that much?

Playing in a conference where the Sens face Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom, Kessel, Savard, Parise, Kovalchuk (assuming), Carter, Richards, Tavares, Lecavalier, St Louis, Stamkos, Vanek and three Staals regularly? A shot blocking, shut down defenceman is worth his weight in gold.

They have two PP QBs under contract.

Urkie

The MVP...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Playing in a conference where the Sens face Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom, Kessel, Savard, Parise, Kovalchuk (assuming), Carter, Richards, Tavares, Lecavalier, St Louis, Stamkos, Vanek and three Staals regularly? A shot blocking, shut down defenceman is worth his weight in gold.

They have two PP QBs under contract.

I guess you have a pretty good point here...

Still, it's not an easy decision to make and it may hinder Murray's ability to add a vital piece to the team in the future.

It wouldn't shock me if he was resigned but it wouldn't surprise me if he left either. Murray made it sound like the latter in his season ending press conference.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you have a pretty good point here...

Still, it's not an easy decision to make and it may hinder Murray's ability to add a vital piece to the team in the future.

It wouldn't shock me if he was resigned but it wouldn't surprise me if he left either. Murray made it sound like the latter in his season ending press conference.

Let's hope he at least made an attempt to call Anton, or his agent. Unlike Chara, Commodore, etc.

As for the vital piece for the future... The way I see it, if they don't have it in three years' time, they might have to blow it up and rebuild.

3 years from now, there will be no Alfie, no Kovy, Probably no Phillips or Kuba. Fisher may have moved to Nashville to be with his woman, Neil won't have anything left and Michalek will probably garner a lot of interest out there.

The cupboard is pretty bare. They were good enough for long enough to really have not much in the system. Zach Smith and Jesse Winchester? That's what we're looking forward to?

Sign A - train at 4.5/5 for 3 years. That's probably all you'll get out of him anyway. Add a puck mover in place of meat-head Carkner.

Where the Sens NEED to spend money is on Physical therapists. :)